sooooo nervous

sailnsee

never ever booked a guarantee(we are diamonds)BUT just changed from an inside(2 cabins with sr. discounts) to a balcony gt.because the diff. was about 120$pp-not much for the xtra room on a 10 day med cruise... no difference in the fuel charge but the insurance went up 30$pp(based on price) ... still kept our 200$ obc and took 300$ off of the balcony discount-so now waiting it out! I need to hear some GOOD stories...and hope to be able to change if it requires xtra walking(O:-keeping my fingers crossed.

Any one out there waiting too or a good experience?

Sounds like a good gamble to me. I probably prefer to wait til after final payment and then upgrade if available (and low price gaurantee pretty much says that they will be available) to a specific cabin, but I think you can't help but end up happy with a balcony for a tiny amount more than an inside. Are there any obstructed balconies on your ship? That would be the worst case, and it isn't that big considering the view of an inside!;)

Do not expect to be able to change your cabin if it requires extra walking, unless you are prepared to pay the cost of an assigned cabin.

Here's my experience last week:

My DH and I booked an inside guarantee 5 days before the cruise left and were assigned a room the next day on the top floor, in the furthest aft cabin. This would have been fine except that I injured my foot and was worried about walking too far. So I called RCCL 3 days before the cruise and asked for a room assignment closer to an elevator and was told that all they could do was to put me back in the assignment pool and I agreed to this. I then ended up on the 3rd floor the next day, in the furthest forward cabin, which was probably even further from an elevator, and called and was told there was nowhere else to put us. We of course tried to change cabins when we arrived but of course they said they were full (I've never been on a cruise that they didn't say they were full).

Unfortunately, my cabin change created a big mix up for the cruise, as they put us in a room that had been reserved for someone else (they ended up with an upgrade to an outside cabin), and our booking was no where to be found. (Yes, I had checked in on line and had a boarding pass with the new room assignment)! It took us an hour to check in at the dock despite Platinum priority boarding and no one being in line in front of us. I was given a card with my name on the front but someone else's information came up when it was scanned, so they wouldn't let me on the ship until I checked in again and got another card (30 minutes each time). My card did not reflect my dining room table assignment or my Platinum status, so I was told to line up at the service desk on the ship. From there, they sent me to line up for the Maitre D' and to line up to see the C &A loyalty ambassador. We got to the cabin and found 2 separate beds and a cabin attendant who thought we were someone else. By the end of the first night, it was all straightened out, but we spent about 2 hours lining up (on my injured foot) instead of enjoying our vacation. The last morning, we got a bill for the people who were supposed to be in our cabin.

I've never changed cabins before, and I don't think that I will try this again!

I hope that you get a great balcony and that you have a great cruise...

we did get our cabin #-it is on deck 8-in the aft area-far walking to the elevator but went from deck 9 mid interior up 11 cat. to a cat. D balcony...and they gave us side by side cabins so I think that it is all good for about 50$ pp when everything is totaled(O:I don't want to push it but may see if I can get something closer(MRI on knee this wk.)

For the record, I am just speculating here, but

It makes sense to me that people who opt for the guaranteed room likely will end up aft or forwards in most cases.

Why?

Because people who opt to pay to select their cabin normally go for the middle (or maybe aft balconies) leaving the only rooms available forward or aft. When I review people talking about rooms on the board, being near the elevator, on the hump, or towards the center seems to be the overwheling favorite, hence, when it becomes time to assign cabins, the people with the guaranteed room are more likely to get the less preferred areas, even if they wish to change.

Therefore, If you need or wish a certain area, it seems paying paying for the exact cabin is the best way to go. If it truly doesn't matter, then going with the guarantee is best.

Just a thought

Dolby1000

We originally had an OV cabin, but noticed a couple weeks ago R/C had reduced the lowest balcony guarantee price to about $150 pp more in cost, so we took the gamble and switched. Originally, our cabin would've been all the way forward (our window view would have been the helicopter pad). We have recently been assigned our balcony guarantee room--it's a handicap access cabin, almost mid-ship and close to the elevators. We're also first time cruisers on R/C. Woohoo!!!!!!:D

called Rccl and taked to a very nice gal...we are now on 9-no prob. with the deck...but are a lot closer to the elevator-almost midship! and closer to the CL-that was NOT a factor but it doesn't hurt when the ole' knee starts hurtin"...they have always been fair and polite with me and I have cruised 23 times(15 on them) so we're going for D+-I do think that they try their best to help you out...but Be Nice(O:

Archived