Best Moments For You In A Cruise

liz000

When you go on a cruise there always seems to be one or two moments where you think to yourself "this is it, this is what its all about". So what is yours? I have two. The first is when I am on my balcony maybe the second night when the chaos and excitement has died down a little and I look out over the water at night and watch the gentle waves go by and the surf makes that awesome noise when the ship makes its wake. It is so peaceful and begs for reflection.

The second is the first moment I realize the ship has left the dock and we are officially underway. Its a great feeling!

Interested in others opinions

Here are my unforgettable moments:

1. When I get on board and can forget about work!

2. Waiting for the first game of trivia to start!

Yeah!!! OK - there's more but being a cruiser, you know what's best about a cruise! Just being on the open seas!

For me there are 2:

1. The actual boarding - - walking up the gangway and stepping onboard.

2. Standing on my balcony, "boat drink" in hand, looking down at the pier, and seeing the gap between to edge of the pier and the ship widening as we push away and begin the adventure.

May sound silly to some but there are two (main) great moments. The first one is when my DH comes home from work on that last day as we are getting ready to leave for our cruise "he turns off both of his pages and both of his "work" cell phones!" and announces "I am on vacation",it had become almost a ceremony to us! When he is on vacation, out of the country, is the ONLY time he is allowed to turn off these items!"

My second great moment is when I see my DH is a lounge chair with a drink in hand at sail away. We both love the sail away and my DH had a very stressful job - it is SO great for me to see him relaxed and enjoying himself. The very first cruise we went on I just about had to "hog tie" dear, dear DH to get him aboard. Now he is one of cruising's biggest fans! He tells everyone that cruising is the best vacation EVER! :D

I love to sit back and watch the skyline fade behind us as DH and I relax. I do not feel that there is anything as relaxing as being on the sea!:)

I've a couple hundred cruises in my history....and still cruise 2/3 times a year.

The absolute best moment of any cruise is crossing that portal from land to sea when boarding. As the saying goes, "it's a whole different world".

And, I still get the greatest thrill the first time I spy "my" ship sitting there waiting for me.........

Best times for us is:

1) when we arrive to the port and see "our" ship docked there, waiting for us;

2) when we get our first sip of Champagne on our arrival aboard Celebrity ships, it's then that we know we are on vacation!!!!

40 more days to go....

I think the best moment for me is when when all the "hoopla" has died down and I find myslef alone or with DH in a quiet place. Feeling the sea and the wind...I realize how lucky I am to be here, at this moment.......I never thought I would be able to be at sea. What a gift, when I think about this, it's my favorite time!

The cruise begins the moment I leave the store on that last day of work and say "see you in 2 weeks!"

And while my countdown clock shows how much time is left until sailaway, my internal countdown clock says that the cruise starts about 48 hours earlier.

Another euphoric moment happens when we actually set foot on the ship and some charming crew member says "Welcome aboard!"

And I love to watch them cast off the lines and watch the space between ship and pier as that space grows...

I think my favorite is when you finally find your cabin, get your bags and put away most of the stuff, walk out on the balcony with a drink and a cigar, and fire up the MP3 and listen to Buffet. That's the end of the travel stress and start of the CRUISE!

Man, this thread's getting me all worked up. Gonna have to book a cruise soon and ditch these no-cruise-booked blues.:(

Fair winds,

JHC

i've just read through this thread and have goose-bumps.

also love after i've been 'dinged' aboard and am on my way to check out the cabin.

my best memory is a picture i have of the first cruise with my kids. they were all dressed up, 3 young teens, outside on the the promenade deck with the sun setting in the background. worth the cost of the cruise just for that one snapshot of our life.

Usually, just walking up to the ship after checking in is the biggest moment for me. My heart races with excitement, - I am a true cruise junkie but am lucky to go every year or two. (5 cruises so far) but this last cruise, my 80 year old parents were almost not allowed to board with us - we sat in immigration for 3 hours, the Ship actually waited for us all and we did not know if they were going to let them on until 10 min after sailing time. They had their passports but did not have their alien cards (they are canadian but permanent residents of the states for 30 years) - it was the worst hours of my life trying to figure out how to not leave them at the terminal (we had 5 rooms booked for the family & they were the only ones they were not going to let on) - I think walking up to the ship on further cruises will never be the same thrill. It took us two days on the ship to finally calm down enough to enjoy the remainder of the cruise. My folks were finally allowed to board and the ship sailed half hour late, but what a horrible experience.

• 3 weeks later...

I love this thread. 8 weeks and my sister, friend and I are cruising. I love the feeling of standing on deck, drink in hand, and hearing the horn blow as we leave on our way to an amazing cruise. One of my favorite sounds of all time is that horn blowing signaling leaving port.

Sitting on the Promenade deck the first morning of the cruise with a Nutty Irishman coffee drink and a book.

Standing on my balcony at midnight are thereabouts after a wonderful day and looking at the water, stars and feeling the most amazing peaceful, grateful feeling.

Drinking shots of teguila in Mexico with whomever I may be cruising with. One of my favorite teguila memories is when I cruised with my niece Adelle. We were in Cabo on a snorkeling shore excursion. We met two couples from New York. Nicest people. They had never done shots of teguila so we all went to Cabo Wabo and they were initiated to the wonders of teguila, salt, and lime. Great memory.

After driving to the airport, usually during or shortly after a December, Denver snow storm, trudging thru the slop to the terminal in an aloha shirt, shorts and flipflops tolerating the giggles and remarks on the way, warming my fingers in a hot cup of coffee while we wait to board, the magic moment is when we lift off the runway and hear the wheels lock into the wheel wells. The adventure has begun. ;)

Having just returned from our first cruise I can join in this thread now.

For me, it was the first time I saw our ship waiting at the dock, I got goosbumps, turned, looked at my daughter who had a tear in her eye and said "lets go mum"!

Archived