Border Crossing waits going to Vancouver

Av8tor

We'll be driving a rental car to Vancouver on Friday and was wondering if any members could enlighten us on border wait times. We hope to be at the border around 2pm or so...

I've checked the WSDOT website and it has data from the last two Friday afternoons that show the I-5 northbound (Peace Arch) wait can be 45 minutes to over 2 hours between 2 and 7pm :( . Exiting I-5 a bit earlier and using the Pacific Highway crossing (Rte 543) shows much shorter waits on the order of 15-20 minutes during the same times. With that much time savings, why don't more people use that crossing? Are there any disadvantages to the Pacific Highway Crossing other than just having to get off the interstate? :confused:

Is there any way to check on the wait times via cell phone while you're driving up I-5 or do they have electronic signs or highway radio transmitters disseminating that information as you approach Blaine, WA?

What have your experiences been?

Thanks for your help,

Paul & Jackie

Paul and Jackie:

We always use the other crossing when we drive to Vancouver. The "truck crossing", which we always call it is almost always so much quicker and easier than Blaine. You never hear about the problems there like you do at the Peace Arch. It is easy and quick and that would be my the one I would head for.

Have a great cruise on the Sapphire Princess. We really like the ship.

Hi!

I'm a Vancouverite who enjoys a National Pasttime - American shopping. Border towns are very close to me and I use the border OFTEN!

Some answers to your questions on border line-ups:

Radio - http://www.am730traffic.com/

Tune into 730 AM station for frequent border wait updates

Wireless - http://canada.gc.ca/mobile/wireless-eng.html

Canadian border crossings have gone mobile

There are electronic signs though I feel the ones on the US side are not updated that often.

Pacific Highway crossing is known as the 'truck crossing' so at times you can be stuck behind a zillion semis. The other reason this border crossing is not as popular is that the route to Vancouver is not as direct as Peace Arch. Really not that much of a hurdle IMHO.

Must forewarn you that the American border is undergoing MAJOR construction and the waits lately have been rather lengthy - I've heard horror stories of up to 3 hours! Details at http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/I5/BlaineInterchange/

and another road project with potential drivers using I5 - details at http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/News/2008/09/16_539CulvertReplacementDelays.htm

Lisa

Definitely agree with the truck crossing, we haven't been through Peach Arch in years. It's Exit 275 just go straight, go through the border and then go straight until you come to a major intersection...not the little intersection still in the border area. There's a Little house with a gas station on the right hand side. Turn Left and then follow the signs to Vancouver, you'll be right back on the highway.

The Friday before last we crossed into the US at the Truck Crossing about 5PM on Friday...and were pleasantly surprised that it was only about a 20 minutes lineup.

Last Saturday we crossed into US about 2 PM at Truck Crossing, 90 minute lineup!We went through duty-free, but it still took us at least an hour.

Coming back into Canada last Sunday around 10AM the lineup was considerably shorter at Peace Arch, according to the sign(took us about 20 minutes). No disadvantage to using Peace Arch.

Make sure that the rental car company allows you to take the car across the border. I've heard some horror stories.

American's can take US plated cars into Canada without problem.

The stories you are referring to are about Canadians taking US plated cars into Canada - which cannot be done.

American's can take US plated cars into Canada without problem.

The stories you are referring to are about Canadians taking US plated cars into Canada - which cannot be done.

I quite agree with this however on very rare occasion Candadian Customs may ask for evidence of insurance. So if you are relying on your own insurance it is not a bad idea to talk to your insurance company about obtaining a Canadian or International Pink Slip.

Thanks for mentioning the insurance thing. Since it's a one-way rental with the drop-off in Canada, I'd think the rental company would have the paperwork in order. My personal insurance company already sent me a certificate stating that my insurance would be in force just so I wouldn't be delayed IF the rental company screwed up their paperwork.

To be sure, I called the AVIS location today and they confirmed that they had a "Canadian" car all ready for me to drive and drop there with all the proper insurance documents prepared. Let's hope so, I have a 6 hour drive and want to cross the border right around 2pm.

Sail On (or in this case should I say drive and sail on),

Paul

Thanks for mentioning the insurance thing. Since it's a one-way rental with the drop-off in Canada, I'd think the rental company would have the paperwork in order. My personal insurance company already sent me a certificate stating that my insurance would be in force just so I wouldn't be delayed IF the rental company screwed up their paperwork.

To be sure, I called the AVIS location today and they confirmed that they had a "Canadian" car all ready for me to drive and drop there with all the proper insurance documents prepared. Let's hope so, I have a 6 hour drive and want to cross the border right around 2pm.

Sail On (or in this case should I say drive and sail on),

Paul

Are you coming from the Vancouver/Portland area? Seattle/Olympia is 4 hrs max, with traffic.

Archived