The Turtle Farm - Would this change YOUR opinion?

crusinmama06

On the Disney board someone was asking about the Grand Caymen turtle farm when someone else replied that she won't take her kids there because they raise the turtle to eat them.

And that poster was right, found this on their web site...

What do you do with all those turtles?

About 60% of each year's hatchlings are raised to 3 - 4 years of age to be processed for food that is sold locally (a national delicacy). Out of these, 1 to 2% are kept to become future breeders instead of food. The remaining 40% are released into the ocean when they are around one year old. This "headstarting" gives the turtles a better chance of survival.

So now I guess the question is, would this change YOUR mind about taking the kids there???? Obviously there is no right or wrong answer. I was just wondering the thoughts on this. :)

I guess we take our kids to a normal farm even though those animals are made into food. Would you go to a turtle farm?

True story....

We are driving past a beef farm and the cows are outside with their newborn calves.....almost everyone in the car is exclaiming how cute they are....I wake up and look outside and first thing that pops out of my mouthis, "YUMMMM Veal " :)

I would have no problem visting this farm.

I wouldn't go again but not because of the turtles being raised for food (which we were told when we went a few yrs ago) but it was so BORING!!!!

When we went, there were a few pools w/ turtles in them. A worker would take one out if you wanted to touch....uum, no thanks...and that was it. I was ready to leave soon after we got there.

Maybe that has changed since we were there but I saw it in Feb when we were in Grand Caymen and it still looked the same.

We've actually been as well, held the babies. Very cute indeed, and our guide actually had turtle soup in the cafe there - they actually sell it right there.....we didn't know before we went but it didn't curb our enjoyment of the place at all.

Archived