Key West Port

As of january the Grandeur of the Seas' 4 day out of Tampa has dropped Key West as a port of call. Our TA checked and the Majesty of the Seas still is making Key West a port of call. She went on and said that RCL implied it was for fuel conservation but that they would not come right out and say so.

Don't really understand about cutting out ports to save fuel when we are still paying fuel surcharges and oil is getting cheaper.

Bill

If it was hurricane damage why are they not canceling Nov and Dec GOS 4 night that stops at Key West or canceling Majesty of the seas stops at Key West.

It's getting a little frustrating with RCL when dealing with them changing port of calls. Would rather be told the truth.

I asked C&A why they dropped KW and was told it was due to hurricane damage. Okay, RC come clean, why no KW?

This is B.S. I work on the Key West waterfront. There is no hurricane damage to the port. Grandeur dropped Key West due to fuel costs.

Majesty still visits every Thursday and Enchantment is still a regular.

This is B.S. I work on the Key West waterfront. There is no hurricane damage to the port. Grandeur dropped Key West due to fuel costs.

Majesty still visits every Thursday and Enchantment is still a regular.

Well... Enchantment is going to spend 1/2 year in Panama and "rumor has it" that Majesty will be sold (sorry... "moved" to another of the RCI fleets) in 2010.... sooooo both those "events" would impact KW... one of our favorite stops:(

Cut a port stop due to fuel costs:confused: How does that make sense...if they don't port and spend a day at sea that burns more fuel....only savings would mean they spend a night at a port and don't move, skipping a stop.

This is not accurate. The Grandeur goes to Key West (short stay), then to Cozumel. The overnight motor to Cozumel at 20+ knots burns more fuel than a sea day at a much slower speed. Plus, the ship recovers more of the cost by everyone spending their money on board.

Cut a port stop due to fuel costs:confused: How does that make sense...if they don't port and spend a day at sea that burns more fuel....only savings would mean they spend a night at a port and don't move, skipping a stop.

Going straight to Cozumel from Tampa at a 'fuel efficient' speed will probably be cheaper that going fast south to Key West and then booking to Cozumel. Faster speeds eat up more fuel.

I'm not to happy, but then I won't be on the ship at that point. That's a favorite port for crewmembers with post office/bank/grocery/walgreens being a quick walk from the ship :(

Well... Enchantment is going to spend 1/2 year in Panama and "rumor has it" that Majesty will be sold (sorry... "moved" to another of the RCI fleets) in 2010.... sooooo both those "events" would impact KW... one of our favorite stops:(

And when that happens, I'm certain RC will move another ship to Miami for the short cruises....probably a Vision Class. This is just speculation...the issues with Key West that I stated, however, is fact.

Just to clarify...this issue came up with Radiance earlier in the year as well. She was porting in Key West for a very short stop. She was underway at 2:00 to motor at max cruising speed overnight to the next port (I believe Cozumel). Radiance has since repositioned, but I do not foresee her old itinerary ever coming back.

When is Enchantment spending 1/2 year in Panama. If the itineraries are on their website to Key West, then they will still go, right? I am new to cruising, so I have no idea what the cruislines can do. Thanks.

It's still all over the website.

Where did you read this?????

I read this in one of the wedding posts. Someone's TA was sent a fax stating that RCI was no longer going to Key West due to port charges. Although, I didn't see any notice of this on their website. All I can say is that I already paid a deposit on a wedding planner for 11/10/09, so I may just book the Carnival cruise, rather than the RCI cruise.

Just to clarify...this issue came up with Radiance earlier in the year as well. She was porting in Key West for a very short stop. She was underway at 2:00 to motor at max cruising speed overnight to the next port (I believe Cozumel).

that is the exact reason as why it is cheaper. yes, they dont use fuel in port, but then have to go full speed to get down there, using ALOT OF FUEL. they determined that it is cheaper for them to go at a slower speed to the next port, and skip key west all together. it does suck, weve gone there once and loved it, but that is another side affect of the high fuel charges....

and yes, fuel is coming down, but is still at a record high......this charge is here for awhile....unfortunately....

greg

This is not accurate. The Grandeur goes to Key West (short stay), then to Cozumel. The overnight motor to Cozumel at 20+ knots burns more fuel than a sea day at a much slower speed. Plus, the ship recovers more of the cost by everyone spending their money on board.

so if they are saving fuel, shouldnt the passengers get a refund since they are saving fuel + the costs of oil are coming down.?

Personally, I think RCI is way in over thier heads with the Mega Ship Theory.....Oasis...etc

so if they are saving fuel, shouldnt the passengers get a refund since they are saving fuel + the costs of oil are coming down.?

Personally, I think RCI is way in over thier heads with the Mega Ship Theory.....Oasis...etc

The mega ships are much more fuel efficient per passenger. Bigger ships make more sense in terms of profit, fuel usage, and the environment.

We have been planning on Grandeur 4/9/09 from Tampa to KW, Cozmel (4 day), I just checked and KW has been dropped :mad: , oh well, we are also doing a B2B Majesty for 9/4/09 and KW is still listed on the 4 day Majesty trip.

So if they have decided to drop Key West from certain itineraries, then they have already done that? Do you think I am still okay with the Enchantment of the Seas sailing 11/9/09? I have to get to Key West on 11/10/09, so if they are going to change the Enchantment itinerary, I need to know. I will just have to call them, but I'm not sure I will get a straight answer.

Actually, as of today, oil went back up. Figures, huh? :rolleyes:

Do you think I am still okay with the Enchantment of the Seas

Enchantment ports in Key West for a full day, and is usually followed or preceeded by a sea day. Enchantment and Majesty are Key West regulars. You're safe.

Archived