Cars in Galveston

fireflytx

I feel so sorry for all of their losses. If you did lose your car to the storm, why would you park in the path of a hurricane. It was a 50/50 chance that the storm was headed to that area of TX days before the sailing.

That is a legitimate question for folks on the Ecstasy.

However the Conquest folks left a week for Ike hit. At the time they boarded, Gustav was the only concern and it was clearly going to Louisiana by then. Galveston never even got a drop of rain from Gustav ( we were there waiting to get on the Ecstasy 3 day cruise to nowhere).

When the Conquest folks boarded, Ike was a hurricane that "might" hit "somewhere" in a week......

There are many people who live here or are visitors that have never experienced the force of a Hurricane. Many people choose to ignore the warnings about this storm, they went on a cruise, stayed at home or did not evacuate in time.

I don't know what transpired between the cruiseline and the passengers but if they were paying attention to the track and reports on this storm, they was no doubt that we were going to "get it"

The fact that Galveston has a "sea wall" doesn't hold water so to speak. The bay side of Galveston is unprotected and that is were the tidal surge came from.

I would think those who choose to cruise would have left there car someplace else and found another way to get to Galveston, but then they might not have had any way other than to drive to Galveston and hope for the best.

You are so right DannyMac! There is a whole new generation of people since Alicia hit here in '83! It has been so long since a major hurricane has come thru that alot of folks just were not privy to what might happen. Also I think Ike proves that no matter how up-to-date our weather models and computer software etc., etc. are, your truly cannot predict hurricanes. They have a mind of their own! Ike changed landfall predictions every 24 hrs. The models had to change projected paths everytime new numbers came in. Even though my town was not under evacuation orders, I will never stay for another one. Too scary! And for those who were ordered to leave and didnt....shame on you for letting your loved ones worry about you! Swallow that pride and get the hec out!!

Karen,

Your right on about the track of IKE changing every 24hrs. We monitor the United States Navy Tropical Cyclone page and it updates every 12 hrs, they had this storm moving in our direction.

The thing to watch is the barometric pressure, area of lowest pressure will attract the storm. Its a shame the cold front didn't arrive 24 hours earlier, if it had we would not be having this conversation.

I would think those who choose to cruise would have left there car someplace else and found another way to get to Galveston, but then they might not have had any way other than to drive to Galveston and hope for the best.

I would think out of that many people many were in this situation.......

Archived