Aft SC to SY - Will we be Dissappointed???

COLandlocked

Due to a change in my work status, I think we need to change from a SC Aft on the Oosterdam (Mexican Riveria) to an SY. Do you think we will be dissappointed?

We are a family of three (me, DH and 9yo DS)? Have only traveled on the Deluxe Suites before. Realize, I will not have Neptune Lounge, Dry Cleaning, Menus, Etc.

But how much smaller is the cabin? What else will I loose? I know I should just be happy to be going, but wanted to be prepared.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

SY cabins can be close in size to many of the SCs. On Westerdam: SC4185 is, for example, 324sf; SC5190 and 5191 are 365sf; SC6166 and 6177 are 311sf (compared to 391sf for most of the SAs). Most of the non-handicapable SYs are 294sf.

And SYs are more midship than the aft SCs ... making them more convenient on a day to day basis.

No doubt the suite perks are something you will probably miss, but the cabin size itself may not be too very different ...

I would say that 99% of the time when on a Vista Class ship we too stay in a SC Corner aft but we have also been in a SY on the Noordam and to be truthful I was afraid we would be dissappointed. But to my amazement we loved it. The bathroom is exactly the same size, what you end up missing is the dressing area with the extra closet as well as use of the Neptune. But to be truthful when we have a corner aft we seldom use the Neptune because it is so far away so we really did not miss it. Then I thought I would miss the dressing area but to my surprise I actually liked the more natural daylight to apply makeup and do my hair rather than orange darker lighting in the dressing area of the Vista S Suites. For the money the SY/SS suites cannot be beat on the Oosterdam. I totally understand the need to cut down on the spending and we too have done the same on a few of our upcoming cruises. ;)

having just sailed a SA and previously a SY, there is no need to worry, the bathroom is the same, still a great size cabin, and the Neptune Lounge is nice but not a deal breaker. Though nice, the NL was unable to do anything for us that we needed (ie: like help us deal with our awful AYW dinning experience). I have no idea why the concierges can't help with AYW dinning reservations, isn't that why there is a hefty premium on these cabins over the smaller suites? (an no we did not get our preferred dinning choice). Go and enjoy the SY

I think you'll be fine. Those are nice cabins.

As "WeLove" says........ You know there will be some things you are giving up but if you keep that in your mind prior to boarding, you will accept that. You'll have a great time anyway. You still have a lovely cabin with a wonderful veranda. Just smaller....... Shouldn't be a big deal hopefully.

We are going from an SA on our first trip on the Noordam, we had been offered an upsell to an SA from a VA that I couldnt turn down, it was such a good deal , to an SY this time just because it was also a great deal.

I will miss the laundry perk but I will buy it and save to spend at the spa and thermal chairs.Our friends had an SY on our last cruise and it was also very nice. Just a little smaller.

Enjoy, I know we will.

I would very much like to know how you do in the smaller suite. I have only been in the deluxe and we have another one this november, however I am considering a smaller suite for next year. I am just afraid I may miss the perks too much. Please come back and share your experience with us.

Hi. My DW and I are booked in a SC, corner aft deck 5, on the Noordam in Nov 09. How are these cabins? Any noise from the engines? This is our first time on HAL and we're really looking forward to it.

Welcome to HAL! We've stayed in those suites before on the Westerdam, which is the same class ship as the Noordam. No noise whatsover. The best thing about those suites is the huge balcony. You will have a bit of a walk to the Neptune Lounge, but the balcony is great.

SY cabins can be close in size to many of the SCs. On Westerdam: SC4185 is, for example, 324sf; SC5190 and 5191 are 365sf; SC6166 and 6177 are 311sf (compared to 391sf for most of the SAs). Most of the non-handicapable SYs are 294sf.

And SYs are more midship than the aft SCs ... making them more convenient on a day to day basis.

No doubt the suite perks are something you will probably miss, but the cabin size itself may not be too very different ...

Whre do you find information on the size of the cabins?

The corner suites on the Noordam and the other Vista ships do not have any appreciable noise from the engines. However, when the ship is going into port or leaving port, you will hear some noise because of the thrusters. This is our preferred place - Deck 5 in a corner aft suite. You will LOVE watching the wake of the ship and the size of the balcony is lovely because you have both aft and side areas in which to sit, so you can have sun or shade as you wish.

My husband says that he feels like a king in an aft suite.

We are shade lovers because we are both fair and are looking forward to our cruise in aft suites on the Eurodam in December and the Noordam in February.

Roberta

Thanks for the info. The balcony is the reason I wanted the corener aft.The SC is a deluxe suite, right? I am so looking forward to this cruise. It'll be a big change from our previous cruises on carnival.

SC is definitely a Deluxe Suite, with Neptune Lounge privileges and all the other suite perks.

Enjoy!

Archived