Beijing restaurants

mare s.

The Beijing Restaurant scene is not too exciting. There are many foreign ethnic restaurants there that are good. You could always visit a big hotel - like Peninsula or China World. They are good - but not memorable.

The Peking Duck restaurant is quite famous. Everyone should visit it once.

My favorite restaurant is in the Northeast section of Beijing, but is very difficult to visit.

The China Club is a private membership club located in a restored imperial palace. Their Chinese Restaurant there is not only wonderful, but dining there is like being in a Jet Li movie.

Unfortunately you need to be a member or guest of a member to dine there.

You can Google it to get the details.

Thanks, our tour does include the Peking duck restaurant. Just looking for a nice local restaurant (doesn't have to be fancy) with good food at a decent price within walking distance of the hotel. I know there's a big shopping area not too far away. Anything there?

Been reading the recommendations for Hong Kong and Shanghai. How about Beijing? We'll have one free afternoon and evening there. We'll be at the Beijing Hotel and would love to be able to walk to a restaurant. Suggestions?

The food in the hotel itself is VERY good. Breakfast buffet simply spectacular and more items than you can possibly sample.

In the back of the hotel is the Outback Steakhouse. I eat so much banquet food at business meetings when I am in China that I just want a good old American steak (actually, in Beijing it is from Australia).

"If you have a meat dish, you might avoid asking which sort of animal it came from".

EXACTLY the reason I don't eat street food in China, Vietnam or Cambodia or go into "street" type restaurants without CAREFUL guidance from a local I trust highly (and not a guide on a tour-they often get commission from the restaurants).

If I am thinking of the right place-The Courtyard Houses in the Dongcheng District hutong was not too far from the Beijing Hotel (where I almost always stay). I walked with a business associate from the hotel and no "mystery meat". I am not big on Chinese food, so I can tell you it was OK. Have very little to compare to.

The Beijing hotel is on the corner of the main street.walk past the dept stores for about 800 yds then cross the road there are small like malls here you will find dinner type restaraunts very cheap and basic menus with pictures of the food if this is what you are looking for its great,

The Beijing hotel is on the corner of the main street.walk past the dept stores for about 800 yds then cross the road there are small like malls here you will find dinner type restaraunts very cheap and basic menus with pictures of the food if this is what you are looking for its great,

A lot of "mystery meat" in those type restaurants.

Visiting Beijing, you might notice that you will never see any pigeons or crows flying around.

You will never see any rats running around either.

Strange for a city of 14 million people.

The few dogs you see on leashes are looking awfully plump.......

Dog meat is back on the menu now that the Olympics are over.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Philip is a Scare monger and the way he posts is a Cruise member.

The Brits eat Pigeons,French horse.Arab countrys Camel,India Monkeys.

Aussies. Shark and roo tales great soup. also have you noticed there is no sea gulls in Asia ? enjoy your holidays. China, Beijing is a great place to be. forget all the rumours. Grumphy

as they say...when in rome....do as the romans!

Exactly, if I want to have a great steak, I'll just stay home and watch the Travel Chanel. For us, the best part of traveling the world is sampling local culture, customs and food. Using common sense goes a long way in staying healthy and avoiding the trouble spots.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I found a great restaurant about a block from the New Otani Hotel -- don't have the name, but if you go out the front door of the New Otani, turn right and walk down to the first traffic signal, then turn right down that side street, then turn right towards a large office building -- the restaurant is that building, two levels ---- the menu was very extensive and the meal was very inexpensive -- authentic Chinese food with 99% locals as customers. We had dinner there twice during our visit to Beijing. Gene

Archived