Cruising Grand on the Amsterdam Asia/Pacific

arzz

Ship’s time 9:40 pm Monday, September 22

Chicago time: 2:40 am Tuesday, September 23

Miles from Seattle: 1506 nautical miles

Miles to Hakodate, Japan: 2459.9 nautical miles

Sea state is slight, winds about 12 knots

Sea and air temperature around 50 degrees

Today was another 25 hour day. We continue to enjoy our time at sea. In many ways we consider missing the last few weeks of mud slinging in the Presidential race a desired benefit of travel though we have not abdicated our right to vote. We have arranged to file absentee ballots at the appropriate time. What is difficult, however, is to be sailing while “Rome burns” . (That is, during the current domestic economic crisis). I find myself identifying with those in the movie aboard the “Ship of Fools” who spent their time at sea focusing on their food and comforts while Hitler marched across Europe. Well, we feel guilty for at least a few moments a day, then we get over it.

This morning we had some brisk winds which added a special challenge to our morning walk but the winds have slowed considerably and we continue to cruise quiet seas.

Our morning walk was followed by today’s game of what I have come to call “killer trivia” -- we have daily trivia games just like on the smaller cruises but participating in the games on board a grand cruise as opposed to participation aboard a shorter cruise is like the difference between participating in a sand lot baseball game and the international olympics. The trivia games on board are lots of fun but the competition is definitely stepped up a few notches. In fact, it is possible that those who win often might just have to watch their backs when walking down quiet corridors, but you did not hear this from me. :)

From trivia it was a quick lido lunch and then on to a navigational talk given by the third officer on board. He acquainted us with the ship’s Tranas Monitor -- how to read it and what it means -- there is such a monitor on continual display in the Crow’s Nest. It displays the ship’s intended course, the depth of the waters, the ship’s location and its current course and heading, among other things. We are currently following a grand circle route, but actually traveling a bit north of the intended course. Since our seas are smooth we have been cruising at about 21 knots and we finally seem to be making some headway in the huge number of miles between us and Japan.

The rest of our day has just been filled with all that other cruise stuff.

To Ichiban Nekko -- we, too, are sorry that you two are not with us this cruise -- we did have a wonderful time sharing our Alaskan dinners with you. Your greetings have been shared with Gede.

To LaffNVegas your thoughts have been passed along to Valerie.

Hello Shipmates and Friends of Shipmates,

It appears the Amsterdam is going to experience some rougher sea and weather after a fairly smooth beginning. The ship is crossing the International Date Line, too, so they are skipping Wednesday, 24 September and going right on to Thursday, 25 September.

The ship is heading into a typical North Pacific Fall/Early Winter storm area and should have rougher seas (around 12 feet), chilly air (50-ish) and strong winds for the next day or two. After that, towards the weekend, things should get much nicer: calm seas and warming up....as the ship approaches the coast of Northern Japan.

Here's the latest NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Agency) weather map for the Northern Pacific Ocean. Note the LOW pressure area (shown by a large 'L') just south of the Aleutian Island chain. That's the storm area.....and that's where the Amsterdam is now. Just below the weather map is the latest position map for the Amsterdam.

After over 30 years of navigating and sailing aboard ships of all sizes all over the world, the Amsterdam is certainly one of the better ships at "sea-keeping" (the ship handles rough seas well without a lot of rolling from side to side).

ppba50.jpg.70f304bc23df63a3b0c1c6554bec416c.jpg

Click on the thumbnail image above for a much larger view

NOAA North Pacific Ocean 24 SEP 08 (25 SEP aboard the ship)

74371277_Amsterdamearly24-25SEP.jpg.5cdeffa9f5be382fec30dcdfb61301de.jpg

Click on the thumbnail image above for a much larger view

ms Amsterdam early 24 SEP 08 (25 SEP aboard the ship)

Four weeks from today I join the ship in Singapore! Am I excited? YOU BET!!! With all of the wonderful updates and photos coming from friends aboard ship, I feel like I'm almost onboard already....especially after having sailed this same cruise last year.

Looking forward to "arzz's" latest report from aboard the Amsterdam coming in soon.....she'll be able to confirm, of course, whether I'm all wet about the weather and seas or not! She's there....I'm not! :eek:

Best Regards,

Nick

Ship’s Time: 11:59 pm Tuesday, September 23

ooooppppps, wait a minute -- it is now 12:01 am Thursday, September 25

what the h--l happened to Wednesday, September 24?

Chicago Time: 5:59 am Wednesday, September 24

Miles from Seattle: 2030.1 nautical miles

Miles to Hakodate, Japan: 1936.2 nautical miles

On the morning of Sept 23, we were located to the south and west of Dutch Harbor in the Aleutian Islands.

Today started as just another 25 hour day. Then we passed that date line thing. I really cannot wrap my mind around it. I understand that since the earth is round that at some point on the map the date has to change ... but we have been changing our time one hour EARLIER each day since last Friday, so popular wisdom would imply that at midnight the day would convert to yesterday when actually it converts to tomorrow (or is it day after tomorrow?) ... oooohhh, my brain hurts! I had hoped that after doing the dateline thing on a ship, nice and slow, that I might understand it better but no such luck! I feel very much like “Bright” in the following limerick that I learned years ago in school -- I am sorry but I do not know the source.

There was a young lady named Bright

Whose speed was much faster than light

She left home one day,

In a relative way,

And returned on the previous night.

Well, whether I understand it or not, I can prove that I have done it as we all received certificates from Captain van Zaane that say:

“It is hereby decreed that the day of

September 24, 2008

Be it known to all that I, Knight of the Hours and Monarch of the Magic Meridian, do grant passage to Holland America Line’s ms Amsterdam, which under special dispensation of Neptune, doth journey across our broad Pacific. Let the 180th chain of time be parted for her glorious advance and from “Arzz” our Chronological Majesty accepts the gratuity of the ms Amsterdam’s twenty four hours from your rich bounty, and rewards you with added joy and prosperity for all your other days.”

Now I get it, its just a bribe.

This morning, while experiencing force 9 winds, I verified that using free weights while at sea uses interesting, if not totally unpredictable sets of muscles. After my workout I proceeded down to the promenade to cool down (both literally and figuratively) and walk my daily mile. This pursuit was also altered by the weather -- head winds, tail winds, with unpredictably up and down hill segments and the sea spray left me, shall we say, well seasoned (over salted? well pickled? soaked in brine?) In actuality today’s seas were quite good and our ride has been very nice -- it is just rather windy. And to top it all off, since today was Tuesday and tomorrow is now day after tomorrow or Thursday instead of Wednesday -- it is now time to exercise again!

Late morning means it is time for Trivia -- it is always interesting to participate both in the official Trivia game as well as the unofficial pre-trivia event of table and chair hogging that start a bit earlier each day. Extrapolating to the future one could presume that by the time we are in Australia or the South Pacific it could be necessary to get to the Ocean Bar before sun up to avoid playing trivia from the passageway outside of the Ocean Bar. We might even find teams assigning a rotation for members to spend the night in the bar.

This afternoon there was a “round table” meeting for folks aboard this cruise who were also on the Prinsendam South America/Antarctica cruise in 2007. I had already recognized several on board who had been with us on that cruise but was quite surprised to see over 30 individuals show up (including cruise and shop staff) to share their stories of the “infamous wave”! I had no idea that our wonderful cruise was such a “keeper”.

We are still turning our clocks back one hour every day so tomorrow will just be another 25 hour day.

We are told to expect seas and wind by morning, whatever the h--ck day it is.

Ship’s Time: 11:59 pm Tuesday, September 23

ooooppppps, wait a minute -- it is now 12:01 am Thursday, September 25

what the h--l happened to Wednesday, September 24?

More to the point - did you lose a Mariner Day? :D:D

Great reading arzz, thanks for the posts.

Ship’s time: 3:10 pm, Thursday September 25

Chicago time: 10:10 pm, Wednesday, September 24

Miles from Seattle: nautical miles

Miles to Hakodata, Japan: nautical miles

Wind: 31.6 knots

Seas: slight -- rain

Ship’s Position: 50 degrees 08.04’ N and 175 degrees 46.12’ E

Today began as the first morning without rain. There were 7 knot winds and bright sunshine, temperatures in the mid 50’s. We had a delightful breakfast and a nice mile walk. As we prepared for today’s “killer trivia” the sky became overcast. Our seas remain slight but we now do have some winds and rain and this weather is pretty much going to continue through tomorrow.

One of the many perks of a Grand Cruise includes the ability to be invited up to the bridge for a tour. Basically all you have to do is know to ask. This privilege is not available on a normal cruise.

Being the ship fanatic that I am, as soon as I found out that we mere passengers could obtain access to the bridge I was down at the front desk signing up. At the appointed hour we were met by the ship’s third officer who led our group of ten down two floors to the navigation deck and then forward to the bridge.

What I saw, learned and did:

In the corridor outside the bridge are large, framed, detailed deck diagrams of each deck of the Amsterdam. Much more detailed than those provided to us by the cruise line.

I actually got to walk out on the starboard bridge wing just like the crew members and officers do when we come into and leave port. There is actually one section of the bridge wing about two square feet in area that is made of glass, like a downward skylight, that allows the ship’s crew to navigate downward as well as front, back and side to side. Standing on this glass section certainly provided an interesting view of the water as we steamed along towards Japan.

Many of us have seen the names of ships painted on the docks in the Caribbean. Apparently when a ship repeatedly comes into the same port (say once a week in season) they can use the downward “skylight” to help line themselves up with the name of their ship on the dock and know that they are docked in the proper place. I, for one, never realized that these painted names were anything more than graffiti.

We were shown the many ways that the ship can be controlled from various places on the bridge to both provide access to control from anywhere as well as redundancy of systems.

The front windows on the bridge have large window wipers to keep them clear in inclement weather, as well as heaters to defrost ice for the cold climates. There are also a couple of special circular sections of front window that can be set to spin in very wet weather -- the spinning action clears the water from the window for a continuous forward view. Standard wipers require a delay between swipes as the wiper blade moves from left to right which can cause small moments of poor visibility. This system is designed to create areas of window that will have no gaps in visibility. Apparently the weak point of this well designed system is that just seeing through a perfect window does not particularly help you see through the weather.

All important systems have multiple back ups. The ship has several electronic navigational systems -- and the ship still requires constant paper charting to record the ship’s course. If all else fails, the bridge has two sextons that can be used to navigate and all officers must know how to use a sexton.

The same redundancy exists in their radar systems. Except for some spots of weather outside (as today is a rainy day) there were no other ships visible on today’s radar (there had been one ship earlier in the day). I guess out here in the Pacific we are rather alone. I believe that the radar is adjusted to show four hours out but I am not sure that I heard that correctly.

There was a large display with a diagram of each of the ship’s decks with lighted displays to monitor the status of each fire alarm as well as the location and status of all fire doors.

And then there is the security system that includes video monitors of all outside decks as well as all points of entry to the ship. Remember, on board, big brother is always watching -- at least when you are on public decks.

Most of the ships steering (when controlled manually and not by computer) is done by large knobs or joysticks. This ship does, however, have one very small steering wheel.

Apparently there is a shortage of Dutch officers so that Holland America has begun to hire other nationalities as officers.

Some in our group asked about how much control a local pilot gets of the ship. The answer was that it varied with the perceived skills of the pilots as determined by the ship’s captain, as final responsibility for the ship and its complement does rest with the captain regardless of who is actually steering the ship. The one interesting exception to this is on the Panama Canal where the canal authority takes temporary ownership of the ships as they pass through the canal. Anything that happens to the ship then becomes the responsibility of the Panama Canal Authority.

Tonight, again, will be formal and I hope to do better this time than I did the other day. Since I have already filled quite a bit of space I will send this early today.

Tomorrow is expected to be just another 25 hour day at sea.

thanks for the bridge tout i myself have never been on one now i know and also thanks for the info about the windows and wipers very interesting and now i am becoming even more knowledgiable about ships and cruising thanks so much i enjoy it so much i feel like i am there also happy sailing

Thanks for your updates, my mother in law is on this trip as well and they dont update their blog as frequently as other people.

My question for you is what is the youngest age of passenger on this trip? We are contemplating doing a cruise like this when our kids are older we would like to do a trip like this with them. However if there would not be any other kids on the boat it wouldnt happen.

Corey

I am excited to find this link and follow along with you. One year from today I leave on my own grand voyage.......and this will let me know what to expect. My trip is also on the Amsterdam............. Thanks for letting me know all that goes on.....and what things are a little different on a Grand Voyage (like goodies on your pillow!!)

What a wonderful description of the bridge! Years ago, my husband and I were able to visit the bridge on the Noordam but then they stopped allowing those tours. I'm glad to know that I may once again have the priviledge. Enjoy your cruise.

Ship’s time: Friday, September 26: 5:45 pm

Chicago time: Friday, September 25, 1:45 am

Miles from Seattle: 2886.8 nautical miles

Miles to Hakodate: 1079.5 nautical miles

Weather: 54 degrees, Force 7 winds, Seas are 12-18 ft -- Sunny -- ship’s speed about 15 knots

Ship’s position: 48 degrees 30.24’ N, 163 degrees 43.83’ E

Last night we got to experience how well the Amsterdam rides when there are some seas and she definitely has an excellent ride. To those of us who rode out almost two days of 45 foot seas on the way to Antarctica, this is nothing. Nevertheless there will be no free weights today and even walking out on deck is done with some caution.

The sun is shining and the seas provide interesting afternoon entertainment to watch. This morning was all about “killer trivia”. We have learned that Steven Sondheim is the composer who has won the most Tony awards, that the cartoon character who surpassed Mickey Mouse in popularity in 1935 was Popeye, and the popular beverage that was originally formulated to contain lithium was 7-Up. How would we ever be well rounded human beings without this knowledge?

This afternoon is all about the little things -- like doing laundry (to have clean underwear for our time in Japan) and changing dollars into yen.

We continue to meet wonderful folks on board and we continue to relax and have fun. The Amsterdam is really beginning to be our home. We were successfully able to stash everything that we brought with us -- however, if the pillow gifts continue we could run out of space. Since I last reported we have received slippers, sweatshirts embroidered with the Amsterdam voyage logo as well as a large zippered, embroidered tote bag and a similar shoulder bag/back pack/purse. Each was filled with a folding umbrella, a bottle of water, a bottle of purell, a granola bar, a packet of toilet seat covers and a packet of tissues.

As I write this I am currently listening to a tape of Frank Buckingham, our excellent port lecturer, replay on TV -- we remember him from our Prinsendam/Antarctica trip and feel very privileged to have him on board. The history and background that he provides for each port as well as loads of practical suggestions are priceless. Today is Friday, and we will be in Japan on Monday. Though the sea ride has been lengthy it still, somehow, seems surreal that we can travel so far, so quickly, in such total comfort. I am not sure that I have really, yet, internalized that we will actually be in Japan!

Well, off to all those evening things like dinner, entertainment, movies, etc.

And tomorrow will be just another 25 hour day.

These days at sea sound like a great way to get acquainted with fellow passengers.

Wow! So many pillow gifts.....very fun. On MY world voyage I will be in the "bottom of the ship"! (Either that or don't go!) Anyway.....I wonder if EVERYONE receives these fun gifts on a world voyage. Do you know?

These days at sea sound like a great way to get acquainted with fellow passengers.

Wow! So many pillow gifts.....very fun. On MY world voyage I will be in the "bottom of the ship"! (Either that or don't go!) Anyway.....I wonder if EVERYONE receives these fun gifts on a world voyage. Do you know?

As I write this I am currently listening to a tape of Frank Buckingham, our excellent port lecturer, replay on TV -- we remember him from our Prinsendam/Antarctica trip and feel very privileged to have him on board.

Hello Arzz,

If you have the opportunity to ask Frank Buckingham if he will be on the Pronsendam again in February 2009 on its return to the Antarctic. Barbara and I will be on that segment of that Grand Cruise. Mr. Buckingham was also our port lecturer on the Amsterdam last year on our 64 day Asia/Australia/Polynesia cruiise.

Barbara and I so enjoy your writing .

Thanks for taking the time to share with us.:cool:

Jack

Pillow gifts are for all passengers on a Grand voyage.

Thanks for your updates, my mother in law is on this trip as well and they dont update their blog as frequently as other people.

My question for you is what is the youngest age of passenger on this trip? We are contemplating doing a cruise like this when our kids are older we would like to do a trip like this with them. However if there would not be any other kids on the boat it wouldnt happen.

Corey

I'm not on this time, but I did the same trip in 2002 and 2007. In 2002 we had only 1 teen on board. He was 13 or 14 and was home schooled.

ARZZ,

Thanks for posting we plan to take part of this cruise in the opposite direction from Osaka/Kobe to Vancouver/Seattle as a completion of visiting DW's family in Japan in 2010 or 2011 if it is still offered. Have a great time in port in Japan and let us know what excursion of areas you visit.

To Ichiban Nekko: Number 1 Cat?????

As I write this I am currently listening to a tape of Frank Buckingham, our excellent port lecturer, replay on TV -- we remember him from our Prinsendam/Antarctica trip and feel very privileged to have him on board. The history and background that he provides for each port as well as loads of practical suggestions are priceless.

Arzz - Thanks for the daily posts! I'm enjoying your journey (but sans pillow gifts unfortunately).

Yes indeed, Frank Buckingham is priceless. He was our Port Lecturer on the Prinsendam earlier this year & I can only hope that he will be aboard the Amsterdam when we cruise South America next year.

I'm looking forward to details of Jessica Simpson shoes Part II. :D:D

Ship’s Time: 10:07 pm Saturday, September 27

Chicago Time: 7:07 am Saturday, September 27

Distance from Seattle: 3394.6 nautical miles

Distance to Hakodate, Japan: 571.7 nautical miles

Ship’s position: 45 degrees 25.16’north, 152 degrees 09.30’ east

Ship’s speed 16 knots

As Scarlett O’Hara put it -- “Oh fiddle dee dee -- Tomorrow is another day.”

As our financial institutions fail, as the race for the Presidency really heats up, the seas are rough and the winds are at gale force ... what are we doing here on the Amsterdam? Why we are dressing for the Black and White Ball, of course. Oh, Fiddle dee dee.

The dining room entries as well as the elevator lobbies on both decks 4 and 5 have been draped in elegant black and white fabric as the ship prepares for this once in a cruise event. Well, that is, we sort of prepare -- today’s Daily Program states the following as dress code:

“Tonight’s dress code has been changed to “formal optional” due to the unstable weather conditions. Guests are welcome to dress in black and white themed formal attire if they wish, but high heeled shoes for women are discouraged.”

In actual fact we are experiencing some seas --things are a little rocky but not all that bad. After all it just adds excitement and interest into an otherwise fairly routine day at sea, except, of course, for the occasional speed bumps.

Since it is a formal night, our evening pillow chocolates should once again be Leonida’s Fresh Belgium Chocolate truffles. And will there be another pillow gift? Oh, fiddle dee dee ...

Today in trivia we learned that “nyctophobia” is fear of the dark, the Volga is the longest running river in Europe, there are 206 bones in the human body and the race horse that the AP called the greatest of the 20th century was Man o War.

The more days I cruise without ports (remember we left Seattle on Friday, September 19 and will not reach our first port in Japan until Monday, September 29) the more I am beginning to believe that ports may just be totally superfluous to the cruising experience. I mean, if we are in port, we will actually have get up at a decent hour, shower and leave the ship. Touring could involve some effort that we have to exert ourselves unlike on board where even our chairs are pulled out for us!

At lido lunch today in addition to the salad bar, the sandwich station, the pasta and oriental stations and the sushi selection they served a sort of “salmon wellington” (I forgot the exact name but it was salmon and vegetables wrapped in a crusty dough and served with dill sauce), steaks, swordfish, and all sorts of other goodies to say nothing of the dessert bar and the Holland America bread puddings now presented in both traditional vanilla and chocolate flavors.

As Scarlett said: “As God is my witness, I shall not be hungry again.”

Oh, fiddle dee dee, and tomorrow is NOT another 25 hour day.

In answer to questions:

I have seen no teens on board. In fact, I have not seen much of anyone under the age of 40 on board.

Everyone on board gets pillow gifts -- we are among those who live in HAL’s luxurious steerage on the Dolphin deck.

arzz,

I just love your writing. It's almost as good as chatting with you.:D As I read each posting, DH wonders at the sighs and giggles emanating from my computer area. What a shame that you had to put your usual stilettos aside, LOL.;) I really do wish we were there! (Note to self: check lotto ticket next!):rolleyes:

GarySuzy,

Hai, so desu! It was a play on my nickname (Cat) given in jest by friends in Tokyo about thirty years and more than thirty pounds ago, and it just sort of stuck. We would love to have the opportunity to go back to Asia, especially Japan, especially on a cruise. Sigh.:)

Archived