Shore Excursion Weight Limit Question

JJPNYC

Hi-

Was wondering if anyone can give some perpsective/insight on this question. I'm looking at a shore excursion but Celebrity says that it was a weight limit of X pounds per person on it. Now I'm a few pounds over X pounds (only single digits over the weight limit) and thinking that by the time the cruise rolls around, I will be right at the weight limit.

Does anybody know how strictly the weight limit is enforced on excursions? I'm debating on whether to purchase the excursion and work towards loosing those last few pounds before the excursion happens but then just thinking the "What ifs" if those last few pounds are still there.

Any insights would be appreciated.

jeff

Usually the weight limits are for Helicopter and small plane tours.It has to do with balancing out the weight for safety reasons.If you are over the weight limit I think they make you pay for an extra half seat.This was for tours in Alaska.

Horses and Helicopters...

I was on a horseback tour once and it was "honor system" and "eyeballing"...

I weigh 210-215, so not really an issue...but, they looked at me and put me on one of the bigger, stronger horses...

My guess is that had I weighed close to their limit (230? 240?) , maybe a little over, it would still not have been an issue...If someone had weighed 300 and you could look at them and think they obviously didn't meet the criteria, they would have been turned away...they were not going to endanger their horses...

I was on a helicopter tour in Alaska and they actually weighed everyone in...They had a scale set up in the tour offices at the airport and they were extremely careful...The chopper seated six plus the pilot...they put my daughters in the two front seats and the four larger grown adults in the back for weight distribution...

Face it, if the helicopter is designed to safely only carry, say 1200 pounds and you look at the pilot and figure he weighs 220 and you know you weigh 215 and your spouse weighs 135 and then there are three other guys who weigh about 170 each...do the math...that's 1080...well, you want to look at that last passenger they load in and hope it's a child or diminutive young lady...Last thing you want is to see a 300 pounder hopping in...

Yeah, they weighed everyone...and I'm glad they did...

What this is for is for a kayaking shore excursion. So I obviously understand the reasoning behind it as the laws of buoyancy come in to play and different kayaks are made to hold different weight levels, but just didn't know how strictly it is enforced and would hate to be turned away at the pier.

Thanks for the responses thus far.

I know you are talking on the large size but it also is on the small size as well. Friends wants a tour but the restriction was under 80 no go. (Snuba). It is for safty reasons. Lose the weight first then book on board and be careful until you go.

I'm fairly sure that Celebrity allows you to book excursions and cancel up to something like 24 hours in advance without penalty so if you want to ensure availability, you could safely book now and cancel if you needed to. They bill your credit card right away but refund it if you cancel.

And even if it was in America, the point about the disabilities act is nonsense. The law can't make an overloaded boat float or make a horse carry more than its capacity. There are plenty of amusement park rides and such here with weight limits or height limits for safety.

If you're right on the edge of the weight limit, I hope the excursion is one of the first ports! The food on board ship is so good and so plentiful, it might make you gain a couple of pounds before the excursion. If it is during the last part of your cruise, you may have a problem. I would hate for you to feel like you have to diet while on the cruise. Your vacation is for enjoyment, not dieting!:D

Garry

Hello All

Just browsing the threads before our Summit cruise next week, and came across your thread.

As JJPNYC has stated he is concerned re a Kayak tour, I thought I would add my experience......

My wife and I were cruising with RCCL (Explorer) in 2002 and booked on a Kayaking Tour thru a rainforest with half-way beach stop for lunch.

There was no weight limit stated for the tour. The tour also stated that it was a leisurely tour.

From previous cruises, we have seen Kayak Tours range from 1 person to 6 person boats.

I was 260lbs and my wife 140lbs at the time of our tour.

We arrived at the location and were each given a bouyancy vest, then led to our 2 person kayak - me at the back, my wife in front.

As soon as we were pushed out into the river, I noticed that the kayak was lying very low in the water at the back - the rim being only 4 inches or so above the water line.

As I can't swim, I immediately raised my concern about the water level with one of the guides - and was told all was OK.

The group then set off down the river.

We very soon fell behind the rest of the group and were left on our own with a guide who stayed with us.

The kayak was getting lower and lower in the water.

When the water was very close to the rim of the kayak I told the guide this couldn't possibly be "normal".

He finally agreed and suggested we find somewhere on the side of the river to land the kayaks.

I was getting quite upset at the thought of sinking in the muddy swamp water (especially not knowing what was in it) and asked the guide to use his walkie-talkie to summon help.

You can imagine how I felt when he then told me the walkie-talkies didn't work !!

So, we finally found the roots from a tree sticking out of the water and my wife managed to climb out of the kayak and stand with the roots bearing half her weight and he one leg plunged into the muddy riverbank.

I was by this time waste deep in water and having all sorts of things going thru my mind.

The guide suggested that he and I change kayaks, so that I had the added bouyancy of a single person kayak for myself. This we managed to do with a lot a very slow, careful movement.

My wife then managed to climb back onto the 2-person kayak with the guide.

Then - one of the other guides came back up the river toward us - our guide reassuring us that they had obviously been worried about us and had come back to help.

In reality, our guide had the water supply in his kayak and the other guide had just come back to collect it - they were not even aware of a problem.

We then slowly made our way back to the starting point and had to sit in wet, muddy clothes until the group returned - I was furious.

We had to complain to the Excurions Manager several times across two days before we even managed to get the tour refunded.

My wife came out in huge blisters where she had been bitten after standing in the mud and on the tree.

She managed to get free medical treatment, but had to spend the remainder of the cruise with the unsightly marks all over her body and face.

Despite sending a written complaint to RCCL (questioning the suitability of the kayak for the weight involved, the broken radios, the lack of emergency planning, etc) we got a very brief letter acknowledging receipt and then nothing.

SO - To Finish........

I would be very wary of booking any type of excursion where weight could even be a very slight issue.

I would rather miss an excursion than have to go thru that again.

Hope the above helps.

• 6 months later...

Thanks so much for writing about your experience. I have been pondering this same question. I wondered whether the weight limit applied to a one or two person kayak. If two we are a little over like you were.

I just think this is a very good reason to hit the gym (and diet). :)

( Don't get upset, I am in this process myself and 136 lbs feels so much nicer than 160 lbs 4 month ago:D. I wish they would create special requirements for me so I had to work even harder!;) )

What this is for is for a kayaking shore excursion.

Thanks for the responses thus far.

First, I feel bad for Couple UK.

The weight will have to do with the buoyancy, but another consideration is fit. Depending on where the weight is carried (hips/stomach) or shoulders/muscle the fit within the kayak may be tight and uncomfortable.

I suggest emailing the company offering the excursion (if Celebrity, perhaps they can tell you the contact for the company they work with - or others online may know).

good luck - absolutely loved our kayaking in AK last summer (Ketchikan - non-Celebrity experience).

email if you have other questions - I don't read the boards a lot.

Nancy

Lckypnny at a o l d o t c o m

obesity is a handicap, and they can't tell you no based on it. It's all about the Americans with disabilities act.

While you may be right, safety limitations are enforceable. Also limits on animals are also enforceable. Diability limitations are subject to reasonable accomodation even in the US. So that if you above the limits established for safety reasons, the company can tell you you can't go. Also on airplanes you may be required to buy two seats to accommodate you as well. I am unaware of any case that says obesity by itself is a disability...

To add a humorous note to this thread. A friend and I were on an Alaska cruise and were going on an excursion that included a sea plane. As we boarded the bus, the guide asked each person what he/she weighed. My friend was in front of me and gave her weight - minus 10 pounds (and that was what she weighed before the cruise). So, I decided that I would have to take the hit for team. Now, on a good day I need to lose 30 pounds so imagine my dismay at revealing my weight (my real weight - not what it says on my drivers license) plus 15 pounds - her 10 plus an allowance for the cruise extra. To this day I insist that the only reason the plane took off and landed safely was because of my bravery!

This definitely brings back memories of my Alaska helicopter tour several years ago. At the time I weighed 85 lbs (really !!) and got bumped from the helicopter due to my weight !!! I had to wait another two hours but did get to sit next (& very close) to the pilot. It was awesome and well worth the wait !!! I am still slim but more than 85 !!

After reading Coastal's website I guess we are not going to join our friends on a helicopter tour. No way I am going to drop 25# by August 19th As much as I'd love to do the helicopter a $90 penalty being FAT is not going to fly. Guess I'll just have to do my Shamu imitation and do the whale watch

Archived