Tipping Tour Drivers/Guides in Europe

I agree with cruisinisforme. We really seem to struggle with this question but we also figure about $10 USD or currency equivalent per person for a full day tour. If we're really pleased, we add more. Sometimes we also bring along a token gift that they might enjoy...a baseball cap, T-shirt, whatever from the U.S. Sometimes it works and sometimes they could care less. It depends on where we are visiting.

Just curious, those of you that have been to Europe how much should you tip the guide/driver for a tour either private or ship sponsored tour in Euro's.

Thanks so much

Marcy

Folks,

It seems that there would be a difference between a private car or van of 2-8 passengers (driver not the owner), driver as the company owner, and a ship's tour of 40-50 passengers! Do you think a tour guide of 50 should get a "tip" of $250/day? Seems plenty excessive to me. (What do others think?)

David

For lots of things in Europe service is included, and tips are not expected - but are appreciated for extraordinary service! However bus drivers and guides do not come into this category and should be tipped.

We give a Euro to the driver unless he has been a really bad one! The guide gets around €5 pp. They are usually not well paid and rely on this income. I am talking about large busses. A van with driver and guide who stays with you all day and eats lunch etc with you is different. There I would give the driver €5, and the guide €10 but never more than €25 no matter how many people were involved. And, by the way, I am a European and live in Switzerland!

Archived