Zuiderdam Question

naxos

I think I posted in the wrong spot- please forgive me. Sailing on the December 23- first time on the ship. We have booked in inside cabin and I am wondering if anyone knows if there is the "secret" quiet outdoor spot where one can read without pool noise. I have always been fortunate and able to find such a spot on other ships- usually thanks to the folks on this board. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you

Naxos

Naxos,

Up on the top deck (10, I believe) there are lots of quiet places. If you go out by the Crow's Nest lounge, you'll see chairs. There is a covered area with "club" type chairs and then the open area with the lounge chairs.

Wish I were there now.

Have a great cruise.

Many people love sitting on Promenade Deck, watching the ocean and reading their books. (When we do our walking, we find many more are asleep than actually reading :) and we think it fabulous they were so comfortable/content they nodded off.)

I'm glad to hear that I wasn't the only one "napping." I swear, every time I sat down on that ship I was asleep! Each chair I sat on (not the dining room ones, of course) was so comfy! I even slept in the Queens Lounge on one of the uncomfortable chairs during a movie. I think that was only because I was bored by the flick (and it was freezing in the room).

Since we found Zuidy we also nap far too much... but how can you not nap? The ship has a gentle motion and the bedding is so comfortable... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'm glad to hear that I wasn't the only one "napping." I swear, every time I sat down on that ship I was asleep! Each chair I sat on (not the dining room ones, of course) was so comfy! I even slept in the Queens Lounge on one of the uncomfortable chairs during a movie. I think that was only because I was bored by the flick (and it was freezing in the room).

I would agree with the poster who reccomended the area just outside the Crows Nest. They has some wonderfull chairs in that area which look really comfy for an outside area. Plenty of shade or lounge chairs out in the sun if that is your thing.

If that area is too crowded, there is an observation deck above the Crows Nest that I never saw anyone go up to (neither did we.) On other HAL ships, there were lounge chairs up there, but I can not vouch for the Big "Z" as we did not venture up there. Only drawback would be that there no shade up there.

I like that area just outside the Crow's Nest too. Those chairs are quite comfortable, and there's just enough shade to make it better. It seems to be quiet on that end of the ship. There always were available lounges in the sun in that area too. Up on top the Crow's Nest on the Observation Deck is good too, but it's bright up there (need dark shades to read). There is a tinted wind screen all the way around that area, and there are lounge chairs up there. In the week we were on the Big Z, there was a minimal number of people up there sunning. It's almost total isolation up there. I can't read on the Promenade Deck. I've tried a few times, but I don't get through a page before I'm out like a light.

Ken

Just home from Zui ... agree with above. Just outside Crows Nest (10) has upright cushioned chairs in soft shade - further out there are the "famous" teak loungers. On the same level, towards the aft pool there are the other loungers. On one side the pipe music, on the other it is pretty quiet.

On the Promenade there are teak loungers on both sides. There is someone running/walking at all times ... but that is pretty much the only distraction down there ... also guilty of a few naps between chapters :rolleyes:

Inside there are also many lounges & the library that are quiet and beautiful and comfy.

enjoy - she's a great ship

Thanks ualtim I am now ready to find my comfy spot- can you see the water from this space outside the Crows Nest?

Yes you can. Some of the seats are closer to the rail than others, but you can see the seas. The lounge chairs are set up facing the rail, while the shaded area with the comfy chairs is in more of a lounge/library set up and the chairs face different directions. You can pull one of the lounge chairs right up next to the rail, but you may get a bit more wind if the ship is moving.

Archived