Shopping near Long Beach???

Cher7

We will be staying at the Best Western of Long Beach the night before our Hawaii return cruise at the end of October. I am wondering if there is anyone out there who could tell me if there are any shopping centers that are not that far away and would not cost an arm or leg to get to via cab. I would be looking for something that might have Nordstroms or the like as anchors.

I appreciate and thank anyone who might help me. :)

If you want Nordstrom's, Cerritos mall comes to mind (I think officially it's called the Los Cerritos Center). It's your best bet as it's prolly the best nearby mall. I'm not sure where the Best Western of Long Beach is, but part of Long Beach borders the city of Cerritos. The dock isn't close to that part of Long Beach though.

One option in Long Beach is

Pine Avenue - On the block north of 3rd Street, City Place shopping center is anchored by Wal-Mart and includes, Nordstrom Rack and Ross discount stores. It’s worth venturing north of 3rd to eat at George’s Greek Deli on Pine. Nordie's Rack is one of my favorite discount shopping store. then next nearest mall is

Lakewood Center Mall‎ - more info »

500 Lakewood Center Mall, Lakewood, CA which has a Macy's and a lot of other stores, but t is not all that close.

Since you're cruising out of San Pedro and not Long Beach (which is just Carnival), maybe you might want to check out the Shoreline Village, which is more quaint stores...it's by the Queen Mary and the Carnival berth.

What I would suggest is checking out the websites for the stores you're interested in (like Nordy's) and seeing what's near Long Beach. The caveat is that there are areas of Long Beach that are very industrial or not all that safe. And some surrounding communities such as Carson and Compton are areas to stay out of. Another suggestion is asking the congirge (can't spell today) at your hotel for ideas.

If you're gonna trek out to Lakewood mall, Cerritos is right next to it and the mall is so much nicer IMO. I only go to Lakewood if I'm eating at one of the nearby chain restaurants and need to kill some time. Or, hit up one of the electronics store if the Cerritos location is out of stock.

One option in Long Beach is

Pine Avenue - On the block north of 3rd Street, City Place shopping center is anchored by Wal-Mart and includes, Nordstrom Rack and Ross discount stores. It’s worth venturing north of 3rd to eat at George’s Greek Deli on Pine. Nordie's Rack is one of my favorite discount shopping store. then next nearest mall is

Lakewood Center Mall‎ - more info »

500 Lakewood Center Mall, Lakewood, CA which has a Macy's and a lot of other stores, but t is not all that close.

We got some great bargains here (well compared to Aussie prices) back in 2004 pre-cruise. We stayed at The Coast Long Beach Hotel and as I remember, was able to catch a free bus that runs in the area down to the shops - it was not a specific hotel shuttle bus. It was also an inexpensive taxi ride to the Princess Pier from the hotel. It was a lovely hotel in a beautiful location and well priced for our family of four..

Just so you understand, in Southern California, Long Beach is the second largest city after Los Angeles proper. There are a couple if not more Best Westerns there. If you have an address of the motel I might be able to give you a heads up. What type of shopping are you looking for, Wal-Mart, Sears, Macy’s or a mall?

To give you an idea, I live about 14miles from the port in Long Beach. My place is less than ½ mile from the North East corner of Long Beach.

I fly to Long Beach for the day a couple times a year to see my foot surgeon. I usually kill time before my return flight by going either up to Cerritos mall (which is near a restaurant I like) or down the 405 to South Coast Plaza. Both have a Nordstrom, but SCP is a much more upscale mall and much bigger. It has many exclusive stores. I always have a rental car. A car for the day would cost less than taking a taxi to/from either place, though I don't know the location of the BW where you are staying. Shoreline Village is okay for small touristy shops, but it doesn't have big department stores like malls do. Lakewood Mall, to me anyway, is very run-down, and the stores aren't the best ones in the chains.

Having lived in Southern Cal for 15+ years and commuting from Diamond Bar to Lakewood and also from DB to El Segundo everyday, one thing you need to be aware of is Southern California traffic. No two days are alike, if you hit rain, plan extra time to your travel. In days of rain my drive from DB to El Segundo could take 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

I would recommend you look at getting a rental car as this will provide you the flexibility to do some sightseeing. There are plenty of nice shopping areas as mentioned and you may wish to visit some of the beach cities as Manhattan Beach or Newport Beach.

Enjoy....

Archived