It wsa bound to happen - chair hogs

Deaf Dude

i have an honest question about chair hogging....in the morning i usually go out, grab a chair for myself, and start reading, i usually try and get a quiet area and get the chair next to me for my boyfriend who strolls out not long after me. by the time he comes out weare still the only 2 in the area...during the day when we go for a swim or eat we leave our towels, books, sunglass cases and non important things on our chairs....is that a no-no? i never thought of that as hogging since we have every intention of going back to them...but now im concerned? i dont want to be one of those people in the wrong!!

I am afraid now to do the same. Even though this will be our 1st cruise, this is what I usually do at a resort. Last thing I need is to get into a verbal argument with someone over chairs on our vacation.

Sorry but if I want a chair and they are taken for more than 30 minutes I will remove the items and sit down. After all its my vaction too and I would like to enjoy the sun while I can. And besides I don't want to CHILL OUT I wan to sit in the sun!!!!:p

I am afraid now to do the same. Even though this will be our 1st cruise, this is what I usually do at a resort. Last thing I need is to get into a verbal argument with someone over chairs on our vacation.

imho... you wont have a problem... Enjoy your first cruise. However if there is a particular spot you want to be in the sunshine then get up early. This is what I do and you may all call me a hog or whatever but ive never had a problem.

I do not like to lay right next to the pool, you just cant relax there especially if you have non-supervised kids running and splashing. I like to lay one deck up above Lido and looking over the lido and on an end so i can push the chairs over a bit without blocking the walkway. I put my towel and my bag down at about 8am and then go and get some breakfast with hubby. Im back in 15 or less and I lay there all day. I would take the stairs to go to the pool .. soak for 10 min and come back to my chair.. Sun up to sun down. There was also a stand up shower not too far from my chair maybe 40ft.. and i would stroll down there get wet and come back..

If you dont want to be anywhere near the water, shower or action,, there is usually always deck chairs open up even higher in the sunny secluded spots..

HAve a great vacation

Now if you like to lay by the pool, I would get up even earlier.

imho... you wont have a problem... Enjoy your first cruise. However if there is a particular spot you want to be in the sunshine then get up early. This is what I do and you may all call me a hog or whatever but ive never had a problem.

I do not like to lay right next to the pool, you just cant relax there especially if you have non-supervised kids running and splashing. I like to lay one deck up above Lido and looking over the lido and on an end so i can push the chairs over a bit without blocking the walkway. I put my towel and my bag down at about 8am and then go and get some breakfast with hubby. Im back in 15 or less and I lay there all day. I would take the stairs to go to the pool .. soak for 10 min and come back to my chair.. Sun up to sun down. There was also a stand up shower not too far from my chair maybe 40ft.. and i would stroll down there get wet and come back..

If you dont want to be anywhere near the water, shower or action,, there is usually always deck chairs open up even higher in the sunny secluded spots..

HAve a great vacation

Now if you like to lay by the pool, I would get up even earlier.

I personally don't see nothing wrong with this..I don't see it as chair hogging. You are using it even if you do go get breakfast, take a dip or maybe even take a little walk. :)

Sorry but if I want a chair and they are taken for more than 30 minutes I will remove the items and sit down. After all its my vaction too and I would like to enjoy the sun while I can. And besides I don't want to CHILL OUT I wan to sit in the sun!!!!:p

I'm sorry but it is my vacation too and I don't see nothing wrong with getting up taking a dip in the pool, walking for short while, going to the bar to get a shot of PATRON :D etc. LOL

I think it will be wrong if someone goes and takes my stuff off a chair. I beleive that is worse. I mean really do you go around like a parking meter attendant and record how long something has been left on a chair. I would like you to try doing that to us. My 6"2 240lb hubby will sit on you. LOL :p

eh, that's nothing, I'd invent an item that actually hooks and locks to the chair in the seat area and has a nice pointed spike to it. Be a piece of cake to make. Something like a bike lock and then the spike attached via a leather pad or something. I am SURE someone would purchase it.

You might try scoping out a XXX place, probably have something similar!

When I was a kid there was a favorite chair in the living room and five kids.

Our rule was that when you got up you lost the chair and when you came back there was the couch or the floor.

That said, on our last cruise DH and I were sitting out back.

Next to DH was a chair and at a glance it looked like a small person sleeping under a beach towel.

On closer look we were surprised to see an artificial leg partially covered by a towel.:eek:

Nobody even thought about touching that chair.

So, if a chair hog is really serious then perhaps some creativity is in order.

(Eventually the owner did come back.)

We didn't have a bit of problem the last few days of our cruise. There were only 400 of us left on the ship.:p

Honestly, we don't like being by the pool. We prefer aft deck. It is quiet there and usually not too many people.

On our first cruise, on NCL, I got up just to go to the restroom and someone wanted to grab my chair. THAT, to me, was rude. I would never have done that.

Our rule was that when you got up you lost the chair and when you came back there was the couch or the floor.

Next to DH was a chair and at a glance it looked like a small person sleeping under a beach towel.

On closer look we were surprised to see an artificial leg partially covered by a towel.:eek:

Did he arrive with one or two legs?????

Donna

I have two very strong feelings about this item......

1) I HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT! - People who use this in many cases are self centered, inconsiderate and full of themselves..... ;) (kidding, no flames please)

and #2)???

Why didnt I think of that idea????? I bet with the right marketing, that item would actually sell pretty well.

Catrin

Excellent post! :D

i have an honest question about chair hogging....in the morning i usually go out, grab a chair for myself, and start reading, i usually try and get a quiet area and get the chair next to me for my boyfriend who strolls out not long after me. by the time he comes out weare still the only 2 in the area...during the day when we go for a swim or eat we leave our towels, books, sunglass cases and non important things on our chairs....is that a no-no? i never thought of that as hogging since we have every intention of going back to them...but now im concerned? i dont want to be one of those people in the wrong!!

I'm with the others - half an hour is acceptable. It's enough time to eat, go to the bathroom, have a dip, etc. I don't consider that rude.

I basically decide which day will be a 'pool' day, and as long as I get one around the pool, I don't care where my lounge chair is for the rest of the week. I get up early anyways, and DH knows to find me with the walkie talkie when he gets up much later than me, lol. I try and get chairs side by side, but if I can't or if someone needs it, one of us will scope out a location where we can get chairs side by side, and then radio the other person to come. We then take turns getting drinks, food, etc. for the rest of the day until we've either a) Had too much imbibing (:D) and need a siesta, or we get bored of sitting around the pool.

I'm in an aft cabin on my next cruise. I will be going to the aft pool since it's closer AND because normally there are plenty of shaded chairs available there. Let the chair hogs kill themselves over in the middle pool looking for a sun worshipping spot....

Ohmygoodness - that is hysterical!!! My kids just got one of these 'fake' arms (cut off at the elbow) as a hallowe'en decoration - they plan to put it on the lawn - crawling out of the ground next to one of those fake headstones - maybe I need to borrow that arm and just watch the fun? (I myself do not want to be near the pool at all and I am usually successful finding a chair on deck 10 aft - but I would have no qualms removing stuff if it has been there for a while with no on claiming the chair in question).

i guess i should say i usuallly sit up on the funnel deck with next to nobody near me-last cruise i was literally the only one up there for hours i dont mind walking down to the pool or to grab a quick something to eat...and the people still come and serve me my drinks .... i totally understand people moving stuff after a long time...my thing is how is someone to know im gone for 5 minutes or 45 minutes unless they stand at my chair and wait

The new signs on Carnival Liberty last week clearly gave a 40-minute 'window' for chairs to be unoccupied, and then things could/would be removed. I was amazed how many signs they had posted around the ship.

I like the 40 minute window, gives you a little extra time. Glad CCL gives specific parameters. I like RCCL use of the towel exchange area for these items to be turned it to, rather than throwing away peoples' belongings...that is rude.

I personally don't see nothing wrong with this..I don't see it as chair hogging. You are using it even if you do go get breakfast, take a dip or maybe even take a little walk. :)

No in reality you are not using it, especially if you are taking a little walk or going for breakfast. If you want to eat, do so but don't reserve a chair for the hour you are gone. Most people come and go from the pool areas so if you "loose" your chair give it another hour and your can get it back. Only a couple things irritate me on a cruise and people that are so rude and discourtious as to set their junk on a chair and go wandering around the ship for whatever reason is just that rude and discourtious. Using your "rule of thumb" going to play bingo for an hour, or going to the Art Auction for an hour or going to shoot a few hoops for an hour would be acceptible. Pretty much anything you want to do would be okay as long as you had "your" chair when you got back.

I normally dont have issues with finding open chairs. I must be in the minority:D But I do agree that saving chairs is a no-no:mad:

what do you think if people brought one of those "Ill be right back" with a hour and minute arm?? That stores use, then you'd know when they were going to return? Of course I would expect the return time to indicate something in the realm of 30 minutes though.

Lol then again knowing my luck if i used one id come back and see people using it as a Frisbee!! :eek:

Cute!! Wish I'd thought of it first. $$$$$$

No matter. If the user is gone more than 30 minutes' date=' the chair is mine.

Expensive lounge chair cover will be found nearby, folded neatly......but, my behind will be in the chair.[/quote']

Too funny!

Archived