RCCL 4X4 Safari or ATV Adventure?

DEL67

We did the ATV excursion through NCL and we had a blast! Loved every minute of it. We were supposed to go see a waterfall but that changed and we ended up at a beautiful beach and enjoyed some rum drinks out of a pineapple. We got to spend about 45 minutes there. You will see a lot of poverty, but the people are wonderful. The one thing I wish I had done was take some items to hand out to the children we passed on our way to the beach. They come running out of their houses waving and giving high fives as you pass. I have read on here another poster did the 4X4 tour a loved it also. But for us the ATV's were a blast! So much so that a month after we got back we bought two ATV's. Best present DH has ever bought me :D . Whatever you end up doing in Samana I hope you enjoy your time there.

We did the 4x4 tour and loved it. I agree with everything Jollycruise said about the island. We had an amazing time. We were tempted to do the ATV tour, but I was a little scared of driving one, so we opted for the jeeps. I believe both tours see and do many of the same things. Whichever one you choose, I am sure will have a great time. The people of Samana were just wonderful.

We are looking at the ATV and the one with the open bus. The ATV said there it required moderate exercise. How much? The bus said it was not for people with back problems. My husband had back surgery so that makes me a little nervous. Thanks!

The ATV was easy, no exercise needed. I rode with my husband. I held on with one arm and used our camcorder with the other one. We were supposed to go to a waterfall but did not. Maybe there is a small hike to the waterfall. That might be what they are considering moderate exercise. We did see the bus tour and the roads can be pretty bumpy and that might hurt someone with a back injury. But they were also taking their time driving.

Thanks for the info. Both sound fun!! We've signed up for the Segway tour in San Juan but that's all so far. We're not going until May '09 so have planty of time. Is is cheaper if 2 share one ATV?

Yes it is cheaper if you have one driver and one rider :D .

Also, when I booked this excursion ncl had put us down as driving our own atv. We noticed the goof on our tickets that were in our cabin. It was a simple fix. Went down to the excursion desk and got new tickets. One for driver and one for rider. This also happened to another cc poster. So if you do this excursion double check that your tickets are correct when they arrive in your cabin.

We were in Dom. Rep. (Samana) at the end of July and we took the ATV excursion. It was so much fun!!! We've been on 14 cruises and I think this was one of the best excursions we have ever done. The island is beautiful! This tour takes you through beautiful scenery and stops at a beach and a waterfall. One of our group as well as a couple others had their ATV 's break down . They were on top of it though and supplied him with a dune buggy until they could get his to work and back to him. You do go through very poor neighborhoods but the people are so sweet. The children wave and some even stand on the side on the road to give you five as you go by. I recommend this highly. You will get very dusty so be sure to take sunglasses. I didn't have any and my contacts got pretty dirty. Another thing to consider is long pants. It was so warm so shorts were preferred but the exhaust pipe on the ATV gets really hot and left a red spot on a lot of legs. No one had major complaints about that but just something to consider if you have sensitive skin. When we booked this excursion I thought it seemed really high priced but afterwards I was so happy we did it and forgot how much it was.

The ATV was easy, no exercise needed. I rode with my husband. I held on with one arm and used our camcorder with the other one. We were supposed to go to a waterfall but did not. Maybe there is a small hike to the waterfall. That might be what they are considering moderate exercise. We did see the bus tour and the roads can be pretty bumpy and that might hurt someone with a back injury. But they were also taking their time driving.

RCCL did not mention the option of 2 to an ATV. Also, I believe the 4X4 is a truck. Has anyone taken that?

RCCL did not mention the option of 2 to an ATV. Also, I believe the 4X4 is a truck. Has anyone taken that?

I would call RCCL just to double check. NCL had both one rider and two rider ATV's and their website did not show this either. Yes, the 4X4 is a jeep/truck. I was answering Grannymouse's question about the open bus tour.

• 1 month later...
Yes it is cheaper if you have one driver and one rider :D .

Also, when I booked this excursion ncl had put us down as driving our own atv. We noticed the goof on our tickets that were in our cabin. It was a simple fix. Went down to the excursion desk and got new tickets. One for driver and one for rider. This also happened to another cc poster. So if you do this excursion double check that your tickets are correct when they arrive in your cabin.

I just called NCL & they said they no longer have a "rider" price. I'm going to check on board, anyway.

Archived