Category H on an S-class ship?

Modern_Viking

So, where to begin...

Last year, on my 4th HAL cruise, I booked my 5th HAL cruise, this time on the Maasdam. This was the first time I ever booked with the on-board cruise consultant. The reservation was transferred to my home agent.

I'm trying to remember the night I booked this cruise, and I remember answering questions like "Do you want to book a guarantee?" (My answer was "No.") I asked for a specific cabin number, midship, in what should be a quiet location, and was booked for that cabin.

Anyway, to make a long story short, shortly after I paid the final payment, I am suddenly not booked in my original cabin, but instead booked in cabin 710, category H, on the A-Deck, located in the bow, near the infirmary, and equipped with portholes.

Now, I previously had (and paid the cost of) an inside. So getting some glass looking outside is an upgrade. But now I will be up in the bow and am worrying about (1) a rougher ride (2) noise from waves hitting the bow when underway and (3) waking up early in the morning to the sound of the bow thrusters.

Should I be worried about this cabin location on an S-class ship? Again it is category H, A-deck forward (but about 6 cabins back from the first passenger cabin).

I guess I should have been more careful booking on-board and should have been sure to state "free upgrades not needed or wanted." But then again, if the folks here think I will be better off with these new digs, perhaps this was good luck.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

We were in 712 on the Veendam and heard the sloshing of the waves, and anchors etc. We were in the West. Caribbean in Dec. and had a little roughness around Cuba but otherwise were not bothered by the seas. Luckily we are early risers and I love to be on deck for the entrance to ports. So I guess alot of it depends on the weather and your sleep habits. We have found that the partially obstructed rooms on the Promenade Deck are great. It is easy to get to the decks and either side of the ship to observe. You need to close the curtains at night but actually there wasn't much action on the decks at night.

... and I remember answering questions like "Do you want to book a guarantee?" (My answer was "No.") I asked for a specific cabin number, midship, in what should be a quiet location, and was booked for that cabin.

I guess I should have been more careful booking on-board and should have been sure to state "free upgrades not needed or wanted."

Another question that should have been asked is "Would you like to be considered for an upgrade?" or "Would you accept an upgrade?" Unless you answer "no" to that one, I believe the default answer is "yes".

I don't like inside rooms - but I think they gave you a poor outside.

Archived