Norwegian Pearl - Alaska

Coco421

Hi everyone,

We're thinking of doing the cruise to Alaska with my parents and our 2 kids who will be 13 and 10. We've only been on one other cruise (Disney) and we have a lot of questions about Alaska and this cruise.

What month is best to go to Alaska? (we've never been there)

What are some do not miss things to do/see on ship and off

What are some tips you have for us?

We plan to book 2 rooms with balconies next to each other. Are there any preferred rooms/locations anyone recommends?

Last but not least.... For someone like me who's never been on this cruise what is something you wish you had known but didn't when you went?

Sorry for all the questions.:o

Oh almost forgot to mention we're planning the Glacier Bay Itinerary.

I just booked for May 09 on the Pearl. Balcony BA. First time on NCl. Booked through NCL they have a upgrade soecial on now. Agent also tlod me a discounts for using American Express and if you are a Union member.

Take a good digital camera. A extra memory chip is a good idea.

to learn what to do in the different ports, check out the alaska boards:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

plus each of the ports have websites.

some people like to go in early may, the prices have been lower..BUT

too early in may and some of the excursions may not be available.

the season is may to sept...too early and it could still be snow in the way, too late (in the season) and you could get more rain.

figure out the excursions you want to take...

if bear watching is important...check out the vendors and see when the tour starts.

http://www.traveljuneau.com/

http://www.skagway.com/

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/

we did late sept, in '06, and have a great time...we but knew it could rain and was ready for it.

My suggestion is to get balconies on Deck 11, AFT, it is only one deck below the buffets, the buffets are very crowded on sea days and with that cabin location you can easliy walk up get your food and if no seating is available walk back down and eat in your room or on the balcony. My daugher and family had that location on our July cruise and were very pleased with it. We were on deck 10 forward and have decided from now on to cruise towards the back. This is just my opinion.

Just returned from the Pearl on Sunday from Alaska, Alaska was amazing and we picked this ship for the itinerary.

The Pearl was nice but we are not cruise people and could not wait to get off at each port to see Alaska

This was a last mintue idea so we knew the weather could be iffy.

Left Seattle in warm sunshine, arrivied in Juneau to overcast sky but by the time we got to our whale watching trip it was pouring rain but still saw lots of wildlife.

Skagway was our favorite stop, great weather, walked lots of trails, did the train ride, nice little local shops with local art, no rain the whole time

Glacier bay was amazing and the whole reason we took this trip and also no rain but overcast sky which made for great pictures

Ketchikan we did on our own, went to the visitors center and got a walking map and had agreat time but it started to rain about half way thru

Again, we are not cruise people but this ship went where we wanted to go, we had a balcony which we feel is a must for Alaska

We had room service every morning to wake us up to see the beauty from our view in our comfortable room

The ports our touristy, we went right to the visitors center or the National Park offices to get maps of trails, many easy trails to do for non pros and families with kids

I brought way too many clothes, the Pearl has several free laundry places that I used once to keep jeans and sweatshirts fresh

I am a controll freak so I did tons of research on this ship before we left, but I was still very surprised and upset by the amount of interest in jewelery shopping then the sight seeing of Alaska, call me stupid if you want but I thought a destiinaton crusie was for the destination and not the shopping!

Hi everyone,

We're thinking of doing the cruise to Alaska with my parents and our 2 kids who will be 13 and 10. We've only been on one other cruise (Disney) and we have a lot of questions about Alaska and this cruise.

We plan to book 2 rooms with balconies next to each other. Are there any preferred rooms/locations anyone recommends?

Last but not least.... For someone like me who's never been on this cruise what is something you wish you had known but didn't when you went?

I'm from the PNW, don't know about your other questions but I would personally go in August;)

if any of your parents are currently in the military..or former..book d the room s in their name..i figure you ll be able to save $400 per cabin..

also currently there is the Procrasinator promo..book the lowest priced

cabin and get a free upgrade within the category..

Just remember that June 21st is the longest day of the year so if you book say a month before or a month after you'll get plenty of daylight. Late in the season (like now) it's getting dark so early it really cuts into your day.

We did the train ride in Skagway in May. In town there was no snow but at the top of the mountain the snow was so deep. Just beautiful! That snow's all gone later in the summer. Sit on the left side going up.

Ditto the recommendation for an aft balcony. You'll love the views. Getting a cabin big enough for you and your kids might limit your choices though. Cabins 8634, 8134, 10168 and 10658 are aft cabins that allow 4 people. They don't have a connecting door though. If you upgrade to a mini suite, cabins 11156 and 11154 ajoin and have room for 4 people. These cabins won't come up as available cabins when you do a cruise search. You have to enter them in on the NCL website to see if they're available.

Take binoculars and watch the water. You'll see tons of whales, etc.

The union discounts are for any union in the AFL-CIO. Do a search for union discounts and you'll get tons of info.

Absolutely request a specific cabin. Best are ones with cabins above or below - or something quiet above like the library, etc. Spend a lot of time looking at the deck plans on the web site. Don't ever book right above or below a lounge or you will be entertained by their music long into the night.

Don't overpack - especially with so many people in your cabin. Wear the same thing a few times. No one will ever notice.

Hi everyone,

We've cruised on the Pearl to Alaska twice--this year and last. With the Glacier Bay itinerary, I recommend the Port side (although aft is nice too but they seem to be the first to get booked). Also, we prefer to go the end of May or the month of June.

Go to the Alaskan boards and just start reading and you'll find out all kinds of info on the ports and excursions. Take a trip to your local library and check out all the travel books for SE Alaska and start reading.

One tip I would have for you is not to try to keep the 6 family members together doing exactly the same things all the time. Plan excursions that may send you or your husband out to an active activity that the kids may enjoy and the other one stay with your parents and find something that interests them or have them go off on their own to do what they like. Then you meet up at dinner and other meal times to share your day's activities.

You sound a lot like us... we are booked on the Pearl next August and our kids will be 13 and 10, too. We've also been on the Disney Magic and the Carnival Miracle.

We were going to book 2 connecting balcony cabins, but we found the AB Penthouse suite was just a bit more - 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, living room and butler service!!!! So we decided to give that a try.

We booked several months ago for the August 9 departure and I've been searching excursions that the whole family will enjoy. Here are my rough plans:

Juneau - whale watching

Skagaway - White Pass Railroad and dog musher camp

Ketchikan - Bears/floatplane

Victoria - play it by ear... no plans

If you do decide to go, and happen to book the August 9 itinerary, come over and join our roll call.... not many there yet, but hopefully soon!

Our family did Alaska on the Pearl this summer. You have selected great excursions. You can rent a horse drawn buggy in Victoria (right at the end of the dock) and get a great narrated tour in an hour!

Great suggestion on the horse drawn buggy. I've searched and searched for something to do in Victoria (it is tough because we get there so late) and hadn't read anything about that before. Quick question - Can 4 people go together or would we need 2 buggies?

Great suggestion on the horse drawn buggy. I've searched and searched for something to do in Victoria (it is tough because we get there so late) and hadn't read anything about that before. Quick question - Can 4 people go together or would we need 2 buggies?

Four people can go in one buggy. Have fun

Thanks for all your responses.

anyone else have any comments, suggestions, tips, info they want to share?

You will love the Pearl. There will be lots of kids on board. The pools are heated so the kids were in the pool every day. Go to the Alaska boards for all sorts of ideas of different excursions you can do. Seattle is a great city to visit also. Consider staying there a day or two extra either before or after your cruise. Oh, and go to the roll call board, and see if anyone started a roll call. What most people forget is that So. Alaska is a rain forest. Yes expect rain.

go to Alaska forum. there are a lot of experienced cruisers there to answer Port specific questions.

We went in August and it was not cold at all. Bring your camera and waterproof binoculars. We took two pairs of 8x42 Zen-Ray VISTA and absolutely love them.

Do take the whale watching in Juneau. The people from Orca Enterprise are very knowledgeable and experienced. We have seen so many whales that we will never forget for the lifetime.

Archived