Caribbean Princess Riviera deck--noisy?

Nebr.cruiser

Are the cabins on the Riviera deck noisy because of the Lido deck being right above them? We have a chance to take R718, aft section of the ship, but I do worry about chair noises, etc. Or we can get similar cabins on Aloha deck, midship. Which would be better?

We have a balcony guarantee and have been offered either R718 or several cabins in the 500's on Aloha. They're all BC cabins.

Similar situation for myself; so for those that were aft on Riviera deck, any engine vibration/noise issues, and/or exagerated motion from the ship?

Specifically, I'm trying to decide between cabin R707 (and elevator/stair noise is one of my concerns) or A504. :)

Thanks for your replies. Can you get directly to the aft pool from Riviera deck, or do you have to go up to Lido and then down? I can't see any doors out from Riviera directly to the Terrace Pool.

I, too, wondered about engine noises and movement for the Riviera aft cabins. I know they are pretty high up.

There's a door at the end of the hallway on the Riviera deck that leads to the Terrace Pool. It has a window, and lets some light into the hallway, which is a nice, unique feature. The Terrace pool is never crowded, so there's not any issue with extra traffic in the hallway.

We did not notice any extra noise or movement from being in the aft.

Also, the elevators/stairs are in their own lobby, and there's a thick wall between this area and the hallways. You shouldn't have any problem with noise or traffic from the elevators. In fact, a cabin near the elevator lobby is prime real-estate because of the convenience.

I wouldn't hesitate to book any cabin in the 700's on the Riviera deck - in fact, I would go out of my way to grab one!

Thanks for the info! :)

Not sure I understand the wall/lobby aspect of the stairs/elevator in terms of seperation, but it does sound like noise shouldn't be an issue. I guess I'm still struggling them between A504 Aloha and R707 Riviera, since one is mid-ship near the central stairs/elevator, and one is aft by the stairs/elevator. Basically it comes down to the convenience of one floor below Lido (and the buffet) and the aft pool nearby and the convenience of the central elevator/stairs column.

The elevators/stairs are distinctly separate from the cabin passageways. They are in a walled off lobby area, and there are no issues with noise.

Something else to consider. There are some venues of the ship that can only be reached by using the aft set of elevators (Palm Dining Room and Skywalkers, for example). We had two cabins on this ship R729 and R401 (near the midship elevators), and we thought the R700's cabin was in a better, more convenient location.

Similar situation for myself; so for those that were aft on Riviera deck, any engine vibration/noise issues, and/or exagerated motion from the ship?

Specifically, I'm trying to decide between cabin R707 (and elevator/stair noise is one of my concerns) or A504. :)

I noticed a strange vibration noise when we were pulling out of Port Everglades as the thrusters were being used. It wasn't something you felt, rather just heard outside. You can hear it in the background of this clip I took.

I noticed a strange vibration noise when we were pulling out of Port Everglades as the thrusters were being used. It wasn't something you felt, rather just heard outside. You can hear it in the background of this clip I took.

Thanks for the video. Was that noise something you heard regularly, or was it just on embarkation?

DonnaK:

We will be on the Riviera Deck and would like to know the best way to get to the Anytime Dining restaurants (Island and Coral) from our room ?

Thanks in advance

Dave

The elevators/stairs are distinctly separate from the cabin passageways. They are in a walled off lobby area, and there are no issues with noise.

Something else to consider. There are some venues of the ship that can only be reached by using the aft set of elevators (Palm Dining Room and Skywalkers, for example). We had two cabins on this ship R729 and R401 (near the midship elevators), and we thought the R700's cabin was in a better, more convenient location.

DonnaK:

We will be on the Riviera Deck and would like to know the best way to get to the Anytime Dining restaurants (Island and Coral) from our room ?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Island is the Traditional Dining Room.

Palm is one of the Anytime rooms, and the only way to get to it is to use the aft bank of elevators/stairs. Coral is the other Anytime room, and the only way to get to it is to use the midship elevators/stairs.

You didn't say where on Riviera you cabin is, but the aft bank is approx between the 600s and the 700s and the midship bank is approx between the 400s and the 500s.

Donna:

Thanks for your feedback. I used the Princess website and on the deck plan for the Caribbean Princess they refer to the Palm and Island as the Anytime Dining and the Coral for the Traditional. We are in room R325 so if I understand you correctly we need to use the aft bank of elevators for the Palm and the midshift bank of elevators for the Coral. Can we access both these sets of elevators from the Riviera Deck ?

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/deck_plan_pdf/Caribbean_Princess_Deck_Plans.pdf

Island is the Traditional Dining Room.

Palm is one of the Anytime rooms, and the only way to get to it is to use the aft bank of elevators/stairs. Coral is the other Anytime room, and the only way to get to it is to use the midship elevators/stairs.

You didn't say where on Riviera you cabin is, but the aft bank is approx between the 600s and the 700s and the midship bank is approx between the 400s and the 500s.

After all these encouraging posts we are taking the R718 cabin offered. It sounds like a perfect location. I just hope it's not too close to the buffet! Thanks everybody.

I can't wait--wish November 30 was here!

You're going to love this location! Enjoy your cruise!

Donna:

Thanks for your feedback. I used the Princess website and on the deck plan for the Caribbean Princess they refer to the Palm and Island as the Anytime Dining and the Coral for the Traditional. We are in room R325 so if I understand you correctly we need to use the aft bank of elevators for the Palm and the midshift bank of elevators for the Coral. Can we access both these sets of elevators from the Riviera Deck ?

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/deck_plan_pdf/Caribbean_Princess_Deck_Plans.pdf

For sure, at least on our sailing, the Traditional dining room was the Island.

We were assigned anytime, and ate in the Palm every night, and the Coral was the only dining room open for breakfast and lunch.

Yes, you will have access to both sets of elevators on the Riviera deck, it'll just be a long walk down to the aft bank.

I too think you will like the room. On Diamond Princess a few years ago we were on the inside just two doors down from the door to the terrance. If I remember correctly it was just a few steps up to the terrace pool and then another few steps up to the bar and to the buffet! It was awsome for us. It was an Alaskan cruise in May so there wasn't a lot of people at the pool, but I think it's great that a warm weather cruise may be the same... not a lot of people there!

Are the cabins on the Riviera deck noisy because of the Lido deck being right above them? We have a chance to take R718, aft section of the ship, but I do worry about chair noises, etc. Or we can get similar cabins on Aloha deck, midship. Which would be better?

We have a balcony guarantee and have been offered either R718 or several cabins in the 500's on Aloha. They're all BC cabins.

I was curious how it is that you have a choice with balcony guarantee???

We just booked the balcony guarantee last Thursday and our TA emailed me yesterday that Princess was offering us an 'upgrade' to a BC balcony--room number R718. The email she forwarded from Princess said we had 48 hours to decline the room; if we did not decline it, it was automatically ours.

When I talked to our TA (who, by the way, is a good friend) she said we could also choose between several Aloha rooms, such as 502, 505, 515, etc.

So I don't really know the answer to your question; I, too, assumed that with a guarantee room they just assigned you a cabin at some point and that's what you got, without a choice. We've never done a guarantee before, but this worked out well for us, I think.

Maybe it was some kind of influence or help from our TA? We also got upgraded from a regular balcony to a mini-suite on the Carnival Spirit last year when we booked through her, so we're happy campers.

Sorry, I don't really know why we got a choice, or if that's normal or not.

DonnaK:

Thanks for answering our dining question. Sure nice to be prepared ahead of time. Hearing how other people were getting lost and never finding certain dining rooms had me worried.

Dave

For sure, at least on our sailing, the Traditional dining room was the Island.

We were assigned anytime, and ate in the Palm every night, and the Coral was the only dining room open for breakfast and lunch.

Yes, you will have access to both sets of elevators on the Riviera deck, it'll just be a long walk down to the aft bank.

Thanks for the video. Was that noise something you heard regularly, or was it just on embarkation?

I only heard it as we were pulling away from the pier in Port Everglades. It stopped as soon as they stopped using the side thrusters. I didn't hear it when we pulled away from the pier in St Thomas, which was on our side of the ship that time.

One more pic to share. This is the Terrace Pool. At the lower left is the door from the Riviera Deck (If you happen to be sailing the Grand, Golden, Star, Sapphire or Diamond, this would be the door from Aloha Deck). Up the stairs from the pool is the Outrigger bar, and Cafe Caribe is just inside the doors from there, with Horizon Court just forward of that.

Where the 2 gentlemen are standing, as well as on the opposite side of the pool, are approximately 6 bar stools and a wide table top along the railing, where you can grab some food and sit and eat. We usually grabbed breakfast from Cafe Caribe and sat at the Outrigger bar.

cruise364.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived