Cigars on Zaandam

NelleS

Jeez, I hope I don't start another smoking vs. non-smoking thread, but the search function is giving me too much information to wade through.

DH & I are considering an April 2010 circle Hawaii cruise on the Zaandam. He really enjoys his cigars, and would like to know if cigar smoking is allowed anywhere other than certain outside areas. Besides the cabins?

I realize HAL's policy may change in the next year and a half.

Thanks in advance,

Ellen

Cigar smoking is allowed on any outside deck.

Not allowed in any of the bars.

Allowed in cabin or verandah's

Some ships have "Cigars under the stars" about 10 pm on the back deck.

Hope this helps

Ruth & Jim

Smocking is not aloud in the cabin on board HAL vessels. It's only aloud outside and only at the railing special ashtrays are provided. HAL have to comply to the Dutch smocking law. It simply forbid smocking indoors in public buildings, bars, restaurants, hotels, shops etc. HAL have to comply with that law there vessels flaying the Dutch flag. I believe that smocking on veranda is also banned. "The information on HAL website is outdated"

But fore the save site contact HAL about the matter.

Greetings Ben.

Smocking is not aloud in the cabin on board HAL vessels. It's only aloud outside and only at the railing special ashtrays are provided. HAL have to comply to the Dutch smocking law. It simply forbid smocking indoors in public buildings, bars, restaurants, hotels, shops etc. HAL have to comply with that law there vessels flaying the Dutch flag. I believe that smocking on veranda is also banned. "The information on HAL website is outdated"

If what you wrote were true, we would cruise HAL again, but from what I was told by a reservation agent, HAL is only following Dutch law (and prohibiting all smoking) when they are in Dutch waters/ports.

This doesn't make sense, since there are many other places where smoking is prohibited, such as California, Washington, New York, etc.

Greetings Ben.

Ben - Where did you get this information from? This is not true. HAL does allow smoking in cabins and on verandas.

Greetings Ben.

Will they serve the Dutch *Hash* Brownies?

Will they sell joints in the gift shop?

Maybe they will build a ship with the interior mall and have the *working* girls in the windows?

I think not Ben.

Hugh in Dallas.

Jeez, I hope I don't start another smoking vs. non-smoking thread, but the search function is giving me too much information to wade through.

DH & I are considering an April 2010 circle Hawaii cruise on the Zaandam. He really enjoys his cigars, and would like to know if cigar smoking is allowed anywhere other than certain outside areas. Besides the cabins?

I realize HAL's policy may change in the next year and a half.

Thanks in advance,

Ellen

We attended the 'Cigars under the Stars' that was held each evening on the aft deck. We met several cigar smokers on board............

I just confirmed (with Ship Services) that HAL is indeed following the Dutch smoking ban, but only when in Dutch waters/ports. This includes ports in the Netherlands Antilles in the Caribbean, by the way.

Anyone who knows their way around a map can see that is a very minor inconvenience to smokers, and nothing really to improve things for non-smokers, since there are very few Dutch ports and not much Dutch water, either.

So, to paraphrase a Dutch friend of mine, "if it ain't Dutch, it ain't much."

I just confirmed (with Ship Services) that HAL is indeed following the Dutch smoking ban, but only when in Dutch waters/ports. This includes ports in the Netherlands Antilles in the Caribbean, by the way.

Anyone who knows their way around a map can see that is a very minor inconvenience to smokers, and nothing really to improve things for non-smokers, since there are very few Dutch ports and not much Dutch water, either.

So, to paraphrase a Dutch friend of mine, "if it ain't Dutch, it ain't much."

So what does the Dutch Smoking Ban include? And if it includes in cabins, how is HAL going to enforce that?

Jim, beg to differ on you fleet registry information. If you follow this link:

http://searchhal.hollandamerica.com/search?q=fleet+registry&site=default_collection&client=default_frontend&proxystylesheet=default_frontend&output=xml_no_dtd

from the HAL website you will see that ALL Holland America ships are registered in the Netherlands. If you cannot access the link go to HAL's website and enter fleet registry in the Search box. Click on "Fleet Fact Sheet."

Bob

You are right, I stand corrected.

When you look at the back of some of these ships the say Nassau, Bahamas, etc. Not all of them say Dutch ports or Netherlands. I think this is the port or country that they are flagged under. That is what I was referring to.

Jim

We just got off the Zaandam and yes, they allow cigar smoking. They actually had a Cigar Smokers Meet each night.

However, they did add a sheet to our questionnaire asking if we would still sail HAL if they did not allow smoking in the staterooms and also if they considered not allowing smoking on the entire ship.

P.S. glad to be home, but miss the Zaandam!

Most of HAL ships are not Dutch Flagged or Dutch registry and therefore are not required to follow Dutch law.

You comments are no where near correct that I will not take the time or energy to respond to all of them here.

Ruth & Jim

ALL Holland America Line ships are registered in the Netherlands and there homo port is Rotterdam. They where re flagged in 1996 accept the Veendam but she was re flagged to Dutch registry in 2006.

The confusion is that during building HAL vessels are registered in the Bahamas. Something to do with to many classification buro and government officials on board. Before a new vessel is delivered she is inspected from top to bottom by Dutch government inspectors. If the vessel complied to the high rules of the Dutch shipping laws. The ship is aloud in to the Dutch ship registry.

All non Dutch captains have a Dutch license other wise they cannot command a Dutch flagged vessel.

Link to Holland America line fleet sheet (PDF File) scroll to bottom you will see the Netherlands.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/news/FastFacts_FleetChart.pdf

My information on HAL ship registration is correct.

Greetings Ben.

Most of HAL ships are not Dutch Flagged or Dutch registry and therefore are not required to follow Dutch law.

You comments are no where near correct that I will not take the time or energy to respond to all of them here.

Ruth & Jim

While I, for one, will bow to your expertise in fuzzy slippers and the packing thereof, Jim, I have confirmed that Maasdam, who happens to state a home port of Rotterdam, is correct regarding the ships' registry, including the details about the Veendam.

As I mentioned earlier I was wrong about the ships registration. It is confusing when in the back of the ships the have cities that are written over other cities.

Jim

I agree it's a bit confusing with the registration pre and after delivery.

Greetings Ben.

Archived