Port to Cartagena Old City

Desert Cruisers

• 3 weeks later...

I am sorry, I do not know the exact distance, but I do know it was a considerable drive, about 10 or 15 minutes. It would be a good walk for anyone, but it is flat the whole way. Well worth the cab fare. We really enjoyed the walled portion of the city. Good luck.

It may very well have been 15 to 20 minutes, but if you insist on splitting hairs, I just might get out my stopwatch next time. :p The reality is that it could be dependant on time of day and day of week and the actual route taken.

The point made was that it would be a fair walk.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just back from Cartagena. Port is very modern. Just outside the highly secured area of the docks are a zillion taxi drivers and tour guides. Every one of them will try to get you to come with them. Some are very annoying, most stopped at "no, thanks". I heard from other cruisers that the rates for taxis and guides are very reasonable. Once outside the fenced off part of the docks there was another, less expensive group of taxi drivers and tour guides.

My wife and I wanted to walk to the old part of town, we went in convoy with a small group of strangers from our ship and another ship. As we neared the walled part of the city our group became smaller until it was just my wife and I, everyone found something different to look at first.

Finding the old walled city is easy, just start off by going to the left when you leave the fenced off part of the docks, then ask "donde esta CENTRO" as you go.

I forgot to time the walk, but the guess among those that walked was about 45 minutes. About two hours in town was enough for me.

Some of the areas along our walk were run down. I felt that a few guys were trying to figure out how to get my small backpack from me. They followed us even when we made frequent changes of direction.

It's not an easy, relaxed stroll through the old part of the city. I found the vendors bothersome.

Unless you are fit enough for 4 or 5 hours of walking and in a small group I would likely suggest that you hire a taxi and guide. The next time I go to Cartagena I will either stay on the ship or hire a taxi.

I hope this helps a little, I'll monitor this board for follow up questions. Also, I will be interesting in seeing other opinions.

Archived