Hotel Service Charge (Tips) on HAL

Gutenberg

Maybe I missed seeing a thread on here for this, but we received our cruise documents today for the Nov. 7 cruise on Noordam. Tucked in the back was a notice that the Hotel Service Charge will be raised from $10 per day per person to $11, beginning Oct 8, 2008. Is this old news to everyone else and just new news to me?

I know the crew works very hard and the staff on HAL is superior, but if HAL feels they need a raise, why don't they take the money out of the fuel surcharge to pass onto them?

Ruth and Jim, I love your cruise itinerary. I only wish I was retired to have the time to build one like that.

I talked to a travel agent and asked her when she thought the fuel surcharge would be dropped and her response was "Never". She thought it was the cruise industry's way of getting more money on the top without having to give the travel agents a percentage. Apparently there seemed to be some bitterness among the agents about this whole fuel surcharge issue.

I know the crew works very hard and the staff on HAL is superior, but if HAL feels they need a raise, why don't they take the money out of the fuel surcharge to pass onto them?

Isn't the fuel surcharge meant to pay for the fuel? :confused:

Lets see, the actual increased costs to the cruise lines was about 10X the fuel supplement passed on to the passengers. With this logic, the crew would owe HAL. :eek: Sorry, this won't fly (or sail ;) )

Lets see, the actual increased costs to the cruise lines was about 10X the fuel supplement passed on to the passengers. With this logic, the crew would owe HAL. :eek: Sorry, this won't fly (or sail ;) )

Huh :confused:

I don't understand what you are saying.

Yup, I'm just doing up a notice to my clients that I have to raise prices because of fuel costs :( Hate to do it, but can't afford to stay in business if I can't recover the increased costs.

I think I'm gonna charge my boss a fuel surcharge for having me come in to work....

Huh :confused:

I don't understand what you are saying.

They (the op) want the 'extra' tips to come out of the fuel surcharge. HAL is in the hole with the fuel surcharge (as they only passed on 1/10th of the additional costs). There isn't any 'extra' money in the fuel surcharge fund. Thus, following that 'logic' the crew would owe HAL. :rolleyes:

Mary Ellen,

I believe that most folks believe as you do.

First, Cruise ships run on the lowest grade oil that is left over after everything of value can be distilled from a barrel.

Top dollar for that oil reached the $36 area per barrel in July of 2008.

NOT $136.00 but only $36.00.

Folks often complain of soot on their balconies in the aft section, a sympton of the use of that low grade fuel.

It is my thought that when all things are known, that CCL Corporate is doing just dandy, and pushing lots of costs forward as fast as they can to maintain that fuel surcharge. Kind of like the trim packages sold on new cars, added dealer markup.

If they ran the USED oil out of the deep fat fryers, it would be an improvement in quality.

Islands in Hawaii are starting to complain about the volume of cruise ships that they are seeing for the above reason. Every day there is one in port, it is like having an belching power plant move in next door.

Hugh in Dallas

Archived