Am I Out Of Touch With Reality????

Shirley and Les

Hi hcat :)

The concept of having extensive sports facilities on a ship might be new, but keeping passengers "entertained" is a very traditional part of cruising.

When my husband and I took our first cruise, during the middle seventies, we were a little concerned that we might get bored because there were only two ports, St Thomas and St Martin, during our nine day round trip cruise from New York.

However, we were very pleasantly surprised to discover that there were so many interesting things to do during the day that we had trouble deciding on just one for each time slot. The only difference is that they were geared toward a very different demographic than today's mass market cruises because the majority of these activities were competitive bridge games, various types of lessons, or intellectually stimulating lectures.

There were also new movies each day that people on land were still paying to see, while night time entertainment was usually a ballet dancer, classical music, or an aria.

After I posted the message quoted above, I looked at our "Lista Passengeri" from our cruise during the seventies.

What I found interesting is that its cruise staff section in the beginning of that booklet included the names of the ship's bridge experts, financial lecturer, and arts and crafts instructors with the cruise director and ship hostesses.

OK, here is a bit of information as background. Today was my LXX'th birthday. I am putting it in Roman Numeral code to filter the replies. ;) Please do me a favor and avoid all the "Happy Birthday" comments. I've had enough of those over the years. :rolleyes:

Yesterday, I commented in a thread on the changes to the new =X= dinner menus. Where are the lobster tails, the lamb chops, the always available strip steak, the always available shrimp cocktail and Celebrity going cheap, cheap, cheap were the main points of my comments. Am I missing the change to the new fusion menus, the small plate restaurant trend and the casualness of the younger people?

When I read the dress code threads, I always side with the tuxedo and suit crowd. The only time I wear flipflops is when I am going to take a shower in the health center where I annoy people by hogging a treadmill for almost an hour to get my three mile walk. Is this showing my age?

I read threads about carrying luggage off a ship to be able to leave early. It takes three men and a boy to carry our stuff anywhere. I always wonder why someone is in a hurry to get off a ship? Why are they rushing? Is there something better than a cruise to make me hurry?

I'm not quite sure how to maintain a balance here. I don't want to be characterized as one of those old fharts (sp) who cuts in line at the buffet or dashes into an elevator as soon as the doors open. However, I have grown up with a lot of "do's" and "don'ts" that are now turning into "maybe's".

It really gets tough to distinguish between cultural changes and my feelings on acceptable behavior.

FLAME AWAY!!!

Les aka "The Curmudgeon"

I will NOT flame you - I will APPLAUD YOU!!!

DH and I started cruising about 5 years ago, we were so fortunate that our TA insisted that we sail on =X=, the Summit. We loved it! Some of the things we love is that the men wore tux's (my DH brought his), most of our fellow passengers had couth and manners. We took our grandchildren on =X= when they were only 6 and 8 1/2 they wore a tux and full length gown to formal night, went to the late seating and sat quietly, ate from the adult menu, and asked to come back for the second formal night. We were going to buy my grandson a dark suit, but he said that "it is formal, I 'have' to have a tux". Now if my grandson knows this at 6 why can't adult men figure it out?:confused:

We have mostly sailed =X= since then but have sailed other lines that have appalled us!

We are with you, why are they carrying their own luggage, why it is SO hard to follow rules (that they agreed to when they paid their fare), why it is SO HARD to be courteous to their fellow passengers?

They are not cultural changes they are just rude people and cruise line management will stop serving cheap meals if they get enough complaints and start sailing with empty staterooms!

I read threads about carrying luggage off a ship to be able to leave early. It takes three men and a boy to carry our stuff anywhere. I always wonder why someone is in a hurry to get off a ship? Why are they rushing? Is there something better than a cruise to make me hurry?

Les aka "The Curmudgeon"

Hi, Les! I prefer to drag my luggage off the ship at the first opportunity. Why? 'Cuz the buffet usually closes at 8:30 or 9:00am, we have to be out of our cabins (on Celebrity. at least), and most of the ship is shut down. Most of the passengers who are still aboard are crammed into lounges and the theatre, bored, sitting, staring blankly at each other, chatting on cellphones, and counting the minutes when they can finally disembark. Not a fun way, in my books, to end a cruise. What did you do to pass the time?

Donald.

I will NOT flame you - I will APPLAUD YOU!!!

DH and I started cruising about 5 years ago, we were so fortunate that our TA insisted that we sail on =X=, the Summit. We loved it! Some of the things we love is that the men wore tux's (my DH brought his), most of our fellow passengers had couth and manners. We took our grandchildren on =X= when they were only 6 and 8 1/2 they wore a tux and full length gown to formal night, went to the late seating and sat quietly, ate from the adult menu, and asked to come back for the second formal night. We were going to buy my grandson a dark suit, but he said that "it is formal, I 'have' to have a tux". Now if my grandson knows this at 6 why can't adult men figure it out?:confused:

We have mostly sailed =X= since then but have sailed other lines that have appalled us!

We are with you, why are they carrying their own luggage, why it is SO hard to follow rules (that they agreed to when they paid their fare), why it is SO HARD to be courteous to their fellow passengers?

They are not cultural changes they are just rude people and cruise line management will stop serving cheap meals if they get enough complaints and start sailing with empty staterooms!

Once you have realized that cultural changes are in fact a real thing and the fact that i do not want to wear a tuxedo is not me being rude, let us know. I am sure we will all welcome you back down to planet earth.

Once you have realized that cultural changes are in fact a real thing and the fact that i do not want to wear a tuxedo is not me being rude, let us know. I am sure we will all welcome you back down to planet earth.

Thank you, I was beginning to think I was the only person who felt like this. Not only are there cultural changes, but formal wear is different depending on what region of the country you come from.

I will not be wearing a gown or a cocktail dress on formal night. I will be wearing what I consider appropriate for a nice dinner on a cruise ship and that would be basic black slacks and a nice top.

I do know that out of the 70 of us in our group, maybe only 1 or 2 of the men will be wearing a tux, the rest will be in suits.

We just returned from the Transatlantic on the Constellation. Yes, the lobster tail was changed to the combination seafood dinner. I always found the lobster to be hit or miss anyway. There were still shrimp coctails, lamb chops etc. If you want a steak, just ask. In fact if you say you like something you may get it every night. I have never found the food in the main dining room to be outstanding. It's an impossible task when serving that many people. Many of the dishes are excellent and some just acceptable. We started sailing on Celebrity in 1994.

The portions in the main dining room are smaller, but if you want more they will gladly bring it. I think it's a good thing. There was too much waste before.

The buffet area of the ship is much improved. Stations have signs and are much more defined. There are a lot more options available and we found the selections to be much better than in the past. We also were impressed with the quality and selections of the casual dining area in the evening.

We had bridge teachers and directors for duplicate bridge for the entire cruise. There were three or four lecturers who were excellent and lots of classes, trivia, demonstrations and outdoor activities.

On this particular cruise there were a majority of men dressed in tuxes on formal night and almost everyone complied with the dress code, at least at second seating. I can't comment on first seating because I wasn't there.

The best part of the cruise, as always, is the lovely people we meet and the time spent getting to know each other, and the pampering by the excellent crew and staff.

Thank you, I was beginning to think I was the only person who felt like this. Not only are there cultural changes, but formal wear is different depending on what region of the country you come from.

I will not be wearing a gown or a cocktail dress on formal night. I will be wearing what I consider appropriate for a nice dinner on a cruise ship and that would be basic black slacks and a nice top.

I do know that out of the 70 of us in our group, maybe only 1 or 2 of the men will be wearing a tux, the rest will be in suits.

You are definitely not alone in this irishgirl, believe me you.

I just don't get why it bothers people so much, i mean, if i walked around concerned about what other people are wearing and doing all day long, i think i'd lose it.

Its the variety of life, seeing it all adds enjoyment to my vacation.

Different strokes for different folks i guess.

Almost LII here. Thanks Shirley and Les for starting this post. It has been great reading and proves that we all can get along and have our own little quirks. I'm one of the ones rushing to get off the ship first - gotta get back to work because I've cut my vacation so close. I won't hassle you about your hour on the treadmill if you don't mind my rushing through Customs the last day aboard. As 'mybagsarepacked' mentioned, I can respect you for what you need to do.

Well before I went on our first cruise (just back) I was on the other side - democracy - if most people wear jeans that is what they want to wear etc.

But coming back from the cruise while I in no way would judge anyone what they wear I am surprised at some of the choices.

And that no one seemed to read even the dailies code of conduct re clothes (which is so much more relaxed that in x book in your rooms or on web site).

The table next to us had a honeymoon couple which the girl wore shorts in the evening though she changed later on for the disco into white capris which I couldn't understand - as white capris are a bit more formal than shorts!

Couple behind us had on football shirts and a girl next to us had on a t-shirt that looked like she had worn it to bed it was so crumpled.

My husband who wanted a relaxed non formal cruise was very good and kept to the rules (even he commented!) - no jeans.

But most people I think kept to the spirit of the code (would say formal night was quite relaxed - didn't see too many tuxedos)

But the most important part I think most people enjoyed themselves and that's good :)

I spent my 1st cruise this year on RCI Voyager for my 40th birthday and one of the things that i was looking forward to most were the formal nights. My fairy godmother had packed me 2 beautiful evening gowns and off i went feeling like a million dollars. I was thrilled to see my fellow cruisers from the youngest children and teenagers up to the older generation all dressed in their finest. ( manners also seem to be a bit more polished on formal nights ! ) Maybe it was the champagne , but those evenings had a touch of magic to them.:)

We sat at a table . Ladies in our evening dresses (including the 18 and 21 yo sisters travelling alone ) , men in their tux or suits and it all felt very refined until the honeymoon couple at our table arrived half an hour late and in jeans and long sleeved tshirts ( both nights ! ). Now , i am in no way a snob but it did spoil the ambiance for the rest of us and i felt that if they disliked dressing up that much then they could have found a more casual place to dine on those nights.

I am cruising on the Summit next year with my parents and daughter and am looking forward to even more magical moments.

I love to travel and see new places, try different foods, learn new things and meet new people. I want to feel special and a touch glamorous even if it is only for 2 weeks a year. After all, isnt that what cruising is all about !

So if there is a touch of Cinderella ( or Cinderfella ) in you, then dress up and go to the ball . You might just love it ;)

Archived