Inside or Balcony?

packercruising

When we cruise the Caribbean we always get an inside cabin as the balcony isn't worth the extra cost. 90% of the time what you see from the balcony is water, right? We have never cruised the Mexican Riviera before and are wondering, from a purely scenic point of view (as with Alaska) is there an advantage to having a balcony?:confused:

I think the 3 main itineraries that I would consider an absolute for a balcony would be Alaska, Hawaii, & the Panama Canal (ok 4: around the horn from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso). We enjoy balconies regardless but it depends upon the price point. We did an 8 day Carnival Spirit to Acapulco with a balcony because it was priced at @ $750 per person. Our next cruise is a 12 day Mediterranean and that will be an inside cabin because at the time of booking, inside was $1399 per person and balcony was over $2800 each.

I wouldn't spend the money for a balcony in the Med unless it was extremely price competitive. As an example, our 12 night cruise coming up in November only has 3 "at sea" days. All the other days are in port with departures scheduled around 7pm in most cases. In November, I believe it get's dark around 5pm so there would not be much to see. If a balcony was 100-150 more per person than an inside, I might consider it. But not at $1000 per person more. That's another 7 day cruise I could take instead of spending it on a balcony. For me, it would just depend on the price points.

I think is where and when do you go. Where, because you can find very good places, and when because maybe theres a special thing. But still theres nothing wow, if you can get a cabin with window, so if theres something to see you see it and you will have more light.

When we cruise the Caribbean we always get an inside cabin as the balcony isn't worth the extra cost. 90% of the time what you see from the balcony is water, right? We have never cruised the Mexican Riviera before and are wondering, from a purely scenic point of view (as with Alaska) is there an advantage to having a balcony?:confused:

We thought that way too, but once you go to a balcony that is it. Morning breakfast, late night watching the stars while sipping wine ect...

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, a balcony is not only a place to view the scenery, but to experience the serenity and tranquility of the sea..just lounging during the day, or sleeping with your balcony open and the sounds and smell of the ocean is priceless..omg did I really say that:eek:

Hey, let's get real, once my wife was introduced to a balcony..that was it.

we didnt have a balcony to alaska and im glad i didnt spend 2500$ more for it , it was too cold 1st of all, and we were never in our room

honestly , we saw the same from the top deck, i would never pay more for a balcony,

if money isnt an issue then go for it , but my personal opinion is it isnt worth it ,

we also did hawaii 14 days and had an inside, which was fine,

like i said we were rarely in the room,

for mexico, i would say it isnt necessary, just my thoughts though.

My standard response is that if you have to ask, choose the inside, especially in this economy.

We splurged for the balcony on our Panama Canal cruise and unless you have an aft cabin, we saw nothing from the side balcony except the wall of the canal. We spent our time at the front or back of the ship. It was so hot and humid, we forced ourselves to use the balcony about 15 minutes a day. On those days, we preferred to be at the pool.

Of course if money is no object.......

I had an inside cabin for Hawaii and I was fine with that cuz I was in port everyday and when we were sailing was dark outside so you couldn't see anything anyways. We got an aft balcony for our mexican riviera cruise and although it was nice, we weren't out there very much. Spent more time in our room than out on the balcony. I wouldn't spend the money for it unless you have money to throw. I booked another mexican riviera cruise so my kids can go and we booked a 5A this time so we can have fresh air from outside but can't sit on the balcony cuz there is a railing that prevents you from going outside. I'm okay with that. I would also be okay with an inside cabin. In fact, DH & I are considering an inside cabin instead of balcony for an alaskan cruise. Balcony is almost twice as much money and I just cant justify that especially when it so cold outside that you don't want to be on the balcony.

Hi all,

Past cruises have always been inside. We went on NCL Dawn and got a balcony and now there is no turning back. Continental breakfast, sitting outside listening to the waves and having privacy is the BEST!! I am very frugal with my money and I can tell you Balcony is the ONLY way to go!!

It's an option of course. We have never really considered it. What would be the advantages of that?

The advantage of a window is that you will have light, and a bit of a view.

I just like to see the ocean from my room. I prefer the balcony for the floor to ceiling windows, but a window is better than nothing. I always book an ocean view room when I go on land vacations to Hawaii. I just can't imagine giving up that beautiful view of the ocean.

But for those that like the insides for whatever reason, more balconies for me. ;)

It's an option of course. We have never really considered it. What would be the advantages of that?

If you're at all claustrophobic, a window makes all the difference in the world.

When you wake up, you know if it's daylight without looking for the clock, watch, whatever, which I try not to travel with anyway.

You know the weather (I know, not the temp, but at least cloudy or sunny, windy or calm) without getting dressed and going up on deck (or I guess you could turn on the TV to see, but then that would wake up the traveling companion).

I frequently wake up as the ship is pulling into port (sound of the engines changes, anchor, speed, etc.J), and some of the ports we've sailed into are awesome in that first look in the morning.

It's not as good as a balcony, but waaaaaaaaay better than an inside (IMHO).

No kidding, you are from Wasilla? How cool is that these days? :) :)

It would be nice to see the ports in the early morning.

Right now it's only 16 degrees...cold for this time of year, so yes, it's definitely cool:D ...We don't have to explain where Wasilla is anymore when people ask us where we live...

For the rest of my life, I will never forget some of the awesome sights we've seen upon awakening and pushing the curtain aside while on a cruise ship; the walled city of Rhodes and entering the bay of Santorini are two of my favorites. After that trip we got a special deal on a balcony, and it's even better for hanging out on while the ship pulls in. I know other people are happy to hop right out of bed, get dressed immediately and run up to deck to see what's going on, but I start slowly in the morning. So if in an inside, I either miss seeing things, or have a "bad" start to my day.

Balcony all the way. I made the mistake of getting a balcony for our first cruise, I can never go back now!!

My wife and I loved sleeping with the doors open and listening to the sounds of the ship cutting through the waves. Also one of the best parts of our cruise was waking up before the sun came up and watchin as the ship came into each port, it was a beautiful site.

I have to agree - once you get a balcony you always want one. There are so many reasons why you should.....having a private space to sit outside, listening to the sound of the ship cutting through the water, waking up to that sound in the a.m., a place to appreciate the beauty of the ocean....with breakfast of course! Meeting other balcony people in port and at sea, a place to watch your arrival or departure in ports, experiencing amazing sunsets, watching the sun rise....the list goes on and on.

Plus, when you are in Cozumel and on the port side, you get to watch everyone run for the ship which is hilarious!! LOL

Reading some of your responses I understand why I don't need a balcony. You like to get up to the ship pulling into port. We are usually sitting having breakfast in the buffet dining room by the window when the ship pulls into port. It is pretty quiet early in the morning. So I get the same tranquility and view without paying additional money for the balcony.

We have early seating which means we may be having dinner as the sun comes down. It depends on the time of year and the itinerary. Usually we can enjoy this from the dining room, sometimes not-it depends on table assignment.

As for pulling out of port, with our earlybird schedule, we are back on ship long before sailaway and usually at an upperdeck where we can get the best view and/or enjoy the band.

If you have money to spare and nothing else to do with it - then by all means take the balcony. I for one would rather take a second cruise.

Do what works for your budget.

Archived