What is Maasdam Going to Do?

sail7seas

A friend who was keeping an eye on the Halifax webcam reported seeing Sea Princess pull out of Halifax early. Since her next stops would ordinarily be Saint John and Bar Harbor, I wonder where she's off to? :eek:

I'd rather be tied down in port like Maasdam!

Captain made a fast run to get up there ahead of the storm. Wonderful to see Maasdam safely tied up. I've been thinking about them all day.

Why would Princess pull out? Doesn't make much sense but, of course, there well could be things we don't know.

A friend who was keeping an eye on the Halifax webcam reported seeing Sea Princess pull out of Halifax early. Since her next stops would ordinarily be Saint John and Bar Harbor, I wonder where she's off to? :eek:

I'd rather be tied down in port like Maasdam!

They must be out of their minds to head north in that weather!!!

Can any of you posters up there in the NE advise about the wind strenghts of this storm?

I realize this is not a hurricane but I have always been under the impression that ship captains do not like to have their ships tied up against a dock/pier in a heavy storm in fear of them (the ships) getting slammed against the shore and sustaining damage as a result. That was the case, at least, in Acapulco in OCT 1997, when hurricane Pauline struck Acapulco and Capt. Jonathan Mercer slipped Veendam the heck out of there against the directions/orders of the Acapulco Port Authorities. He wound up outrunning Pauline and becoming a hero to all us passengers onboard. There was a warrant for his arrest issued by the Mexican authorities who weren't happy as a result of his decision.

Wha'ts the Maasdam doing in Hallyfax on a Sunday? Should be in Boston or Montreal.

No, Tom. She sails Saturday to Saturday. Alternating in Boston and Montreal. This is her last call this year as she will board pax for her repo cruise when she gets to Montreal.

'Sapper' -- I sincerely hope that you are relatively unaffected by the storm on that high ground in Millidgeville !! :)

Good luck from 'The Bear' (in Grand Falls) :cool:

Good luck to you too----this is going to be province wide. The Gorge will be wild tomorrow!!!

Can any of you posters up there in the NE advise about the wind strenghts of this storm?

I realize this is not a hurricane but I have always been under the impression that ship captains do not like to have their ships tied up against a dock/pier in a heavy storm in fear of them (the ships) getting slammed against the shore and sustaining damage as a result. That was the case, at least, in Acapulco in OCT 1997, when hurricane Pauline struck Acapulco and Capt. Jonathan Mercer slipped Veendam the heck out of there against the directions/orders of the Acapulco Port Authorities. He wound up outrunning Pauline and becoming a hero to all us passengers onboard. There was a warrant for his arrest issued by the Mexican authorities who weren't happy as a result of his decision.

I remember reading that story about Captain Mercer in the past. Perhaps it was you that posted it.

Last I heard, Hurricane Kyle was just squeaking out being a category I Hurricane with winds of 75 mph. Seeing as she is coming into colder water, it is expected her wind speeds will decrease. By the time she reaches Halifax, it is possible she will no longer be officially hurricane force winds. Let's hope.

I have heard that ships are safe at sea but it would have been plenty miserable for everyone sitting the storm out at sea.

Perhaps if the winds were category 2 or 3, it would have been necessary. But with barely a category 1 and expected for winds to drop, Captain and all involved had to feel Maasdam would be safe tied up.

All of this is mere speculation on my part. What do I know? I wouldn't begin to question their decision. Captain Draper is hugely experienced as are all HAL Captains. No question he knows best.

The only thing I know for sure is I send best wishes to everyone who will be hit by this storm. If nothing else, Kyle is dropping heaps of rain. We just had another heavy burst of rain and we thought it had all passed by us by now. I think we probably got something like 6-8" of rain in the last day and a half. We had just about no wind.

I remember that!! Quite a bit of talk at that time about that!!

Can't answer about the winds (we had bad ones here after Ike -- 79 miles per hour in our area and 89 miles per hour north of us -- no rain).

Copper--here is a website for you www.cbc.ca/nb Click on "weather warnings" and you will get you will find your wind speeds for different areas.

For Nova Scotia, try www.cbc.ca/ns

Yeah, I posted that a while back - great experience for those of us onboard Veendam. That was a Panama Canal repo from Vancouver, BC to Ft Lauderdale, Fl. The next cruise after that was going to Cozumel and the captain had some anxiety going there because he knew an arrest warrant had been issued. The funny part came when the Cozumel (HAL) port agent played a joke on him by coming onboard with two coppers, one of which proceeded to put handcuffs on the captain. He thought hewas going with them. Seattle took care of the real warrant.

Yeah, I posted that a while back - great experience for those of us onboard Veendam. That was a Panama Canal repo from Vancouver, BC to Ft Lauderdale, Fl. The next cruise after that was going to Cozumel and the captain had some anxiety going there because he knew an arrest warrant had been issued. The funny part came when the Cozumel (HAL) port agent played a joke on him by coming onboard with two coppers, one of which proceeded to put handcuffs on the captain. He thought hewas going with them. Seattle took care of the real warrant.

Whoa....... that was not a very funny joke to play on the good Captain IMO :eek:

I seriously doubt he was ROFL his *## off. :(

That is quite the story!

Whoa....... that was not a very funny joke to play on the good Captain IMO :eek:

I seriously doubt he was ROFL his *## off. :(

Actually, after he was told it was a joke, he saw the humor and they all laughed - there were more people aware of the scheme - it all took place on the bridge

Archived