Transportation from Airport to Hotel and to Port?

Livabeth

Hi everyone ... Happy Sunday!!

My dh, 2 dd (aged 9 and 5) and myself leave in 3 weeks for Fort Lauderdale to catch our cruise. We are flying in the day before and arrive in Florida around 10 a.m. This is great since we will have the entire day to relax before getting on the cruise the next day.

How have others travelled from the Fort Lauderdale airport to the hotel and then onto the port the next day? We are staying at the Embassy Suites and therefore it will be very close to both the airport and port. At first I just thought we would grab a taxi from the airport and then from the hotel, but now i'm wondering if with the 4 of us and all of our luggage (probably about 6 pieces including 3 carryon ... i don't pack too light!!) if we will fit in a standard taxi? Would it make more sense to rent a car or order a special car service?? Additionally, have others found it handy to have a rental car when they spend the day before their cruise in Fort Lauderdale?? Any info or insight would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Livabeth,

We(3 adults) did the trip from Toronto to Ship a couple of year's ago. We took a Taxi from the Airport to Hotel (Marriott) which wasn't very expensive; the driver wasn't too happy because of the shortness of the run and thus low fare; It is possible that you could get a van (Taxi) that would hold all. The next day we took the Hotel Shuttle to the Port which again, was not expensive. I don't see the advantage of renting a car; how will you be able to return it?. You could always try SuperShuttle (just Google it) and get quotes from them for a Limo or Van. One of the things that might interest you is to take the Water Bus around the port; you wouldn't need a car for that, just maybe a Taxi.

I would def get a rental car if you do not want to be stuck at the hotel all day. We have been tossing around the same scenario ourselves. We decided just to get a hotel with free transfers from the airport and to the port. We are not getting in until late-10 PM, so we really will not need to go anywhere that day and the morning we are just going to be ready to get to the port. If we were getting in at 10 AM I would get a car. What we were going to do was to drive to the port, drop off our luggage and my husband was going to drop my daughters and I off. We would wait for him while he turns the car in. After you turn the car in at the Fort Lauderdale airport, there is a free shuttle that comes around and takes you to the port. From what I read, there is a pick up near Alamo. So you can get your car from there to make it easy. Its a little time consuming, but you have autonomy, know your stuff will fit, are on your own schedule and can have the ability to get out and see Fort Lauderdale/Miami the day you arrive.

Thanks for the advise. I think we will just get a taxi. Other than stopping to get some wine and drinks to bring onboard, we plan on hanging by the pool for most of the day .. our girls are both fishes!!

My biggest concern was fitting all the luggage in the taxi. My husband thinks I am bringing way too much ... but with being gone for 10 nights (including pre and post cruise stays), I feel I am bringing just enough. Which leads me to my next question .. how much luggage do you all bring??

Thanks again.

Thanks for the advise. I think we will just get a taxi. Other than stopping to get some wine and drinks to bring onboard, we plan on hanging by the pool for most of the day .. our girls are both fishes!!

My biggest concern was fitting all the luggage in the taxi. My husband thinks I am bringing way too much ... but with being gone for 10 nights (including pre and post cruise stays), I feel I am bringing just enough. Which leads me to my next question .. how much luggage do you all bring??

Thanks again.

Our vacation last month was a 10 day total including pre/cruise/post. As far as luggage we had a suitcase and a carry-on for each person. Plus a beach bag that I had odds and ends in. FYI ~ we drive to port so luggage in not an issue for us.

Thanks again.

We were gone for 10 days on our cruise/Disney World/Sea World trip so I can you that I packed 1 suitcase per person and 1 carry on per person and you know what, we brought ALOT back unworn.

So I know I overpacked. But I will do the same again on the next cruise. I cant help myself. :o

Archived