Carnival vs Princess for Family Cruise

UtCruisinFamily

I am considering both the Princess Sapphire and Carnival Elation for an upcoming family cruise. My husband and I have cruised Princess before and really enjoyed our experience. I know the Elation has a shorter cruise and different ports, but it is almost 1/2 of the cost. Which of the 2 ships is better for a family with 3 kids (11, 9, 6)? Is the Elation as luxiourious as the Princess ships? I am looking to get the most for my money.

Thanks for your advice!

I don't know about the Elation, but I'm a Princess cruiser who tried the Carnival Pride once because I could get a balcony cabin for the same price as an obstructed view cabin on Princess. If the cost was substantially less for the same cruise, I would go with whichever was the best deal because we have fun no matter what, but otherwise I prefer Princess - even with kids. Carnival does do some things better than Princess: their buffet is superior, with lots of different stations and a pleasant eating area (but we don't use the buffet); there is 24 hour self-serve ice cream on Carnival; there is some kind of celebration most every night in the dining room, which makes it a fun party; the little kids program is better on Carnival. Princess has better food and is just a bit more....refined I guess is the best word I can come up with. We thoroughly enjoyed our Carnival cruise, but we'll be on the Princess Sapphire again next week, though Carnival would have been a bit less cost-wise.

Best,

Mia

If you go on the Elation then just adjust your expectations accordingly. It won't be the same as a Princess cruise so don't try to compare the two. No diffferent than most things in life where one item is significantly less than the other item.

The Elation is not as luxurious as the Princess Ship. It is more of a glitzy ship and is more plastic in terms of its finish out.

I personally think that Princess is better for the family. Some will disagree and again it comes down to preference. There is no right or wrong here.

Keith

You can't beat the price of a Carnival cruise.. plenty of things for the kids to do (Camp Carnival) I've never been on a Princess Cruise, can't say that I ever will either, it is pricier and I love Carnival enough that I have no desire to try another (more expensive) cruise line. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, after all!! I have cruised childless, but I am booked for my first cruise in 2010 with my then to be 1 year old, and can't wait!!

Hmmm! I agree I think it is personal preference. Each cruise is different. I was on the Saphire in July/07. My DH and I thought it looked great for kids. Lots of activities. When we did happen to run into a kid we asked them what they thought. They all said it was so much fun.

Now I just got off the Elation and there was hardley any kids. It was more so a party boat. But that could be it was a 4 day trip to Cabo:confused:

The trend seems to be the shorter the cruise, the more younger people (especially around spring break time which I avoid like the plague:eek:.. Learned my lesson once!!) because it's more affordable for the younger crowd.. Not so bad on the 7 or 8 day cruises, except spring break time of course!

• 2 weeks later...

UtCruisingFamily: You said it right there in my book, COST. I being Mr Frugal with more bang for the buck. I'd stick with whatever is cheaper. I love Princess and Carnival and both have different appearance, style, etc. Princess in my opinion, is a little more upscale but have the same features and ammenities. Food can vary from ship to ship, appearance vary, and kids programs vary in some degree. Cost is my deciding factor still!

I am considering both the Princess Sapphire and Carnival Elation for an upcoming family cruise. My husband and I have cruised Princess before and really enjoyed our experience. I know the Elation has a shorter cruise and different ports, but it is almost 1/2 of the cost. Which of the 2 ships is better for a family with 3 kids (11, 9, 6)? Is the Elation as luxiourious as the Princess ships? I am looking to get the most for my money.

Thanks for your advice!

Archived