self guided wine tours

croosieloosie

I will be driving from Santiago to ConCon in February. How do I go about seeing the wineries if I have a rental car and no tour guide? Or do I have to have a guide?

Thanks

You don't need a guide BUT you must make reservations at most of the wineries at least 2 days in advance. Just showing up often gets you denied a tour.

MOST of the wineries (at least the better, more famous ones) are located SOUTH of Santiago (Vina/ConCon are Northwest). There are two large valleys that have the premier wineries-the Maipo and Colchaga. The valley going towards Vina is called the Casablanca Valley and specializes in white wines. The others specialize in reds (and everything OTHER than white).

Concho y Toro is the most famous, largest winery. Vina Santa Rita has a VERY nice restaurant.

In the Colchaga valley, there is even a "wine train". Doesn't run every day, but the tour was fun, even though I absolutely detest any wine except a very light white. I have just never acquired the taste for wine.

My favorite place is Casa Silva. Casa Silva is a VERY luxury hotel, with a VERY good restaurant. I go for the ambiance of the hotel, the carriage rides, the polo (who sees polo in the USA). the gauchos and the food. I don't go for the wine tour or wine tasting. On the Casa Silva website, there is a map showing numerous wineries in the area.

http://www.casasilvahotel.cl/

We were thinking of doing much the same. Anyone know of what driving in Chile is like?

I know it is a compartivly safe country and we plan to spend about 5 days there post-cruise. Is driving do-able for a forgiener, or is best to stick to organised tours?

We were thinking of doing much the same. Anyone know of what driving in Chile is like?

I know it is a compartivly safe country and we plan to spend about 5 days there post-cruise. Is driving do-able for a forgiener, or is best to stick to organised tours?

VERY easy. If you can drive the 101 in California, you can drive in Chile. Looks pretty much the same, except the roads are better.

Oops-I just realized you are from the UK. Well, other than driving on the "wrong" side of the road for you, you will be fine. Lots to see and the scenery is generally spectacular. In addition to the wine areas, you should go to Portillo (about 100 miles North of Santiago). Site of World Champion Ski contests and really fantastic in the summer time.

thank you! Fortunatley I have driven on the 101 in california, it's just parking whilst sat on the wrong side of the car I can't do!

You've made up my mind for me, we will certainly rent a car while we are there now.

You don't need a guide BUT you must make reservations at most of the wineries at least 2 days in advance. Just showing up often gets you denied a tour.

MOST of the wineries (at least the better, more famous ones) are located SOUTH of Santiago (Vina/ConCon are Northwest). There are two large valleys that have the premier wineries-the Maipo and Colchaga. The valley going towards Vina is called the Casablanca Valley and specializes in white wines. The others specialize in reds (and everything OTHER than white).

Concho y Toro is the most famous, largest winery. Vina Santa Rita has a VERY nice restaurant.

In the Colchaga valley, there is even a "wine train". Doesn't run every day, but the tour was fun, even though I absolutely detest any wine except a very light white. I have just never acquired the taste for wine.

My favorite place is Casa Silva. Casa Silva is a VERY luxury hotel, with a VERY good restaurant. I go for the ambiance of the hotel, the carriage rides, the polo (who sees polo in the USA). the gauchos and the food. I don't go for the wine tour or wine tasting. On the Casa Silva website, there is a map showing numerous wineries in the area.

http://www.casasilvahotel.cl/

Thanks you so much, again. LOL How do you make the reservation at the wineries? Can I email them?

Thanks you so much, again. LOL How do you make the reservation at the wineries? Can I email them?

MOST of the larger wineries with scheduled tours have a reservation thingy on their website.

The smaller ones-you will have to email.

VERY easy. If you can drive the 101 in California, you can drive in Chile. Looks pretty much the same, except the roads are better.

Oops-I just realized you are from the UK. Well, other than driving on the "wrong" side of the road for you, you will be fine. Lots to see and the scenery is generally spectacular. In addition to the wine areas, you should go to Portillo (about 100 miles North of Santiago). Site of World Champion Ski contests and really fantastic in the summer time.

If we don't speak the language, will we have a hard time understanding the road markings?

If we don't speak the language, will we have a hard time understanding the road markings?

You mean stop signs/yield signs/one way signs???? Those are pretty well universal and look the same in Chile as they do in Vietnam as they do in Phoenix.

For specific things-I would sure get a traveler's dictionary. If nothing else, you can at least look up something and most likely make sense of it.

• 1 month later...

We just returned from a 1 week wine trip to Chile. Actually, San Antonio and Casablanca valleys have some of the most innovative/newer high-end wineries in Chile. Colchagua and Maipo are the more "traditional" valleys and have a mixture of very great wines to complete plonk. If you are enroute from Valpo to Santiago I would highly recommend visiting Matetic vineyards in San Antonio or House of Morande in Casablanca. Both have tours and superb restaurants. You do need to book ahead but can find their websites and email on line. Most people at the wineries will speak English so don't worry about communications. I agree, infrastructure is very good but be aware that most roads have tolls, so make sure you have small change. Also, make sure you have a good road map and good directions from the wineries. You will not see big highway signs advertising them!

Archived