Single Oceania fares

Robertorp

Why single travelers, are so badly welcomed by Oceania. Why a cabin with single occupant should cost same, or even more - excluding port taxes - than a double occupancy?? I understand that minority group are not well accepted today, but from the Company stand point I think it is no so bad to have less passengers on a crowded ship. A 100 % surcharge is on your opinion fair? A modest 5 or 10% discount on double will be in my view more appealing without any serious treat to O. income. And morally better. What's your opinion??

Why single travelers, are so badly welcomed by Oceania. Why a cabin with single occupant should cost same, or even more - excluding port taxes - than a double occupancy?? I understand that minority group are not well accepted today, but from the Company stand point I think it is no so bad to have less passengers on a crowded ship. A 100 % surcharge is on your opinion fair? A modest 5 or 10% discount on double will be in my view more appealing without any serious treat to O. income. And morally better. What's your opinion??

What a strange question!! You sound as if you feel a certain group is somehow discriminated against by one cruise line.

In actuality, ALL cruise lines have some sort of Single Supplement fare as their published fares are calculated based upon two to a room. A single passenger takes up the same space as two - albeit they consume less food and drink. Thus, some sort of single fare is needed to produce the same income for each cruise.

ALL cruise lines have some sort of Single Supplement fare as their published fares are calculated based upon two to a room. A single passenger takes up the same space as two - albeit they consume less food and drink. Thus, some sort of single fare is needed to produce the same income for each cruise.

Ricky 88-

Another reason that the single suppliments are so high, is that for some unknown reason, singles on a cruise dont spend anywhere near what their landbound peers do.

I guess that none of us like to think of the "big brother" aspect of shipboard accounts, however, if you suppose that the cruise lines don't use spending history as a marketing device, you're wrong.

In fact, when a single person starts bending my ear about this onboard, I usually suggest that they could remedy the problem by buying me a drink ;-)

StanandJim:

In fact, when a single person starts bending my ear about this onboard, I usually suggest that they could remedy the problem by buying me a drink ;-)

and how exactly would that remedy their problem?

More seriously, the fact remains that some cruise lines are more accommodating to single travelers than others and thus less "penalizing".

As a single cruiser then, one should support those lines; however, that may severely limit their choice of itineraries available.

Ricky 88-

Another reason that the single suppliments are so high, is that for some unknown reason, singles on a cruise dont spend anywhere near what their landbound peers do.)

I guess I'm just not convinced that "on-board spending" really enters into whatever the Single Supplement calculation produces. If as you suggest, the single traveler spends less, then it is still a very small percentage of the cruise cost.

The OP brought up cruises as where the single traveler is made to pay a much higher cost. But, let us not forget Tour Companies - they too make a surcharge to the single traveler, based upon not "on-board spending",but the fact that they include overnight hotel accommodations. Here, the single traveler pays a surcharge for being a single occupant of a hotel room whose rate in predicated upon "two-to-a-room".

(I'm in favor of discussing this on any upcoming cruise - and, yes, I'll buy the first drink!) :)

Ricky 88-

Another reason that the single suppliments are so high, is that for some unknown reason, singles on a cruise dont spend anywhere near what their landbound peers do.

I guess that none of us like to think of the "big brother" aspect of shipboard accounts, however, if you suppose that the cruise lines don't use spending history as a marketing device, you're wrong.

Tks for your participation. I love Oceania ( 3 cruises + 2 booked) - I cant agree on spending classification mentioned. It is based on what? Personal conformist feeling? - On the contrary I see many couples on just Coke or .... coffee.- Personally I m used to spend a fortune without "bending" to anyone (see above strange comment), loving wine champagne and complicated cocktails.

HAL - (I have 129 cruises days o/b) is charging 140/150 % for single Oceanview and 180 / 200% for balcony and suites. Fair enough: I'm ready to pay double fare for a good cabin if this is choice.

Costa is "unofficially refusing" to book a high grade cabin to a single person. It happened to me. They prefer to allow 3rd or fourth passenger free. Their policy. I have a "Pearl" grade as past passenger but I' m staying far away from them.

On old time when booking was human and not purely on computer, regular customers were given a good single at zero supplement.

Profit is on o/b spending and tours and perhaps on fidelity.

Oceania being on many ways inclined to traditions, independent and innovative, on my opinion could be more marketing creative on this matter. I sincerely hope so.

Thanks again

I guess I'm just not convinced that "on-board spending" really enters into whatever the Single Supplement calculation produces. If as you suggest, the single traveler spends less, then it is still a very small percentage of the cruise cost.

The OP brought up cruises as where the single traveler is made to pay a much higher cost. But, let us not forget Tour Companies - they too make a surcharge to the single traveler, based upon not "on-board spending",but the fact that they include overnight hotel accommodations. Here, the single traveler pays a surcharge for being a single occupant of a hotel room whose rate in predicated upon "two-to-a-room".

(I'm in favor of discussing this on any upcoming cruise - and, yes, I'll buy the first drink!) :)

I agree, and.... I'm ready to buy the second drink on a serious discussion

Thank you.

Archived