Just talked to Carnival about inablity to book shore excursions

Havinsnest

I was also told this for 2 cruises we have just come back from... the excursions were never shown online..... but were all available from the excursion desk on board. So don't worry, you'll probably get them on board.

We sail 4 weeks from yesterday and still have 3 ports with nothing posted. We are on the Victory from Miami, debarking in San Juan. I was told that the delay was because this route is only being done once and to check back next week. I think they could have done a little better planning. I prefer not to have to do this on board.

We sail in 2 months on the Splendor and 2 ports have nothing listed, 1 has 1 thing listed and the other has about 6. My husband asked our PVP about this and she said that some ports are slow at getting there contracts or whatever done, but we have never had this issue in the past. We always like to have this all booked several months ahead of time so that we can save the money or go ahead and make payments on this. This is driving me crazy beacuse I like to have my vacation planned and know what I am doing, where. I do not wish to do this on the ship.

I was also told this for 2 cruises we have just come back from... the excursions were never shown online..... but were all available from the excursion desk on board. So don't worry, you'll probably get them on board.

oh I dont like booking onboard, I want to make sure I get what I want and they have some that our sold out....but if nobody can book online then it seems there would be a rush for excursions making a long line and headaches...ugh:(

also getting this at the website:

Having trouble reserving your shore excursions? Remember, you can only book shore excursions online if you've made a full deposit and you are not within three days of -- or more than 120 days from -- your departure date. Once your vacation reservations fall within these guidelines, you're free to add some excitement to your “Fun Ship” cruise with excursions your friends and family will love.

Shore excursions may be booked at the Shore Excursions desk on your ship, but due to high demand and limited availability, we strongly suggest you book your excursions online in advance

We are on the Splendor 11/29 and we have one for San Juan, a few for St. Thomas, never had anything for the Dominican Republic, there were a few for Nassau but they disappeared after the website change a few months ago. The sailing before us also comments no excursions either. I too figured that will be a pain as well as I wanted to have them paid ahead of time. I like to budget what I can spend and with no prices posted I don't really know what to account for. Apparently it is company wide on all or most ships and not just for 2009.

For the Splendor we get told new ship so it takes longer to set up the excursions, but that wouldn't explain the other ships though.

Patience, people. Patience.

I've had excursions added as close as 3 weeks prior to sailing. On the Miracle last December, several excursions were not available until we boarded. That was probably because it was a one-off sailing of that itinerary.

HMC excursions were just added for our 12/13 Fascination sailing.

I hope no one thinks that because there is nothing listed, that nothing will be available!

And if they aren't, just walk by the excursion desk when you first board, pick up the list, fill out the form and drop it in the box. You don't have to wait in a line. And on many ships, you can order your excursions via the TV.

And for the vast majority of ports, you can book your own for a lot less than through the ship anyway. Often, you don't have to prepay, either.

Patience, people. Patience.

I've had excursions added as close as 3 weeks prior to sailing. On the Miracle last December, several excursions were not available until we boarded. That was probably because it was a one-off sailing of that itinerary.

HMC excursions were just added for our 12/13 Fascination sailing.

I hope no one thinks that because there is nothing listed, that nothing will be available!

And if they aren't, just walk by the excursion desk when you first board, pick up the list, fill out the form and drop it in the box. You don't have to wait in a line. And on many ships, you can order your excursions via the TV.

And for the vast majority of ports, you can book your own for a lot less than through the ship anyway. Often, you don't have to prepay, either.

Yes....waiting in line is not necessary. The ability to book excursions directly through the tv has been available on every one of my cruises. I have done it and it was quite easy. Tickets were left in my cabin by room steward.

My only thing with the excursions is I would like to know now what the cost is so that I know exactly how much to budget for. I really hate to plan on an excursion being $50 and then get there at it be $90. Their little dollar signs give a very broad range so they aren't very helpful.

If by chance anyone knows that may have done the Altos de Chavon artists village in the Dominican Republic what the going charge was for that? That was really the only one there that seemed a little interesting to us.

My only thing with the excursions is I would like to know now what the cost is so that I know exactly how much to budget for. I really hate to plan on an excursion being $50 and then get there at it be $90. Their little dollar signs give a very broad range so they aren't very helpful.

If by chance anyone knows that may have done the Altos de Chavon artists village in the Dominican Republic what the going charge was for that? That was really the only one there that seemed a little interesting to us.

Oh I do agree with that! Even if you could not book it it would be better to see a real price range. Those little $ symbols are not very good.

Sorry I can't help you with the price. i have been to Altos de Chavon but not on a cruise excursion.

I don't think the Fantasy-class ships have the interactive tv, but you can still fill out the form when you first board and drop it in the box.

When I tried to book a snorkeling excursion while on Miracle for Grand Turk, it wouldn't let me. I went down to the purser's desk (excursion desk wasn't open), and was told it was because it was too close to the time (we were docking the next morning). Couldn't get the time I wanted so booked something else. Whole thing took about 5 minutes. My fault for waiting so late to make a decision.

For budgeting purposes, I'd take the top dollar in the range they're showing and plan on that. That way, if it is offered and turns out to be less, you're covered. Or take the average from the range rather than the low end. Better to have a pleasant surprise rather than unpleasant.

I have been told that for our 11/29 Liberty cruise, we will have to book shore excursions for San Juan on board. I never do Carnival excursions; we always do private, but wouldn't you know, the ONE time I want to do a Carnival one, I have to wait til I'm on board.

We're in the same boat (well, 2 weeks earlier!)....

There are only 2 excursions listed for San Juan; a walking tour and a bus tour. When you add that to the fact that we're only in port from 5:00pm until midnight, it's grim.

We usually DO book Carnival excursions, but for San Juan, we didn't want to take a chance, so we booked a bio bay tour on our own.

We're in the same boat (well, 2 weeks earlier!)....

There are only 2 excursions listed for San Juan; a walking tour and a bus tour. When you add that to the fact that we're only in port from 5:00pm until midnight, it's grim.

We usually DO book Carnival excursions, but for San Juan, we didn't want to take a chance, so we booked a bio bay tour on our own.

That is the tour we want to do too. We are in port the same times. I looked into doing it independently. What company did you book through?? I checked out 2 companies and both said that with the time constraints, it would be too risky getting back to the ship so they wouldn't book me. That's why I am trying to book with Carnival.

That is the tour we want to do too. We are in port the same times. I looked into doing it independently. What company did you book through?? I checked out 2 companies and both said that with the time constraints, it would be too risky getting back to the ship so they wouldn't book me. That's why I am trying to book with Carnival.

One of the guys on our roll call has put together a trip with these people:

http://www.kayakingpuertorico.com/pages/biobay.html

So far, we have about 15 people signed up and they said we'd be back to the dock at 10:30.

Maybe you could contact them and then post something on your roll call and see if you can get a group together (we're also saving a little money by putting together our own group!).

One of the guys on our roll call has put together a trip with these people:

http://www.kayakingpuertorico.com/pages/biobay.html

So far, we have about 15 people signed up and they said we'd be back to the dock at 10:30.

Maybe you could contact them and then post something on your roll call and see if you can get a group together (we're also saving a little money by putting together our own group!).

Thanks! I'll look into it.

We leave in 50 days :D - my husband and I are booked on Splendor leaving on November 21, 2008 and still no excursions. I have called many times and they keeping tell me in a few more weeks. One told me that until the ship is in our area (since is oversees now) that we will not be able to see the full excursion list. Well that ship is not expected to be in (our area) Fort Lauderdale until November 14. :( I hope the excursion will be posted sooner, like everyone else we also would like to budget our money and have our plans set. Hope Carnival can resolve this issue soon.

:confused:

We are on the Splendor the week after you. I even had one rep tell me the European excursions weren't done yet - I had to tell him the ship would be in the Caribbean. My mother has called more often than I have and has gotten a different answer every time. You would think they could come up with one reason. We have gotten

-New ship, new itinerary, takes longer to finalize

-Negotiations with vendors, needing to know the number of tickets they can sell

-They are already all booked

Possibility of ship changing itinerary

-Contract renegotiations - however stated they would absolutely be posted by the end of September

-Will just have to wait until we are onboard

I keep trying to book a shore excrusion for Paradise 01/02/09. I am getting the 120 days out message... I will continue trying because I like to prepay as much of the cruise as possible before I board... I want to do the Foxploration/ Rosaritta Beach. I want to see if the model I helped build for the movie TITANIC is still there in the special effects department . Plus I like the Rosaritta beach hotel.

Also it is January and most likely will be too cold to go on the beach in Ensenda.

Tom in Long Beach

Archived