Seasickness on Silvermoon??

Debdoll

How smooth is a Silvermoon Catamaran trip?? Have gotten sick on some rough sea, smaller ship before...anyone ever had this problem??

Thanks!

Debdoll

We have taken the Silver Moon excursion several times and it has never been rough to the point that anyone became seasick, not one passenger in the past has shown any signs of feeling ill whatsoever. They stay closer to the coast line and don't go into any rough channels. So, I would say it is a safe excurson even for those that have a problem with seasickness.

I have done SM twice and am returning for the third trip next month. Both have been fantastic and really smooth sailing - the first time however there was one woman who did get seasick....on a bit of a gross note if you want to see lots of fish vomit sure soes attract them (I know- gross)

I think if you know you get seasick easily I would take something for it before hand. Sometimes just being anchored and the up and down motion of the boat can set you off (this was the case for this lady).

Don't be put off by the fear of getting sick - it truly is a great day out.

riz-I have seen others in the past become seasick before the ship even left the dock, not a catamaran, but the actual cruise ship. Talk about mind over matter. lol

What a way to attrack fish.................ARGH! But I am sure it works. LOL

We have taken the Silver Moon excursion several times and it has never been rough to the point that anyone became seasick, not one passenger in the past has shown any signs of feeling ill whatsoever. They stay closer to the coast line and don't go into any rough channels. So, I would say it is a safe excurson even for those that have a problem with seasickness.

I beg to differ. We were on Silvermoon last year, and while we absolutely LOVED it, and recommend it highly, it IS a free floating sailing vessel, and while it doesn't roll, it certainly can pitch bow to stern, especially when under full sail on the way back. Combine that with plentiful booze and great food, and you're asking for trouble if you are prone to seasickness. Do yourself and your fellow passengers a favor and take a seasickness medication with breakfast before sailing.

I can't think of a worse appetite killer than having a fellow passenger leaning over the rail while lunch is being served!:eek:

I beg to differ. We were on Silvermoon last year, and while we absolutely LOVED it, and recommend it highly, it IS a free floating sailing vessel, and while it doesn't roll, it certainly can pitch bow to stern, especially when under full sail on the way back. Combine that with plentiful booze and great food, and you're asking for trouble if you are prone to seasickness. Do yourself and your fellow passengers a favor and take a seasickness medication with breakfast before sailing.

I can't think of a worse appetite killer than having a fellow passenger leaning over the rail while lunch is being served!:eek:

If anyone became seasick on the Silver Moon, I don't think any type of water excursion would be for them. Even a cruise ship might be more than they can handle.

Yes, any free floating sailing vessel will move, but the Silver Moon is one of the smoothest riding catamarans we have ever sailed on (many times). Now if we were talking about the Cats from St. Martin or St. Thomas, that would be a different story.

But the Silver Moon is so tame in comparion, I just can't imagine anyone becoming seasick for any reason on this vessel, and have never witnessed this in the past or even read where someone became seasick, until now. :eek: Except those that tend to get sick the moment they step onboard before the boat even leaves the dock, which is mind over matter, and I have seen this even with huge cruise ships before. Always wondered why those types even consider a cruise of any kind if they are so prone to any type of motion sickness. ;)

If anyone became seasick on the Silver Moon, I don't think any type of water excursion would be for them. Even a cruise ship might be more than they can handle.

Yes, any free floating sailing vessel will move, but the Silver Moon is one of the smoothest riding catamarans we have ever sailed on (many times). Now if we were talking about the Cats from St. Martin or St. Thomas, that would be a different story.

But the Silver Moon is so tame in comparion, I just can't imagine anyone becoming seasick for any reason on this vessel, and have never witnessed this in the past or even read where someone became seasick, until now. :eek: Except those that tend to get sick the moment they step onboard before the boat even leaves the dock, which is mind over matter, and I have seen this even with huge cruise ships before. Always wondered why those types even consider a cruise of any kind if they are so prone to any type of motion sickness. ;)

Ah, then I presume you will be happy to reimburse the cost of the Silvermoon for the original poster if they DO get seasick and ruin their trip.;) The OP said they are prone to seasickness, so my recommendation is to take something before the excursion to avoid the possibility of mal de mer.

Just because you've been on Silvermoon a number of times and never caught a lot of motion doesn't mean it doesn't happen. The waters around Barbados are not uniformly calm 365 days a year, and if you check with some of the residents of the island who post regularly on the Barbados forum, you'll find that at certain times of the year the west coast can indeed become a bit rougher. Silvermoon may be a very smooth running catamaran, but unfortunately they don't have control over weather or sea conditions.

Granted, catamarans do not roll or yaw very much, but they certainly do pitch as much as any other sailing vessel, particularly in a stiff breeze and following sea. It's part of the fun of the ride.

Seasickness stems from the inability of the brain to reconcile the motion of the fluids in the inner ear to the input from the eyes. It is very real, and much more than "mind over matter". For you to suggest that anyone who experiences seasickness on Silvermoon shouldn't be cruising at all is ridiculous and insulting.

We were on Silvermoon II in April of 2008. It's a fantastic excursion, I wouldn't let a fear of seasickness stop you from going, but I WOULD take a Bonine or something before going.

On our ride back to the dock, the seas were a bit choppy, not much, maybe 2 or three foot wavelets. We were riding on the net at the front, and we were pitching up and down (and getting soaked when the bow bottomed out!). It was a lot of fun, but I could easily see someone prone to seasickness getting uncomfortable from it.

My wife is very prone to seasickness, but she took a Bonine and was absolutely fine. I'm not sure if the ride back was typical, as I've only done this excursion once, but I can tell you we're booking it again for our next cruise in May.

Silvermoon was absolutely the best excursion of our trip, and I can't recommend it highly enough. You can see some photos from our trip at this link.

Ah, then I presume you will be happy to reimburse the cost of the Silvermoon for the original poster if they DO get seasick and ruin their trip.;) The OP said they are prone to seasickness, so my recommendation is to take something before the excursion to avoid the possibility of mal de mer.

Just because you've been on Silvermoon a number of times and never caught a lot of motion doesn't mean it doesn't happen. The waters around Barbados are not uniformly calm 365 days a year, and if you check with some of the residents of the island who post regularly on the Barbados forum, you'll find that at certain times of the year the west coast can indeed become a bit rougher. Silvermoon may be a very smooth running catamaran, but unfortunately they don't have control over weather or sea conditions.

Granted, catamarans do not roll or yaw very much, but they certainly do pitch as much as any other sailing vessel, particularly in a stiff breeze and following sea. It's part of the fun of the ride.

Seasickness stems from the inability of the brain to reconcile the motion of the fluids in the inner ear to the input from the eyes. It is very real, and much more than "mind over matter". For you to suggest that anyone who experiences seasickness on Silvermoon shouldn't be cruising at all is ridiculous and insulting.

Didn't mean to offend anyone. Sorry bout that. But I guess I have never understood why someone who KNOWS they actually get motion sickness would consider taking a cruise? It just boggles my mind with so many vacation options out there why anyone that knows beforehand would consider floating around on an unsecure ocean for a week or more, let alone book a catamaran excursion. And yes, I have seen those pea green passengers walking around the cruise ship on every cruise I have ever taken, even those cruises where the sea has been like a sheet of glass. And I have taken many catamaran tours where there are 2 or 3 that spend the entire day with their head in a bucket. :eek: But we have never found the Silver Moon to be 'typical' of other catamaran excursions we have been on in the past (and we take one at every port in the Caribbean and have for years.)

Plus I have also known those that get seasick just looking at the ocean or at a boat, even not stepping foot onboard. Yes, this is mind over matter in this case. ;) I am pretty sure I said just that in the post you are referring to, that some get seasick even before the boat leaves the dock, and yes, if that occurs, I feel that any ocean going vessel isn't for them. IMHO!

I guess what I should have said is that "I" personally have never heard of anyone getting seasick on the Silver Moon. Mainly as they stay close to shore and don't venture out far enough for the motion of the ocean to effect the excursion. This has been MY experience and my experience alone. Sounds like others have more of a problem with that, but that's OK, we all have our opinions, and that is just mine. :)

I guess the best way to phrase it is if you get sick onboard a ship, don't even think of booking a catamaran, even the Silver Moon. If you can handle the cruise ship, then the chances are you can also handle the Silver Moon. IMHO of Coarse.

I am prone to seasickness even after having dived for many years (cannot now as I have an ear problem, so cannot equalize)... I DO NOT LET THIS HAMPER ANY DECISION TO TRAVEL ON THE OCEAN! I used to get so drowsy with medication, and became an avid supporter of SeaBands... THEY WORK! They may not look the prettiest, particularly on formal night, but frankly I do not give a rats ass, 'cause they work.

I can be out on the Hobie cat and feel nauseous and there is nothing worse, so just be prepared!

My last Cruise aboard the Caribbean Princess in April, we had 3 sea days and for me they usually mean "doped up"! Not this last time... I did not even have to wear my SeaBands... my husband and I took Ginger capsules 3 days before we embarked, and I continued to take one every morning for the entire cruise and 2 days following returing to land and ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM. (we tried them out for a week about a month before we sailed just to see how our bodies reacted and no side effects, althougth I have heard of some - they work for pregnant women in their first trimester, they are a great non-medicinal alternative!)

So, please do not let seasickness ruin any chance of you enjoying your cruise or excursions at sea.. just be prepared!

Enjoy!

Denise

we have been on Silvermoon without any problems, but a friend of ours went with her 11 year old daughter and the daughter was sick the entire time!! however, she did fine on the cruise ship...so smaller boats/cats can give a person problems...

we are scheduled to tour again with Silvermoon next week!! :)

Marsha

Archived