On Deck for the Cure, Cruise Critic & Your Stories

LauraS

I agree, would like to see it on a 5 day... I'd participate regardless, It only takes 30-45 minutes.

I wish the would add it to the 5 dayer's too, it only took us 30 minutes, and one group of ladies did an extra lap and still beet my slow poke rear. :D

I have been reading about these events on Carnival and we were so looking forward to taking part on the Conquest in September, but Hurricane Ike had other plans. We have re-booked for the Fantasy 11-12-08. Have they started doing the "walk for the cure" on the 5 day trips? There is conflicting info here...... Anyone have some facts? My Mothers sister passed away in the early 80's from BC. We will take part each chance we are given for this cause! Thanks to everyone who takes part!

mike

digital backs family dentistry raleigh

I did the walk Sunday on the Destiny. It was very poorly attended - only 5 of us showed up. I think that it should have been better advertised. It was in the Capers but only in small print. I know it was only a 4 day cruise but I was disappointed. The asst. cruise director said that even on a 4 day cruise there are usually more participants.

As long as they have it I will be doing it on every cruise I go on - one of my sisters is a breast cancer survivor, I have another sister who died of cancer in 2002 (multiple myeloma), my father passed away in 2001 from bone cancer, my mother is surviving bowel cancer. This terrible disease has touched my family greatly and I will do whatever I can whenever I can to help find a cure. I will be making sure all of us in our group on the upcoming Freedom sailing are walking.

I am so delighted when I learned that Carnival has this event to raise money for the Komen Foundation.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer a week shy of nine years ago. The cancer was detected by an alert radiologist who compared the just completed mammogram x-ray to the previous year x-ray. I had a mastectomy and immediate reconstruction surgery. My surgery went extremely well and I did not need to have chemo or radiation.

I know that I benefited from the research on breast cancer detection and treatment that is funded in part by Komen. I am part of a party of six who will by boarding the Glory one week from now. Whoooo Hooooo! Each of us is going to proudly wear our pink shirts and participate in "On Deck for the Cure". It's a great way to work off some the wondeful food and drinks, too! -:)

My Mother and I will be on the Inspiration Dec. 6th. I have heard of this walk but no knows what I'm talking about on the Carnival Blogs. What are the chances they start doing this walk on all cruises. Can you imagine the money they could raise? I am a team member in a Relay for Life event where I live. I have done this event for over 4 years now. My Mother had a tongue cancer and is just about if not already at the 5 year clear point! I'm so glad she will be able to cruise with me! :D I pray for a time we won't need to do these fund raisers any more!

Karen, FL

I am so delighted when I learned that Carnival has this event to raise money for the Komen Foundation.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer a week shy of nine years ago. The cancer was detected by an alert radiologist who compared the just completed mammogram x-ray to the previous year x-ray. I had a mastectomy and immediate reconstruction surgery. My surgery went extremely well and I did not need to have chemo or radiation.

I know that I benefited from the research on breast cancer detection and treatment that is funded in part by Komen. I am part of a party of six who will by boarding the Glory one week from now. Whoooo Hooooo! Each of us is going to proudly wear our pink shirts and participate in "On Deck for the Cure". It's a great way to work off some the wondeful food and drinks, too! -:)

Cheryl- in an amazing coincidence my wife was 1st diagnosed 9 years ago and had a mastectomy and reconstruction (tram flap)- no chemo or radiation either. Unfortunately it reoccurred in the reconstructed breast last year (less than 1% chance of this). After a lumpectomy and chemo and radiation she is on th emend and we will be doubly thankful when we alk on the Valor in Jan 2009! Best wishes for your continued good health!

I participated in On deck for the cure in honor of my Mom and my Aunt, both Breast Cancer survivors and my Grandma, who we lost. I walked for my Niece and myself who I pray never have to hear that diagnosis. I applaud Carnival for dedicating proceeds of walkers to Breast Cancer Charities and for hosting the walk on board. May we someday walk no more!!

We cruised last year in March 07 and my mom was diagnosed with BC in Sepember of 2006. Her first question to her oncologist was also if she would be able to go on the cruise and everyone her the office knew she was on a schedule to finish chemo. She finished 3 weeks before the cruise and started her radiation when we returned.

I salute also BC patients and survivors. I always knew my mom was my true hero in life and after seeing her do chemo and radiation I never had any doubt.

She is a 2 years survivor and you would never guess that she went through all of it.

So this is who I will be walking for!!

My friend and I participated in the walk on the 10-26-08 Legend cruise. I walked for my cousin - who was given a clean bill of health a month before my cruise. She was 39 when she was diagnosed. She had been married for just short of a year. It was the genetically agressive strain of cancer. She had a double radical mastectomy and then went into a very aggressive treatment program for 6 months. They are planning a cruise for the one year anniversary of her good test results (around 9-30-09).

There were only about 100 people doing the walk last Saturday (maybe the 25 mph winds had something to do with it).

I just participated in the On Deck for the Cure on a four-day Destiny sailing. Because it was a bit windy up top, we did the walk on the Promenade Deck and made enough laps to be equivalent to a one-mile walk.

The lady who was at the front was in great shape and "lapped" the entire rest of the group. It wasn't until later in the walk that she told us she wasw a cancer survivor! It put chills up and down my spine. What an inspiration she was. THANK YOU Carnival for doing this walk. It was one of the highlights of the cruise!

I just participated in the walk on Conquest that sailed 10-26-08. I walked for two friends; one is a 40 year survivor of breast cancer! The other completed her treatment last December and is looking forward to her "one year" anniversary. It was a humbling experience and I look forward to doing it again on my next cruise.

My DH and I did our first Walk for the Cure on the Glory in Oct. 2007 with several of our CC Roll Call members. We walked on the Conquest in June 2008. We both signed up for the walk on the Miracle 10/20/08 sailing, but his knees wouldn't let him walk. I walked with members of our CC Roll Call, and DH took pictures and cheered us on. We are walking for everyone who has had breast cancer or will have it in the future, but I also walk for my cousin, who is a breast cancer survivor. I am also a cancer survivor, but it wasn't breast cancer.

If it is OK to post pictures on this thread, I can post a couple of our CC Roll Call members on the Walk for the Cure in Oct. 07 and Oct. 08. :)

I participated in the "On Deck for the Cure Walk" on the 11/1/08 sailing of the Carnival Glory..along with my two cousins. I am an eight year survivor of breast cancer who celebrated my 50th birthday during the cruise.

I was disappointed about the lack of organization exhibited. A red-haired Carnival employee arrived at the approximate time the walk was to start. Speaking without a mic on a windy day, she told us how much money Carnival had contributed to the Komen Foundation. We were informed that pink lemonade was availble "over there" and we all started walking. I planned to identify myself as a survivor (in case I could help someone) but there was no recognition of survivors. I walked for half an hour, having lost track of the number of laps walked, then stopped.

I was delighted by the number of men and women who participted in the event....there must have been 100 or more. I compliment Carnival for sponsoring this event....great way to to burn off calories, get fresh air, and earn money for the Komen Foundation.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are taking our entire family (all 28) on the Carnival Victory for a family reunion.

This reunion is made even more special, because my father was diagnosed with lung cancer last year and after surgery is doing quite well.

Our entire group will join the "walk" in honor of him and in honor of all of those women who have faced breast cancer!

We'd like to create/purchase tshirts to wear for this event. Does anyone know where those might be available? Also, can I pay for each participants entry fee into the "walk"?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to find out if the Inspiration has this walk. My mother and I are going Dec 6th for 5 days and she is a 10 year survivor of viral tongue cancer. I also participate ever year for the past 5 in our local relay for life walk. I would love to be able to do this walk on the cruise with my Mother but can't seem to fine out if they have one or not. I guess I'll have to wait and see if they have it listed in the capers. Can't wait, 5 days!

Karen, FL :cool:

It seems that all the Carnival ships have the walk for the cure. Check you capers for the day and time. You can sign up and get your t-shirts in the Formalities Shops on board.

Sioux(on the Freedom "Save the Tatas" cruise on Jan. 31 where our group will be walking)

I assumed that these walks would only be in October (Breast Cancer Awareness Month), but it seems that they are continuing them?

Anyone have more details?

What is the price to participate, including the shirt? *I read back in the thread and saw that it is $10*

pboedeker, you can "create" your own "team" shirts at your favorite local printing shop. I recently did that for our triathlon team. We had 17 athletes racing the IronMan in FL. I had 74 bright orange "team" shirts printed. Not only did it make it easier for you to find your group in a crowd, the athletes felt very supported. Caution: There may be some copy right issues - Race for the Cure and Susan B. Kowmen (sp?) are copy righted. In Memphis I can get bulk shirt printed for around $7.00 or less per shirt.

This is a great fund raising idea - as well as getting some of the folks up to the walking track that normally might not bother climbing those stairs.

I hope we have a "walk" on the Fantasy sailing Feb. 16th.

Later. JM

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I'm suiting up with the fireproof underwear for this one.

I was on the Glory for Thanksgiving week and really wanted to do the Walk in honor of my Mother is who is a survivor. I went down to the formal shop on three occasions before there was someone who could actually figure out how to sign me up. (it was not complicated!!) Then I asked when and what time. She asked me to come back again because she did not know. I did. She told me the wrong time. The Walk was over by the time I realized it. I spoke to someone who did manage to get up on Deck at the right time and she said the young woman who was supposed to coordinate the Walk was rather indifferent to the whole thing. I don't wish to rain on the parade here, because I do believe Carnival is doing a good thing but it lacks organization and sincerity.

• 2 weeks later...

Many of you may recognize me from the "saddest post" threads. I did this walk on the Glory last March. At the time my mom had been a breast cancer survivor for over ten years. Little did I know what a difference 7 months would make. In October on the same day we made the final payment for a cruise (on the Imagination on 12/4 with my Mom) she was diagnosed with liver cancer which was metastisized from her original breast cancer. We never made it on that cruise and Mom passed away two weeks ago. My sister and I are hoping to reschedule the cruise to celebrate Moms life and you bet we will be on that walk. In fact we listed this as our charity of choice in lieu of flowers in her obituary.

Archived