On Deck for the Cure, Cruise Critic & Your Stories

LauraS

Iloveroma, go to the Roll Call area of this board and find the thread for your particular cruise. No doubt your cruisemates will be happy to help you with excursions and join you on excursions.

Don't know how you would find out which sea day the walk will be held, sorry.

Wendell

I am new to this and want to know how to connect with other cruisers on this cruise for shore excursions. Can you help? Also, do you know which of the at sea days they will hold the breast cancer walk on this cruise?

Hey Laura.....Ironically I'm wearing my walk for the cure t-shirt today they give you for doing the walk......I've done it several times and even wore the pink wrist band......But one story you should hear is from Goincruisin (Chris)...I was on the sailing of the Saints & Sinners 3 last Fall and they all got out there in their black group shirts and I saw it on the monitor...looked like a sea of Saints & Sinners out there doing the walk.....too cool!:D

That was an awesome time. Close to 400 people walked that day.

DH and I did the walk last Sunday on the Destiny. The assistant cruise director that attended was disappointed at the small number of people that attended. BUT....it wasn't advertised by the entertainment staff to my knowledge at all..... we just saw it in the Capers.

We were happy to do the walk..... I'm a breast cancer survivor of 11 years.

The walk is no big deal.... just 1 mile around the walking deck..... no competing ... the important thing is giving the donation, whether you can walk a mile or not. I wore my t-shirt and pink band with pride..... and we'll do the walk on every cruise from now on.

No...not on the Fantasy. They are doing it on the Elation. Only cruise under 7 days that they do it.....

I think it is broadening out my friend, see mamasue's post above, recent destiny cruise. Hoping we get the opportunity on S&S4. :D

That was an awesome time. Close to 400 people walked that day.

I think it is broadening out my friend, see mamasue's post above, recent destiny cruise. Hoping we get the opportunity on S&S4. :D

That's cool. And we already have t-shirts......

If it is o looks like there will be a bunch of S&S ers in our shirts again.....Cool.......

We are on the Legend Oct 26th I hope they offer it. My Aunt Died of breast Cancer. I will be looking very carefully at the Capers each day. Is it done on the sea days? Is it cash or do you need your card? My Aunt died 10 years ago from BC after a 6 year battle I will be honored to walk for her and I did the SG Komen walk about 5 years ago in Birmingham AL.

Lexi

My DW is a 2x breast cancer survivor. In Oct 2007 we were on the Zuiderdam and I walked for her during On Deck for the Cure. Some of our tablemates and friends we made on the CC boards walked with me. My DW had just completed her radiation therapy and was unable to walk. The assistant CD gave her a megaphone so she could cheer the 75-80 walkers on during their laps. I am eternally grateful to HAL and Carnival for recognizing and doing something to provide support for a cure. We will be participating on our next cruise on the Valor in Jan 09 God willing. My wife just received word that her pap smear has come back with alarming results. We are hoping for the best.

We are on the Legend Oct 26th I hope they offer it. My Aunt Died of breast Cancer. I will be looking very carefully at the Capers each day. Is it done on the sea days? Is it cash or do you need your card? My Aunt died 10 years ago from BC after a 6 year battle I will be honored to walk for her and I did the SG Komen walk about 5 years ago in Birmingham AL.

Lexi

Our's was a sea day. I would think they won't be doing it when you are in port to get as many people as possible involved. Play it safe, go to the formal shop first chance you get. You don't have to wait until the caper has it to sign up. We signed up 2 or 3 days before the walk appeared in our caper. You use your S&S card to sign up.

We already have shore excursions booked for the port days, but if it is a sea day we'll be there. My wife and I have done everything from 5ks up to marathons, and she is doing triathlons - she is registered for Ironman Lake Placid next year. So we'll definitely be up for this!

I will be participating next week on the Glory! My cousin is losing the battle now, and has to have chemo once a week just to buy her more time...this is her 2nd time. She would love to go but can't afford to miss a treatment as she deteriorates more rapidly if missed. The breast cancer assoc. is paying for the treatments and has been wonderful to her through the state of Georgia, as she has lost everything over the last few years due to the cancer. I will be walking in her honor on her behalf and hope to get photos and video to show her as she feels that finding the cure is sooo important....no for her...as it is too late...but to help the rest of her family and everyone else from having to go through what she is going through now.

We are very fortunate--there is no cancer of any kind in our family's history (my sister is a geneologist) AND my husband has been clean from cancer for 9 years now!

We did the Walk for Barry (my husband)--like someone else said, any advancements in research helps everyone--and a co-worker I've been supporting through breast cancer. She is the first person I've ever known personally to have breast cancer.

I'm still wearing the pink band. I'm going to send my friend my husband's band to let her know we did the walk for her.

My husband participates in Relay For Life as well.

Oh and someone said something about the 5K... on Carnival, it is a 1-mile walk, not a 5K. (At least on our sailing on the Liberty 9-13-08, that is).

I did On Deck for the Cure on Conquest back in July...what an inspiring event. So many people joined in, but I was saddened at the amount of people sunbathing who didn't even pay attention to us going round and round. Oh well...

Today was Denver's Race for the Cure, and I wore my ODFTC pink wristband proudly. Guess what? I kept meeting people who said, "hey, I was on a cruise that did that too!!"

It was great, and my next cruise I will definitely participate again if they do it. Unfortunately Holiday didn't have one back in August.

My mom is nearly six years breast cancer free, and we hope she is the last one in the family to even have to deal with it.

Let's all find a cure! :)

I was on a Princess Cruise last December with my DH and another couple. They had the On Deck For the Cure walk, but I was just diagnosed 2 weeks before the cruise with learning that my breast cancer had advanced to my bones. I stayed in my cabin most of the cruise not feeling like doing anything. So, my DH and friends walked for me. It has been almost a year and I am feeling GREAT and doing well. We have a Carnival Cruise booked in November and I can't wait to be in the front of the line with the other survivors!!!

Julie

We gave our 10 dollars and got our Tshirts last Oct on the Liberty. Never did get to do the walk, I think the heat was bad that day. I will do the same in Jan and on every cruise I go on. I plan to walk in Jan. I think alot of people donate, they just don't walk. I hope they keep it going, what a great thing!!! Lynn

I can not express the happiness I felt seeing all of my old friends, and meeting many new friends from the Saints and Sinners group up on that deck. As a BC survivor, It was so wonderful to see everyone there. You all were there in full force, and each time you walked past me, I was so happy. I could not walk the entire walk because of my recent heart surgery. Pain was a large part of that trip, so I was not able to enjoy everything like I would have been able to do, if not for the pain. I wanted to spend more time talking with everyone. I will miss you all on your upcoming cruise.

Chris, Randy,Zone, Jessmon,and everyone else..I will miss you all, and will always remember you.

Until we meet again.........

Glo

I can not express the happiness I felt seeing all of my old friends, and meeting many new friends from the Saints and Sinners group up on that deck. As a BC survivor, It was so wonderful to see everyone there. You all were there in full force, and each time you walked past me, I was so happy. I could not walk the entire walk because of my recent heart surgery. Pain was a large part of that trip, so I was not able to enjoy everything like I would have been able to do, if not for the pain. I wanted to spend more time talking with everyone. I will miss you all on your upcoming cruise.

Chris, Randy,Zone, Jessmon,and everyone else..I will miss you all, and will always remember you.

Glo

Hey beautiful....Come over to the S&S4 thread and say hello. Remember...it was you who let us all know about the walk on S&S3 and people loved ya for it.....

Come over to the 4 thread and let us talk you into going on S&S5 with us....We'll put in our laps and you and hubby can cheer us on again or walk more this time if your up to it......

Love Ya.......See you soon Glo.....

I didn't see this offered on Carnival Ecstasy in September - maybe because it's a 5 day?

But my best friend Tracy & I did do it on Caribbean Princess in May. The only athletic-type shoes I'd brought along were my Lands' End water shoes, and halfway through the 5K, they started rubbing a blister on my sockless feet. So I pulled them off and finished the walk barefoot. Only problem was, there was one stretch of deck that was in full sun for the entire time of the walk, and it got very hot! So I had to do the ooch-ouch-hot-hot-hot tippy-toe dance across that part every lap.... :) BTW, on Princess they don't do the T-shirt and bracelet, they do a baseball-type cap.

DH and I did the walk on the Valor in December 2007. There were abot 50 people and it was a beautiful day. Before we started, we were asked to shout out the names of people that we were walking for and then we clapped our way to the start. It was great to do something so special while vacationing.

I will do it on the Glory this December if they are doing it.

Going on a 4 day cruise the end of month with my daughter. Its a shame its not offered on ALL ships. We would love to do the walk!!! I don't know why its not, is it too much to organize for a short sailing??

Lexi

Lexi we will be on the same cruise - I am looking forward to doing this walk for my aunt who died from breast cancer in the 1980s, and also for two co-workers; one who is a survivor and one who is losing the battle

Mary in NC

Hopelea- Ref to "does the Glory do the walk?"

Emily and I have done the walk twice on previous Glory cruises - and we will be doing it again the week before you this year. You can register any time (no paperwork) by paying ten dollars at the Formal Wear rental shop and picking up Tee shirt and bracelet- wearing the Tee helps advertise the event (for you guys its a great conversation starter too- women love a guy who is not afraid to wear Pink- :o ) the walk is on one of your sea days - supposed to be one mile but most folks cut it short- especiall if bright sunshine)

I highly recommend joining in the fun- this one mile "Walk for the cure" is the sea going version of the Komen Fondation 5K "Race for the Cure" (you can also walk - either the 3 mile or an optional 1 mile) around the country. The fellowship is tremendous with thousands of folks all coming together for this- and iI guarantee you will be moved to tears during the "Survivor Celebration" where those wearing the pink ribbons are called up on stage to hold hands high in celebration.

My Mother was a survivor; she lived for twelve years and died of unrelated heart conditon. The early detection and treatment that enabled her blessing was due to the education programs and the medical research that organizations such as the Komen foundation provide.

Even if you don't do the walk- make a donation and wear your really cool Tee shirt and pink bracelet- and you single guys I am telling you this is a better chick magnet than a puppy dog or even pushing a baby stroller- :)

Roger K

I did the walk just yesterday, on the Legend. I did it with my son, sister, niece, and a number of friends that were cruising with us, with Tina the CD leading the walk. We have all had breast cancer effect us lately. My best friend, who walked, has a friend only 42 years old, and not doing very well with it. She has small children too. My sister has a good friend who is a 15 year survivor, but now is fighting again. My grandmother died of breast cancer. In May, my mother was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in her breast. Very small fortunetly. I went with her to the first Oncology appt, and was asking lots of questions about the time schedule for her treatment. The Dr asked why I needed to know?? I told her my mom IS going on a cruise in Oct!! Well, she was on this cruise with us, finished her radiation a week before the cruise. She, however, was not able to do the walk, because she was very tired, because my 73 yo mom, had been parasailing in Cozumel the day before, and cave tubing the day before that!!! For anyone that knows about radiation, it zaps your energy, so I am very proud of her for getting out there and enjoying her cruise. Consequently, I HAD to do the entire walk:D

BTW, we all gave our $10 plus another $10, least we can do if research keeps mom going so she can enjoy her cruise next Sept on the Conquest.

And thank you Laura for increasing awareness to a cause near and dear to so many of us.

Glo

Hiya Glo, really wish you were cruising with us again. :( We'll be thinking about you as we walk. And yes, until we meet again.

I too also participated in the walk. Mom mom fought lung cancer and now has brain cancer.What a great feeling to know you are helping out in such a very small way. The ones who weren't walking clapped and cheered with every lap.I was hoping the walk would be available on the bloggers cruise,maybe it's something they can add to the 5 day sailings as well. Thanks for creating this thread!

I agree, would like to see it on a 5 day... I'd participate regardless, It only takes 30-45 minutes.

Archived