On Deck for the Cure, Cruise Critic & Your Stories

LauraS

• Administrators

Seabourn Cruise Line has taken the fight against breast cancer to the high seas with On Deck for the Cure, a fundraising walk that happens on every Seabourn sailing to raise money for Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Throughout October – Breast Cancer Awareness Month – Cruise Critic will be teaming up with Seabourn to raise awareness of this program among cruise passengers by publishing photos, personal stories and daily fun facts about both On Deck and Komen for the Cure.

Have you participated in a walk onboard, whether on your own, with your family or among a group of friends? We have been moved by our own walks with the program, and now we want to hear your stories: why you decided to walk and how it changed your outlook or your vacation experience. Share them here and inspire others to get “on deck”! Each week in October, we’ll pick one story for publication on Cruise Critic’s dedicated On Deck for the Cure page.

We created nametags that you can wear on your On Deck for the Cure Walk!

Download them here: On Deck for the Cure Nametags

Tip: Nametags are designed to print perfectly on Avery #5264 labels, which can be used on Inkjet or Laser Printers.

Laura

We are extremely fortunate that we have no history of breast cancer in our family (yet) but we know the devastation of this disease as friends have certainly been touched by it.

When HAL began its association with the Susan G. Komen Foundation we applauded this and have participated in The Walk right from the start.

We always sign up though we do not always finish the walk. It is 5K and is a bit too far for us but that is fine. There is wonderful companionship, friendship and spirit among the walkers and no one is asked to do more than they are comfortable doing. Some folks make a contribution, wear the t-shirt HAL provides all who make the contribution/sign up and they cheer the walkers on.

One memorable walk was on Maasdam, sailing a Canada New England Itinerary and Arjen van der Loo was Captain. Simon de Boer was brand new Hotel Manager and they both led the walkers. Captain van der Loo was training for a Marathon at the time and was in great shape. He started off at a walking pace I can only dream about. :) By the time he completed the 5k he had 'lapped' every single walker and there were lots of us. Some folks in great shape shook their heads as he 'glided' by. :)

HAL has raised huge sums of money through the years and I think it a wonderful association they support this cause. We will always sign up and contribute to the The Walk on each of our cruises.

Look for an announcement about it in The Daily Program. It is written up a few days in advance to give people time to sign up, get their t-shirts (and sometimes a pink rubber bracelet) and plan to walk. On some cruises, they send around a separate sheet announcing The Walk to each cabin. Should you not see the Notice, ask the Front Office. They will happily give you details.

Laura..... THANK YOU for putting up this sticky. Wonderful!!!

Hi Laura,

Thanks for creating a sticky to highlight a most worthwhile event.

We cruised with HAL for the first time this past June and thanks to CC, I was aware of the Walk and proudly participated, wearing the pink Komen memorial "card" honoring my mother. My byline was that I race with my mother on my back. :) (I've logged all the marathons and walks over the past three years and it was fun to notate one done at sea!)

We attended the Indonesian tea the afternoon before and met a young couple who was also interested in fitness. And by a wonderful coincidence, we saw them during the walk. The young gal was telling us how she wanted to get more serious about doing 5K's at home and the Komen event boosted her enthusiasm even more. Wow, could this gal walk fast. LOL! She was young enough to be my daughter and it was delightful to inspire each other during the walk. The friendliness of the group was outstanding and one of the top memories of the cruise.

So, thanks for bringing awareness thru cruise critic.

Aloha,

Noreen.

Hi Laura,

I would like to share my experience with you. My husband and I partcipated in the walk on our March trip aboard the Noordam. It was a great experience. The day was beautiful, we were leaving San Juan as the walk began, which was led by our cruise director. I was diagnosed in November 2007 with breast cancer and upon our return from the trip I would be undergoing a masectomy. So, this was extremely important and emotional for me.

At the beginning of the race they ask if there are any breast cancer survivors in the group and and would they please come to the front of the line. My usband said go but I said I don't feel right about that yet. After we fiished the 5k, I said to myself I need to book another trip because next time I will be in the front with all the other incredible, strong survivors!!!

Thank you HAL for taking interest in such a wonderful cause that is so near and dear to my heart.

We've been on 2 HAL trips since this program began, and I've done the walk on both of them. Once it was a little cold, and of course both times it was windy, and sometimes my nose runs. I occasionally think I could be lounging on the balcony, but slap down that thought with the memory of my mother tolerating chemo and a host of other indignities without complaint, and always with grace. I throw in an extra lap for good measure.

Hooray to Carnival Corp and HAL for sponsoring these events! We have a Carnival trip booked in '09 and another HAL in '10, and you can expect to see my smiling face On Deck for the Cure on both.

I thought Seabourn did "Trivia for a cure" due to having a limited jogging track on the triplets? :confused:

You are right, Matt, on the Legend the 'On Deck for the Cure' was tied to the Trivia contests. I did donate and received a visor and pink bracelet.

So there I was in Amalfi, sitting by the dock and doing some people watching before going to lunch. I was sitting next to an Italian Nona and her husband and they were going to Naples to see their newest grandchild. (My Italian fluency is limited to Ciao, autostrada and grazie and prego, but we managed to communicate for a long time.)

She pointed to my visor and the pink ribbon logo. Then she pointed to her own breast. Turns out she had been successfully treated for breast cancer! She was interested to know if I had cancer because I was wearing the visor. I am not sure if she understood I was supporting the cause, but no matter. She was so excited; I gave her my visor and she promptly placed it on her freshly coiffed hairdo, grinning all the way.

It was a delightful interchange and a reminder that the scourge of breast cancer knows no geographical or age boundaries.

We have a lot of cancer in my family. My beloved grandmother along with several of her brothers and sisters died from breast, bone and lung cancers.

While on the H.A.L. Westerdam to Alaska in May, I had the opportunity to participate in the walk. The walkers,and cheerleaders (not to mention the pink lemonade) make it a wonderful on board experience. My grandmother never got the opportunity to go on a cruise. While still working, she was diagnosed. She had a breast removed and fought to recover. She believed that if she could make it five years without any setbacks, she'd be home free. She wanted to travel and was looking forward to it. She had only ventured as far as Florida, as she didn't want to be too far from home.

Four months before her five year mark, she learned the cancer had come back into her bones. It was then too late.

So to anyone out there that might be thinking of travelling. Do it! You never know what tomorrow will bring.

I appreciate that H.A.L. runs this excellent fund raising activity.

So to anyone out there that might be thinking of travelling. Do it! You never know what tomorrow will bring.

While this will be our first cruise, I'm no stranger to travel... but I had never set foot on a plane until after my mastectomy. I had always wanted to go to London, ever since childhood, because after all it's the setting for a lot of fiction, children's and otherwise. I vowed that if there was one trip I wanted to make before..., well you know, that was the one. Since then I've made lots of friends and go there to visit them every year or two. I've also been to visit a friend in Brazil, flying there nice and cheap as an air courier about ten years ago.

Archived