Has anyone had extra taxes added to S&S onbaord account?

firefly333

Im still booked on Ecstasy for 1/24/09 and they had a nice rate on another cabin I thought I would call about, for $20 pp I would do the upgrade, even though Im one who doesnt care that much about the cabin. I thought ok if they will do it for $20 pp, Id do it.

My TA said it would be over $60 and turned out the taxes (or maybe its the port fees) have gone up on my cruise and she said if I dont pay them now, Carnival says they will just add them to my shipboard account. Has this happened to anyone, that they added the new higher fees after they got on board??

Im paid in full, so the price of the fees must have gone up since I paid.

Just curious. If I have to pay the extra once onboard, its not a biggie, just thought it odd they could add that after I board.

Im still booked on Ecstasy for 1/24/09 and they had a nice rate on another cabin I thought I would call about, for $20 pp I would do the upgrade, even though Im one who doesnt care that much about the cabin. I thought ok if they will do it for $20 pp, Id do it.

My TA said it would be over $60 and turned out the taxes (or maybe its the port fees) have gone up on my cruise and she said if I dont pay them now, Carnival says they will just add them to my shipboard account. Has this happened to anyone, that they added the new higher fees after they got on board??

Im paid in full, so the price of the fees must have gone up since I paid.

Just curious. If I have to pay the extra once onboard, its not a biggie, just thought it odd they could add that after I board.

I would think that they can not add anything after you put down a deposit unless you go for the upgrade or take OBC. You basically have a contract for the price you agreed upon when you sent in your deposit. If you keep that contract, Carnival cannot charge you anymore money. If you change that contract, upgrade or OBC, then you might have to pay the prevailing rate at that time. This is my take on things. Perhaps your TA didn't send in your money at first and is now trying to get you to pay the difference. What does it say on your docs? If you are getting e-docs, you can look at them now. If you asked for paper docs and you look at your e-docs, then you will not receive paper docs.

The port fees are passed through directly to the passegers. They can change anytime. Btw if a port is missed passengers are supposed to get this charge back.

We went on the Triumph out of Miami last December. The port charged a $1.30 terminal fee that was passed on to each passager. This was on our S & S bill.

I would think that they can not add anything after you put down a deposit unless you go for the upgrade or take OBC. You basically have a contract for the price you agreed upon when you sent in your deposit. If you keep that contract, Carnival cannot charge you anymore money. If you change that contract, upgrade or OBC, then you might have to pay the prevailing rate at that time. This is my take on things. Perhaps your TA didn't send in your money at first and is now trying to get you to pay the difference. What does it say on your docs? If you are getting e-docs, you can look at them now. If you asked for paper docs and you look at your e-docs, then you will not receive paper docs.

Here is the contract, this issue came into play a few years ago when Alaska charged a $50 head tax. People that were fully paid had to pay it or they couldnt cruise.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

7. CARNIVAL’S RIGHT TO INCREASE FARES, CANCEL OR CHANGE VOYAGE

(a) Carnival reserves the right to increase published fares and air fare supplements without prior notice. However, fully paid or deposited guests will be protected, except for fuel supplements, government taxes, other surcharges and changes to deposit, payment and cancellation terms/conditions which are subject to change without notice.

thanks socref and waiting (with a g :) )

The TA (who cannot be named) says they read me a script saying Carnival will pass on the higher charges, either at time of final payment or once you are onboard.

I paid off Ecstasy at the same time my recent Conquest cruise, a couple of months ago anyway, so the increase is since then because I am paid in full. I decided to pass up the upgrade.

This is the second time I ran into oddities with fees this week, just booked RCL Voyager last sunday and something even odder they tried to charge. Fees went down on that cruise (someone said a port was omitted), but RCL system tried to charge me the fees from back the date I purchased a next cruise cert, but use sunday's date to charge me the new higher rate of $10 on fuel pp, they wanted it both ways, to use two different dates.

I guess we need to be more aware of fees and taxes, not just price changes.

Here is the contract, this issue came into play a few years ago when Alaska charged a $50 head tax. People that were fully paid had to pay it or they couldnt cruise.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

7. CARNIVAL’S RIGHT TO INCREASE FARES, CANCEL OR CHANGE VOYAGE

(a) Carnival reserves the right to increase published fares and air fare supplements without prior notice. However, fully paid or deposited guests will be protected, except for fuel supplements, government taxes, other surcharges and changes to deposit, payment and cancellation terms/conditions which are subject to change without notice.

Yes, the TA said they read me the script saying I was liable for higher fees (cant remember), but I was just curious if anyone was charged once onboard the higher fees. Since its only $20ish Im ok either way, its not a biggie, just a curiosity.

Actually the price of my cabin went down $20 a person also, but to get that Id have to pay current fuel surcharges, so Id be in the hole, its too bad they cant take it out of the $40 price reduction.

The 5A price now is what I was trying to get, its only $20 more than I paid, we had a 5A last time, thats how I ran into the changes on Ecstasy.

Archived