Luggage Valet ?'s

Is this something that you can sign up for once on board or do you arrange it prior to your cruise? We are sailing Monarch (out of Port Canaveral) in April and would love to use this service(flying UAL). Thanks for any info.

They will put a form in your cabin which you will need to complete and return to the purser's desk. There is a deadline and they really stick to it.

Luggage

Q:

What ships are offering the service?

A:

We are currently working on having this program available on all ships. Currently, the program is offered on sailings 7 nights and longer departing from the following ports:

Ft. Lauderdale

Los Angeles

Miami

Port Canaveral

San Juan

Seattle

Vancouver

Q:

What is the cost for the Luggage Valet program?

A:

The fee for the Onboard Airline Check-in and Luggage Valet Program is $20.00pp. This service fee is for the issuance of your airline boarding pass and luggage handling.

Airline Extra Baggage Fees for your second or first bag will be charged in addition to this service fee when applicable per your airline’s specific rules and policy. Royal Caribbean is not an airline representative and does not determine the airline baggage fees.

Q:

Can the Luggage Valet program be purchased prior to my cruise?

A:

The Luggage Valet program can only be purchased onboard the ship. Guests will receive a letter in their staterooms explaining the details of the program. The information can also be requested from the Guest Relations Desk.

Q:

What will happen to my luggage once it is off the ship?

A:

There are two different systems depending on the port.

For Port Everglades, Miami and San Juan, PR:

Luggage will get laid out with the rest of the luggage that is coming off the ship. You will claim their luggage and present yourself to Customs. Once cleared, you will proceed to a location outside Customs Hall and drop off you luggage with one of our staff members. Your luggage will then go directly to an in-bond truck to be transported to the airport.

For San Diego, Seattle, Vancouver, Los Angeles and Port Canaveral:

Your luggage will not be laid out with the rest of the luggage coming off the ship. It will go directly into an in-bond truck for be transported to the airport. You will present yourself to Customs and if required, will be reunited with your luggage for inspection.

Yes, it was a suite perk. We were in a GS on the Mariner last November and when I went to pay I was told it was a PERK OF BEING IN THE GS. They may have removed it as a perk after but it definitely was a perk that we were able to use.

Perhaps you need to point out to the purser's desk where you were and they would not have charged you, I don't know, but it was a perk for us.

We did ask and the answer was "it is not offered free". The purser said it was because of the airline baggage fees, which I don't believe is the reason.

We did ask and the answer was "it is not offered free". The purser said it was because of the airline baggage fees, which I don't believe is the reason.

With all the changes these days who knows why they do what they do and they don't need a reason anyway.

I believe it was something they wanted to try but it just didn't work for them.

Slowboat,

thanks for the info. I have heard that USAir now is participating, but then I get twice as many people tell me no..

My TA had to make 6 calls to RCCL & USAir before he got a correct answer. They have phone numbers we don't have access to, and he got a definite YES, it is available in San Juan.

As I stated earlier,

We were in a Grand Suite (1568), on the Mariner of the Seas August 10th. Sailing this year.

In our cabin was the information for the Valet service.

It stated a cost of 20 dollars per person.

When we went to the Main desk to get the tags and pay for the service (we took the memo, along with our flight information), the girl at the desk goes ". . . you are in a grand suite, you get the service for free. . . " She asked me how many suitcases, I said 4. Handed me four tags printed luggage airline tags and our airline boarding passes, and off we went.

I did ask about the charge, and she stated again, you are in a Grand suite you get the service for free.

I did get an itemized statement for the cruise at 4am. Sunday, that we left, it was not on there.

When we got home I checked our credit card statement for August, September, no extra fees.

The only thing she told us was that we had to leave the ship with the first group, this was fine by us, and we left about 7:15-7:20.

So, we did not pay.

Later

Luggage will get laid out with the rest of the luggage that is coming off the ship. You will claim their luggage and present yourself to Customs. Once cleared, you will proceed to a location outside Customs Hall and drop off you luggage with one of our staff members. Your luggage will then go directly to an in-bond truck to be transported to the airport.

Not sure where this information came from, but it is incorrect regarding Miami. We got off LOS last Saturday in Miami and DID NOT have to claim our bags. They were cleared without us present and transferred to the airport.

Not sure where this information came from, but it is incorrect regarding Miami. We got off LOS last Saturday in Miami and DID NOT have to claim our bags. They were cleared without us present and transferred to the airport.

Totally agree with this. We have used the luggage valet service in both San Juan and Miami. It's so easy in Miami, but even when we had to collect our bags in San Juan, the porter was helpful, friendly and helped us get a cab quickly.

Maybe because we had a luggage tag with our dog's picture on it...he talked about his dog the whole time! So sweet!:)

We came into Miami and did have to go through customs. It may depend on the itinerary you had.

Our airline was Airtran. It may be the criteria changes for each cruise or ship.

The information will be provided when you are on the ship towards the end of the cruise. The cabin attendant delivers the info with your compass. Make sure you read all the info you receive each night; it is always helpful. After you complete the form you have to turn it in to the customer service desk. The fee is charged to your Seapass card.

As I stated earlier,

We were in a Grand Suite (1568), on the Mariner of the Seas August 10th. Sailing this year.

In our cabin was the information for the Valet service.

It stated a cost of 20 dollars per person.

When we went to the Main desk to get the tags and pay for the service (we took the memo, along with our flight information), the girl at the desk goes ". . . you are in a grand suite, you get the service for free. . . " She asked me how many suitcases, I said 4. Handed me four tags printed luggage airline tags and our airline boarding passes, and off we went.

I did ask about the charge, and she stated again, you are in a Grand suite you get the service for free.

I did get an itemized statement for the cruise at 4am. Sunday, that we left, it was not on there.

When we got home I checked our credit card statement for August, September, no extra fees.

The only thing she told us was that we had to leave the ship with the first group, this was fine by us, and we left about 7:15-7:20.

So, we did not pay.

Later

Well, it looks like things have changed since your sailing of August 10th. We sailed September 21st in an owner's suite and were told we had to pay and were charged accordingly.

When we used it in Puerto Rico, we had to take our luggage thru customs, then passed it over to Continental right outside the main luggage retrieval area. We used a porter as our DD had dive gear etc., (very heavy) and it was so much easier to do it that way. As soon as we told him we had valet he said no problem, and the customs didn't even stop him he just walked straight thru and they dropped our declaration in a bin.:)

[quote name='Slowboat2']I do believe USair in now doing the luggage valet in San Juan, Just went through this with TA and RCCL.[/quote]

When we did our cruise out of San Juan this past March, the participating airlines (according to the Serenade's compass were----American Airlines, Delta, Continental, United Airlines, Northwest Airlines, USAir and Jetblue)...however, since we were Canadian but had flown out of Detroit, we were not allowed to use this service...some bs story at the desk, so I didn't pursue it further....but it sounds like a great idea...if you are the right nationality..

Archived