Luggage Question

Bill S

Our Avalon river cruise will involve a bus ride from Prague to Nuremburg to join the ship. I expect that the cruise documents will advise that luggage is limited to one full-size (checked bag) suitcase and a carry-on.

What happens if a person shows up with 2 checked-bag type suitcases?

Bill S - Do you mean two full size suitcases per person plus carry on?

Not sure how many clothes you plan to take but you can get by with one full size case per person. River cruises are laid back and you don't have to have a different outfit everyday. Not a fashion show. Two nights you might want to dress up - captain's night and the farewell dinner. Quite a few wore sport coats/ties or open shirts. Ladies usually dressed nice but not formal. Take less and enjoy more. Willard

Unless you've reserved a suite, you'll be cursing that extra luggage every time you stump your toes on it! The previous poster is right...you don't need all that extra stuff on a river cruise. Uniworld had a self-service laundry on board, so we were able to do a load of wash and make do with a lot less. Some of the busses used for transfers are really small (20 passengers for example) and if everyone brought double the limit, there would not be enough room for all the luggage. Really...you CAN do a two week river cruise with only one bag per person (plus carry-on).

Hi,

We do two week cruises with only one suitcase apiece that weighs 50 lbs. Unless you are traveling First or Business Class, you will be charged for extra weight. I understand some airlines are even charging for the second AND first suitcase if you aren't gold or platinum in their membership club. Just mix and match your clothes -- no one really cares that you wore the same outfit once before.

Sheila

I am a chronic overpacker. But after our two week cruise we were doing an additional week of touring and I knew that I needed to keep to one suitecase. I took black pants and different-colored tops. No one knew that I wore the same pants for multiple days. Keep it simple!!!

Thanks for all the replies and advice, and while I agree with all of you who have given your recommendations about traveling with only one suitcase, no one has addressed my question.

I should have been more clear in my original post: this is not about my luggage. DW and I will be OK with one suitcase each.

We are travelling with a group of 28 and there may be a few folks who are used to traveling with at least two suitcases. I am trying to prepare our group for the worst-case scenario if any one of them believes that the one-suitcase limit is only a "suggestion".

So, does anyone have any first-hand knowledge as to what happens if a passenger shows up at the bus with more than one suitcase?

THANKS!

I always travel with 1 carryon (no wheels)and 1 large suitcase also. Having taken several Globus coach tours I know that you are charged $1.00 extra per day for the extra suitcase and you have to carry it yourself and load it and unload it on the bus yourself.This is on the coach tours and is because of limited space on the bus and the contracts with the hotels for the porters.The contracts with the hotels for the porters who load and unload the suitcases and carry them to your rooms and pick them up and carry them back to the bus in the mornings is for 1 suitcase per person.. Globus always uses their own busses and they are very large.The suitcases are stored under the bus. Your cruise documents will say that "portage for one suitcase is included. This single bag should not exceede 50 lbs and dimensions of 30x21x11in" That quote is taken directly from my Avalon Cruise documents for our Magnificent Europe cruise last year. I guess there will always be people who think the rules don't apply to them.:) :) If your travel companions don't mind paying the airline extra,lugging the suitcase around themselves and tripping over it in the cabin than I doubt if Globus would leave the extra bag sitting on the curb.:eek: If they still have questions tell them to call Globus themselves.

Hi Bill,

When I travel with my Mom, she seems to have that packing disease that doesn't allow anything less than 2 checked bags. When we were on GCT before, it was not an issue at all. She makes sure that one bag will always fit into the other so they both can still be stored under the bed. She also tipped extra any time bags had to be moved. While it is harder to travel in the winter months with all the bulky stuff, it can still be done. I put a huge challenge to her this year, so we will see if she come thru or not with just one bag, but I'm not holding my breath! :rolleyes:

Archived