Advice wanted by First Timer on Princess (Tahitian from Africa to Asia via India)

travelmagnet

I am a senior and throughout my life I have lived and traveled all over the world as an independent traveler. In the last 18 months I have taken four NCL cruises. I didn't think I'd like big ship cruising, but during the first one (Western Caribbean) I was hooked. The second one was awesome (Greek Isles, etc.). Then I took two this past July, Norwegian Fjords (among the most beautiful scenery anywhere) and Baltic Capitals. Though the 2008 ports were great, I realized I will never travel again, if I can help it, when schools are out and undisciplined kids 12 and under disrupt the onboard atmosphere as they did on the last cruise. In fact, I was so disappointed that when I got back I cancelled an upcoming NCL winter cruise in South America. However, I did like the casual atmosphere on NCL, and FreeStyle allowed me to happily not have to get dressed up in more than slacks and a collared shirt, and then only for the specialty restaurants. Most of the time I ate in the buffet in shorts. Also, I almost never took ship organized shore excursions, but made my own land arrangements in each port.

Now I am considering a 32 day cruise on the Tahitian Princess in October of 2009. I figure at this time and on this type of cruise there will be fewer younger kids, and the total number of passengers looks to be about a fourth of what I experienced on my NCL cruises. However, after my recent experience and never having been on a Princess ship before, I am wondering:

-- how the Tahitian might compare with NCL ships,

--how dressy it is for the Anytime Dining,

--if the lines and waiting are usually long for Anytime Dining,

--if there are undiscovered places onboard to get away a bit from large crowds other than one's cabin,

--if 32 days is too long a time, and also

-- if anyone has taken this itinerary or something similar before?

I would also like help picking a cabin. I've done a mini-suite once but found it too noisy on that level right under the gym and outdoor areas. The other times I did the equivalent of a BA or BB (balcony) on the next deck below the mini-suites, which gives a buffer from the outdoor area above and the theaters and restaurants below. So, I would be interested in a cabin on Deck 7. I did note that there are BA fore and aft cabins, 7001, 7002, 7116, 7121. Has anyone stayed in one of these or something similar before? Is it too windy in the fore cabins and too noisy from the engines in the aft cabins? If I should select a BB cabin, does anyone have any suggestions as to which might be best, and if I should opt for port or starboard?

Anything else?

Thanks in advance for all helpful comments and suggestions.

travelmagnet

Uniworld Tolstoy 16 day Russian River St. Pete to Moscow- July 2002

Captain Cook Reef Endeavour 5 day Great Barrier Reef- July 2004

NCL Norwegian Sun 7 day Western Caribbean- February 2007

NCL Norwegian Jewel 12 day Egypt and Greek Isles- September 2007

NCL Norwegian Jade 12 day Norwegian Fjords July 2008

NCL Norwegian Jewel 12 day Baltic Captials- July 2008

Sailed on the Tahitian Princess December 2007, 10 days Papeete. It is a fantastic ship and we loved the size.

Now, how does it compare to NCL, IMHO, NCL is a rowboat. Did 2 and never plan to set foot on them again.

However, the Tahitian Princess does not have anytime dining, only traditional.

First of all, welcome. My wife and I are booked on the Tahitian Princess cruise you are considering.

The Tahitian is smaller than most (all?) NCL ships. She holds about 670 passengers. This ship only has one main dining room. It has two seatings per evening. One at 5:45pm and one at 8pm. There is no Anytime Dining.

I don't know if you have been to the Roll Call section, but here is the link for this cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=761363

As noted, Anytime Dining is not available on the Tahitian Princess.

Princess generally is more formal in dress than NCL, which seems not to have a dress code.

Those forward cabins are subject to anchor noise, thruster noise and vibration.

I don't think 32 days is too long. We did 25 nights on one of her sister ships, Oceania's Nautica, Istanbul to Singapore via the Suez, 11-06.

We are also booked on this cruise, and have sailed on the Tahitian this past summer for 14 days, and on her sistership, the Royal last Nov/Dec for 24 days.

Love the ship, love the size, and know that there will be many great people on board, because many of them were with us on the Royal last year.

Hope to see you on board....

The forward facing cabins are windy when underway, especially if the ship is heading into the wind. We have had BC cabins both times, and are booked in one again. Very happy with those.

Thanks to all who responded.

I was sorry to hear there is no Anytime Dining on this ship. However, is there an option of a large buffet set up for lunch and dinner? More than two specialty restaurants? Room service?

travelmagnet

Yes, there is the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner...and mid-day snacks....24 hour room service, and the two specialty restaurants that operate on opposite days......and an outdoor grill for burgers, etc. For a small ship, she has lots of dining options.

, is there an option of a large buffet set up for lunch and dinner? More than two specialty restaurants? Room service?

travelmagnet

I wouldn't actually call it a 'large' buffet, definitely a much smaller scale on these ships.

And remember, room service (unless you are booked in a full suite) is very limited to mostly lunch/light meal items such as sandwiches and salads. You can't order dining room foods delivered by room service anymore on Princess unless you are booked in a full suite.

Archived