Captain's cocktail party?

littlegirlbigmouth

The Captain's cocktail party is usually the first formal night. It is held in the atrium usually starting a half hour or so before early seating dinner. The captain and other cruise staff will be introduced during this time and you're welcomed aboard officially. There will be tons of people and it is far from an intimate gathering. However, it is a chance to see and be seen. After 15 cruises, we usually skip it.

That being said, I would be surprised if Princess would let you have a cocktail party during that time as most of the staff will be tied up with the party. However, I do recall when DH and I did our renewal of vows on the Coral Princess it was held on the first formal night -- is that possibly when you're getting married on the ship?

If you're wanting to get pictures with everyone all dressed up, this may be a good night for you. It is hard to tell without knowing the ship and itinerary whether the Princess staff will be available to do what you want.

Hope this has given you a better idea and hasn't just confused you.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Agree with Cindep.

Your guests may also want to enjoy the Captain's Welcome Party. In the past, there used be two parties -- one for early Diners and one for late Diners. Now there is only one party and one set of Introductions.

I assume that you are not having the Ceremony on-board. If you are, remember the Captain is the one who performs the Ceremony and he is busy with the Welcome Cocktail party.

If you have many guests, you may inquire about having the Cocktail Party in Skywalkers. That way guests are not under pressure to disperse quickly.

Has anyone been to this? Is it fun? Worth going to?

My husband to be and I want to have our wedding cocktail party that night. Should we consider moving it to a different night?

On the CB the Captain's Welcome Aboard gala is held in the atrium on the first formal.

Past Passenger Party is held on the second formal in the Club Fushion.

What time were you thinking on having your Wedding Cocktail Party?

Have you arranged the time with the coordinator? If so, you might want to give her a call and ask.

She might be able to help you out with this.

Congratulations and Best Wishes!

Hi everyone! Thanks for your responses.

We wanted to have our party from 4:30 to 6:30, and the captain won't be performing our ceremony as this will not be our legal marriage, but our symbolic religious ceremony. But we do understand that the captain has 2 additional weddings that day.

If any of you know, what time is the captain's party usually at?

The drink runner, sorry-waiter, will offer a tray with several foo-foo drinks, After a sales pitch, sorry again-speech by the captain, there is a drawing for a shot at some cruise ship champagne.

Since there is no chrome around the house that needs cleaning, I have no use for the carbonated vinegar they give away in wine bottles.

That being said, if you are dressing for dinner anyway and have nothing else to do, might as well rub elbows with the other pax who packed the dress-up duds. Now for the little secret. Even though the drink runner has a tray loaded with that silly punch their trying to push on you, you can order any drink you could normally get at that bar servicing the area. The two times we have gone, it has been held at the Vista Lounge. As I recall, top shelf liquor is not sold at this particular bar. .

The drink runner, sorry-waiter, will offer a tray with several foo-foo drinks, After a sales pitch, sorry again-speech by the captain, there is a drawing for a shot at some cruise ship champagne.

Since there is no chrome around the house that needs cleaning, I have no use for the carbonated vinegar they give away in wine bottles.

That being said, if you are dressing for dinner anyway and have nothing else to do, might as well rub elbows with the other pax who packed the dress-up duds. Now for the little secret. Even though the drink runner has a tray loaded with that silly punch their trying to push on you, you can order any drink you could normally get at that bar servicing the area. The two times we have gone, it has been held at the Vista Lounge. As I recall, top shelf liquor is not sold at this particular bar. .

Are you sure you're not referring to the Captain Circle's party (for the past passengers)? that's the one held in a lounge. And has the sales pitch.

The Captain's Welcoming Party is usually held in the grand atrium or a much bigger area.

both have watered down drinks. We've skipped the Welcoming Party for several cruises now.

Clarify. I know the foo drinks they pass out during the Captain's Party are free but do you mean that you can also order drinks from the bar for free in that area during the party or am I just wishing? Or were you simply stating you have the option of not drinking the free drinks and ordering for yourself for the normal charge?

Clarify. I know the foo drinks they pass out during the Captain's Party are free but do you mean that you can also order drinks from the bar for free in that area during the party or am I just wishing? Or were you simply stating you have the option of not drinking the free drinks and ordering for yourself for the normal charge?

I always ask for a glass of wine because the roving waiters don't usually have wine on their trays. They bring the house red or white - can't ask for a specific type of wine. I don't think you'd be able to get a free Margarita, but you could probably get (cheap) Scotch & soda, (cheap) gin & tonic, etc.

Bottoms up!

Chris

I always ask for a glass of wine because the roving waiters don't usually have wine on their trays. They bring the house red or white - can't ask for a specific type of wine. I don't think you'd be able to get a free Margarita, but you could probably get (cheap) Scotch & soda, (cheap) gin & tonic, etc.

Bottoms up!

Chris

Got Bloody Marys on the Crown this summer.

Bottoms up!

Chris

Got Bloody Marys on the Crown this past summer.

My friend got a Southern Comfort Manhattan and I got a Cosmopolitan right from the bar without a charge on the Emerald last month. And they were not watered down. It can be done as we have done it several times on Princess.

Bottoms up!

Chris

Agree.. We usually ask for a glass of red wine..

My friend got a Southern Comfort Manhattan and I got a Cosmopolitan right from the bar without a charge on the Emerald last month. And they were not watered down. It can be done as we have done it several times on Princess.

Maybe at the Captains Circle party, but not the Captains Party where the staff is introduced..

Maybe at the Captains Circle party, but not the Captains Party where the staff is introduced..

I think you're right about this, Larry. I've never seen anyone at the Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party get a made-to-order cocktail unless they've paid for it.

I asked for bubbly at a Captain's Circle Party on one cruise and the waiter brought a split for me while DH had something different.

Cheers!

Chris

I think you're right about this, Larry. I've never seen anyone at the Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party get a made-to-order cocktail unless they've paid for it.

I asked for bubbly at a Captain's Circle Party on one cruise and the waiter brought a split for me while DH had something different.

Cheers!

Chris

I don't know about cocktails, but my mom and I got white wines from the nearby bar at the Welcome party -- no charge.

I don't know about cocktails, but my mom and I got white wines from the nearby bar at the Welcome party -- no charge.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that DH and I usually ask the roving waiters for wine, and they always bring it to us. We've also seen passengers request simple mixed drinks like Scotch & soda or Gin & tonic, and they, too, have been accommodated.

Chris

On the Golden, at the Cocktail parties, the drinks were decidedly not watered down. They were very strong, actually. And better than what we had gotten at any of the Lido deck bars...

Since the party was held in the Atrium, a lot of the drinks were from the Lobby bar, which always served great booze.

Most of the fru fru drinks are on ice, and after walking around the atrium for a few minutes, there is some meltage, of course... but if you grab a waiter as he's just coming away from the bar with a fresh tray, it's all good.

We have been on a number of Princess cruises, and one thing has been consistent for the Captain's welcome aboard. There is no discernable liquor in any of the drinks I have been offered. One has to ask, why do they bother? I will have to try ordering something not on the tray next time. And yes, they do seem to be more generous at the Captain's Circle get togethers.

Mike

Archived