HAL launches 'Explorations Teams'; covers 'niche interests'

jleq

Very Very interesting article!!

How would they do the "Lanai staterooms" on Lower Promenade?? We were just in a stateroom on LP on Veendam & there was barely room for the bed, let alone a sliding door to LP deck. We had to walk past only 2 cabins to reach door to outside.

and will there be a charge for each event planned as there is for the culinary classes?

The classes are only with fee if you do the 1 on 1 which is a group of I believe 12. The Party Planner also does the demo shows which are usually standing room only... and free.

If they start charging to sit in I imagine the Explorations Cafe and talk about a book they've lost their mind. If you didn't get the book ahead of time, I could see them maybe charging for copies of the book that they had on hand, but you would do that in a bookstore too.

The lecturers have never had a charge, I can't see that starting anytime soon.

The dancing, even if they did would be a bargain. In a suburb 40 miles north of Seattle, here's what Arthur Murray (the ONLY dance studio I can instantly think of by name) charges $60.00 for:

2 30-Minute Private Lessons

1 40-Minute Semi-Private Group Class

1 Complimentary Dance Program Consultation

Granted, you're unlikely to get much private time... but you're also not paying so not a bad deal there.

Those Microsoft classes are 100% free, have been mentioned as such in recent Press Releases and I've heard from friends are absolutely FANTASTIC!

Those staterooms on the LP deck are going to be placed where the current offices of the Hotel Manager, Bar Manager, and Culinary Manager sit.

The techspert classes by Microsoft (not to be confused with the internet classes on some ships that are run by the Internet Manager) will be absolutely free.

It seems all my compadres will all soon be known as "formercruisestaff" because the position is now extinct. Event staff are now being called librarians, so the options for future contracts are changing for us - it's either librarian, club hal, party planner, or dj.

Things should be interesting!

Those staterooms on the LP deck are going to be placed where the current offices of the Hotel Manager, Bar Manager, and Culinary Manager sit.

A-ha! That makes it clearer, in my mind anyway. I couldn't picture how HAL was going to refigure the outside cabins on LP. They aren't! It's a new set-up!

Friends, you haven't seen or heard one of the party planners. The one I saw on the Eurodam was awful. She couldn't cook and her suggestions were those of a 10 year old child. Do you remember how to set a table? Well, that was a topic. What about folding napkins!!! WOW!!

Of course, the new kitchen is actually a bar and the chairs are folding chairs so that might have set me off.

Sorry for my little rant!

It seems all my compadres will all soon be known as "formercruisestaff" because the position is now extinct. Event staff are now being called librarians, so the options for future contracts are changing for us - it's either librarian, club hal, party planner, or dj.

In 1991 on the (former) Westerdam, the entertainment staff ran all the activities. Even the daily walk (for which you could collect a stamp in your "Passport to Fitness") was run by the entertainment staff. We really liked that and were sad to see it changed when we started cruising again in 2001 after a long hiatus.

Some changes are good. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Robin

I'm with josephone. This program sounds like what we had on the E'dam (minus the dance/book club stuff). We kept asking 'Where is the cruise staff??'. I guess they were too busy with the little 'niches' to be seen. We went to one demonstration in the "display kitchen". It was advertised as how to make the PG chocolate volcano cake. Nope, it was just how to make part of a completely different dessert. I didn't bother to bring the recipe home. I couldn't see asking guests if they want part of a dessert.

The seating was WAY too far away to see anything - even with the large monitors. The kitchen/movie theater on the R & S ships is SOOO much better for the audience.

We went to a computer class on picture editing. It was very, VERY basic and to top it off, the seats were extremely limited and uncomfortable. For us, it was another room where the design was 'form over function'.

Anyway, from what we experienced of this 'new feature' on the E'dam, we weren't at all impressed. All I can say is that I sure hope it improves, there is no where to go but up. :rolleyes:

Archived