Can't copy portraits taken on ship?

honkanen

How does the whole copyright thing work with the portraits we had taken on our Carnival Cruise a couple weeks ago? Do we need to get Carnival's permission for a photo lab to copy the picture? How have you guys done this?

How would anyone know if it's a copyrighted picture? I've never seen any markings the say otherwise.

Basically, all pictures are copyrighted. A person who takes a picture owns copyright immediately. There is no paperwork required and it is not required to be noted on the picture. For more info, see the US Copyright office website.

Any photo lab will take one look at the [hotos and know they were done by a professional photographer, and refus to copy without a release. Some people scan them and reprint, or send to friends. They tell you that they won't scan, there will be a copyright overprint, but I have never found that to be so. But I only have the candids, have never done portraits. I understand it is particularly wedding pictures that won't scan. I have scanned mine into Kodak EasyShare, sent them to Kodak Gallery and had reprints sent to me, but only the candids, and I only use them in my memory book. EM

Having been through two house fires and, thus, losing all of my precious memories, I now scan ALL of my photos, including cruise photos. I have never had anything show up on them like a watermark or anything. I don't give them to anyone, but just store them in my online galleries so that I have them should some other disaster befall.

I just got back from Alaska on NCL and I bought my copyright while on the cruise. You had to buy the picture or pictures and then each picture was $20 for the copyright. I received a disk and had to ask for the copyright release. I know without the paperwork no one will print them. I took mine to Wal-mart and they copied them for me without any problem just put my copyright on file. Maybe you can contact your cruise line for more info.

I take the full 8x10 picture I bought, with a couple of pieces of Scotch tape folded over itself and placed on the back of the picture, go out to my driveway and place the picture on the rear window of my car in direct sunlight. I then take my Canon XTI and just slightly offcenter take a Portrait, (camera vertical not horizantal) picture, plus a little more for the edges as the APS sensor is less than full frame, of the picture. I then input the picture into Photoshop and print all the copies I need. There is no floating watermark on any of those pictures. It should be noted that on every Cruise I have been on, regardless of ship line, the pictures were taken by Nikon cameras, that provide adequate but not Exceptional pictures when printed on the ship. Soap box off.

I just got back from Alaska on NCL and I bought my copyright while on the cruise. You had to buy the picture or pictures and then each picture was $20 for the copyright. Huh? I never had to pay a cent for this. Emailed them and got the form online. Free. I received a disk and had to ask for the copyright release. I know without the paperwork no one will print them. Not true in my experience. Depends on where you take it. Many places you can scan it yourself, and no one asks anything. I took mine to Wal-mart and they copied them for me without any problem just put my copyright on file. Maybe you can contact your cruise line for more info.

:);)

I scanned our RCI photos at home and used them in my photobook by MyPublisher with no problem and no watermark. Each picture had a tiny UPC in one corner and the copyright in the other. I presume it's all done through the computer program and not by human hands so no questions are raised.

If a watermark should appear on a scan, place black construction paper on the back of the photo and scan again. Carnival's older paper would bleed the watermark through from the back when against a white scanner back. the black paper made it 'invisible'. don't seem to have an issue with the newer photos.

If a watermark should appear on a scan, place black construction paper on the back of the photo and scan again. Carnival's older paper would bleed the watermark through from the back when against a white scanner back. the black paper made it 'invisible'. don't seem to have an issue with the newer photos.

Great idea, thanks.

Archived