Compass Rewards Program Ends

Host Kewlguy

With many airlines now increasing the number of frequent flyer miles to qualify for free flights, this info does not surprise me. It does upset me as DH & I have truly enjoyed the benefits from our Compass Rewards program.

Won't stop us from cruising on NCL because we like the product but it may make us rethink our credit card purchases in the future since DH & I each have our own BOA NCL cards at this point.

Dianne

This is extemely disappointing news and very frustrating. The only reason we have this card was for the Compass Reward Program. I will wait for my letter but I more than likely will cancel. :( :mad:

I agree.. We're looking into a 5% cash back program through American Express. Spend $6500/year and get 5% cash back. If anyone else has a good credit card with a consistent high cash back program, please advise.

I agree.. We're looking into a 5% cash back program through American Express. Spend $6500/year and get 5% cash back. If anyone else has a good credit card with a consistent high cash back program, please advise.

That is the card we are going to also. As far as our research, the "blue" card has the best return rate. If there is something better.....Please let us know.

I have to agree the Compass Rewards program was a major factor in our cruise choices. We'll still cruise with NCL. Just maybe not as often.

I think many of us won't be cruising as often during this economy crunch.

DH & I like NCL's product and truly enjoy the freestyle experience. We are in our '60s and love the freedom in choices NCL offers us for dining options on various itineraries.

About 3 years ago we tried our first Carnival cruise and discovered we actually like Carnival as well - specially the piano bars.

For the past 3 years we've spent most of our cruises on NCL and Carnival. Carnival offers us military discount rates that are hard to beat at times.

Have cruised Celebrity, RCCL and Princess as well but rarely cruise those lines due to prices. Has nothing to do with perks. The perks are great, but the pricing of the cruises are out of our price range since we enjoy cruising 3 to 4 times a year.

Just treading water here to see what this new NCL card will do, but think we will keep at least one of our CC cards with NCL.

Who knows what the future will bring?!

Dianne

I have to agree the Compass Rewards program was a major factor in our cruise choices. We'll still cruise with NCL. Just maybe not as often.

Hey Kewlguy nice to catch up with you on the boards. Shame the that program is ending. I'm a bit over to get my $500 certificate so I guess i'll do that in November before it expires etc. Thanks for posting this and keeping us informed.

If that's correct, it's way better than the NCL program.

Here's a link.. see what you think.

http://www.credit-cards-resource.com/american-express/blue-cash/

I called American Express, and the way it works is, the first $6,500 in purchases earns 1% cash back. At $6,500.01 on, the cash back increases to 5%. Still a good deal. You can get a credit line of up to $100,000 depending on your credit.

Hey Kewlguy nice to catch up with you on the boards. Shame the that program is ending. I'm a bit over to get my $500 certificate so I guess i'll do that in November before it expires etc. Thanks for posting this and keeping us informed.

Hi Debbie. Good to see you again. Albeit under negative circumstances. :)

That's the way I read it as well, but I'll wait for someone more familiar to chime in. I might have to go back to an airline CC and plan on more land vacations :(.

On the bright side, I now know I'll be booking something in the next year or so to use of the final rewards!

What a way to have my morning ruined :( . Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like this program earns 1% instead of the 3% for non-NCL charges/ 4% for NCL charges that the old program did. So, in order to be able to redeem points for cruise coupons, you'll now need 50,000 in points (earned on $50,000 in purchases) to get a $500 certificate. On the old NCL plan, you would have had to charge $16,667 to get that same reward.

The only possible advantage I can see is that you can use the points for multiple cruise lines, as well as other travel rewards, like airline tickets, gift cards, cash, etc.

BTW, I forgot to mention this letter is co-signed by R Scott Rogers, Senior Vice President, Marketing and Sales, Norwegian Cruise Lines and Robin C. Siczek, Senior Vice President, Card Services, Bank of America.

What strikes me as funny is that several people on here have mentioned that they got notices this week that they're credit line was increased. It sounds like they were trying to keep people from canceling because they knew this was coming. Gotta love corporate thinking! :rolleyes:

I've got the same question. I am currently juggling two cards, and I can probably get the older one up to $500, but I don't plan on spending enough to get the 2nd one to the 500 point limit.

From the Compass Rewards Terms and Conditions:

"Stateroom upgrades: (a) A one-category upgrade for first person in cabin: 100 points. Value of reward not to exceed $100; (b) A one-category upgrade for first and second person in cabin: 200 points. Value of reward not to exceed $200; © A two-category upgrade for second person in cabin: 300 points. Value of reward not to exceed $300; and (d) A two-category upgrade for first and second persons in cabin: 400 points. Value of reward not to exceed $400. Cruise discounts: (a) $500 discount: 500 Points; (b) $1,000 discount: 1,000 points; © $1,500 discount: 1,500 points; (d) $2,000 discount: 2,000 points; (e) $2,500 discount: 2,500 points; and (f) $3,000 discount: 3,000 points. Upgrade and discount rewards may be used for any eligible NCL, Orient, or Star Cruise arrangements."

So if you can get your card(s) to about an even factor of 100 points, but less than 500 you could get something for those points.

Time to search for a new card company. World Points requires you to earn 50,000 points to get a $500 cruise reward:

https://wwwa.managerewardsonline.bankofamerica.com/RMSapp/Ctl/link?eid=D14BCCDF

(look at the right column: How far will your points take you? 25,000 = $250 off the cruise of your choice )

I called American Express, and the way it works is, the first $6,500 in purchases earns 1% cash back. At $6,500.01 on, the cash back increases to 5%. Still a good deal. You can get a credit line of up to $100,000 depending on your credit.

That looks like a really good option! Thanks for the link ... $6500 is easily do-able and after that it's 5% return ... WOW! Thing is ... we've never had an AmEx ... is it as widely acceptable as a MasterCard?

This card is not as good as it looks; 5% is for only certain "Everyday Purchases" all others are 1.5%. Looks like Target, Best Buy, Amazon etc. would not be eligible for the 5%.

Terms and Conditions:

Your Rebate is awarded annually for each Rebate Year (12 consecutive billing periods). Rebate percentages for each Rebate Year are as follows:

Year to Date Purchases / Cash Back on Everyday Purchases* / Cash Back on All Other Purchases

$0 - $6,500 / 1.0% / 0.5%

$6,500.01 or more / 5.0% / 1.5%

*"Everyday Purchases" are Eligible Purchases made at U.S. supermarkets, gas stations and drugstores, in each case that are not departments of superstores or warehouse clubs. "Eligible Purchases" are charges to your account for goods or services that have not been returned or otherwise credited to your account. Eligible Purchases do not include Finance Charges, fees, Cash Advances or other means of accessing your account, convenience checks, Balance Transfers, or the purchase of American Express® Travelers Cheques and American Express® Gift Cheques or other cash equivalents. Additional terms and conditions apply.

Sounds like we were asking the same questions at the same time. I also agree with you on everything else ... PLUS ... now I will cancel all the cards but one (since there is no cap on points earned during a certain time period) ...

Don't cancel the cards per se, just have all the credit lines rolled together into 1. Never give up credit if you don't have to.

This card is not as good as it looks; 5% is for only certain "Everyday Purchases" all others are 1.5%. Looks like Target, Best Buy, Amazon etc. would not be eligible for the 5%.

Terms and Conditions:

Your Rebate is awarded annually for each Rebate Year (12 consecutive billing periods). Rebate percentages for each Rebate Year are as follows:

Year to Date Purchases / Cash Back on Everyday Purchases* / Cash Back on All Other Purchases

$0 - $6,500 / 1.0% / 0.5%

$6,500.01 or more / 5.0% / 1.5%

*"Everyday Purchases" are Eligible Purchases made at U.S. supermarkets, gas stations and drugstores, in each case that are not departments of superstores or warehouse clubs. "Eligible Purchases" are charges to your account for goods or services that have not been returned or otherwise credited to your account. Eligible Purchases do not include Finance Charges, fees, Cash Advances or other means of accessing your account, convenience checks, Balance Transfers, or the purchase of American Express® Travelers Cheques and American Express® Gift Cheques or other cash equivalents. Additional terms and conditions apply.

Good point, Preds. That's why the hunt for a consistent cash back program must continue!

The Amex card is not as widely accepted as Visa/MC.

From what I'm reading it seems you have until January 31, 2009 to cash in your coupons. But charges after December 31, 2008 will no longer count towards your Compass Rewards total.

My next cruise is feb 2010, will I be able to use rewards that i send in from Jan 09. It's more than a year out

My next cruise is feb 2010, will I be able to use rewards that i send in from Jan 09. It's more than a year out

The way I see it, since the original program said your certificate expired in one year, they're going to stick to that. Just because your cruise is after the year expiration date, doesn't mean you can't make payments on your cruise within that year with your certificate(s). Would that be a right assumption folks?

The way I see it, since the original program said your certificate expired in one year, they're going to stick to that. Just because your cruise is after the year expiration date, doesn't mean you can't make payments on your cruise within that year with your certificate(s). Would that be a right assumption folks?

Sounds logical to me.

But the 5% is only on certain purchases. Most purchases will only be from 1/2% to 1 1/2%.

My last $500 coupon said it was good for a sailing to TAKE PLACE within one year of recieving the coupon. :o That, in fact, is why we had to find a cruise to spend the coupon on ... and are going to BERMUDA ... woo hooo!

Okay ... the quest continues for a credit card with decent bennies ... maybe they don't exist anymore???

Archived