pregnant -foods to avoid while cruising

bokicat

Are there any cruise specific foods I should avoid while pregnant? I know cold cuts and soft cheeses are off limits. what about caviar?

I would think your doctor is the best person to ask about this.

Happy Cruising!

Are there any cruise specific foods I should avoid while pregnant? I know cold cuts and soft cheeses are off limits. what about caviar?

I was a nurse in the Air Force (got out a couple of years ago), I second AFamily suggestion. You need to talk to your physician regarding this question.

I agree too. Definitely talk to your doctor. You have no way of knowing where cruise ships get their food from. Short of that, my suggestions would be: eat very little if any seafood. You have no idea where they get their seafood from and whether or not it might be contaminated with PCB or mercury or other. I don't think a pregnant women should ever eat any sort of raw meat, and that includes caviar. Also, if you eat a lot of fruit, wash it even if it says it's washed already. The growers they buy from could use a lot of pesticides that might not even be US FDA approved. Also, when pregnant it is quite important to make sure your food is well cooked. Don't eat any meat less than at least medium-well I would guess. Lastly, I assume you are likely aware of it, but since cruising goes hand in hand with alcohol consumption for most people, DON'T DRINK ANY. There is no known safe amount of alcohol for a developing fetus. The March of Dimes (the doctors that study birth defects) is emphatic about not drinking any alcohol during pregnancy. Birth defects caused by fetal alcohol syndrome (when the mom drinks while pregnant) are very common and competely avoidable if the mom just doesn't drink. I doubt you would have, but just incase. I of course, am not a doctor. Talk to your doctor before you cruise.

Thanks for the insight!! :) I'm definitely going to ask my doctor about this at my next appointment!

I appreciate your feedback!! Sometimes I feel like other expectant mothers who have "been there, done that", know more than the doctors do.

Hi I was a midwife until recently, I agree too you about talking to your dr about the most up to date advice. However I would just add one or two that are often overlooked and may be relevant on a cruise; one is soft whip ice cream from the machines (same as McFlurrys), there is a risk of listeriosis as the ice cream is not as cold as the hard frozen type and the listeria can survive in it, also the machines are very difficult to clean properly. Another is undercooked or raw eggs in any form due to risk of salmonella, so some sauces and mousses, mayonnaise unless it's from a jar. Have a lovely time :)

I find that cruise food is so heavily salted that I can easily put on 5 pounds of water weight in a matter of days. My shoes stop fitting and my fingers swell, etc. (I am average height, average weight but my body hates salt!) Definitely drink tons of water to help eliminate. I know when I was pregnant, water retention was a huge issue.

And, as everyone else has said, talk to your Dr. Have a great cruise!!:)

This is new to me... why are cold cuts and soft cheeses 'off limits' to pregnant women? I enjoyed both while pregnant and have a very healthy, bright, and exceptionally tall and strong child. I agree with those that say to ask your doctor if you really think you need a list, but my personal opinion is that our bodies know what we need and what we don't when we're pregnant - which is why we develop 'cravings' and 'aversions'. I would be more concerned with ensuring that you consume the foods you need - like green leafies, milk or calcium rich foods, fruits and veggies, and proteins. :)

This is new to me... why are cold cuts and soft cheeses 'off limits' to pregnant women? I enjoyed both while pregnant and have a very healthy, bright, and exceptionally tall and strong child. I agree with those that say to ask your doctor if you really think you need a list, but my personal opinion is that our bodies know what we need and what we don't when we're pregnant - which is why we develop 'cravings' and 'aversions'. I would be more concerned with ensuring that you consume the foods you need - like green leafies, milk or calcium rich foods, fruits and veggies, and proteins. :)

I, too, am curious about the cold cuts and soft cheeses. With all the "don'ts" out there now that weren't out there when I was pregnant, it's amazing that my children are so exceptionally healthy!!

I also agree with you about your body letting you know what you need -- however, I craved hot dogs with my first pregnancy -- Yuck!! I can't imagine what my body was needing:eek:!

Not sure where the OP is from but I believe she could be referring to the recent listeriosis outbreaks in Ontario and Quebec, and who knows where else. Secondary, but what was my concern with all 3 of my pregnancies was the extremely high amount of sodium in these foods. Fresh proteins would be a better way to go....:)

I, too, am curious about the cold cuts and soft cheeses. With all the "don'ts" out there now that weren't out there when I was pregnant, it's amazing that my children are so exceptionally healthy!!

I also agree with you about your body letting you know what you need -- however, I craved hot dogs with my first pregnancy -- Yuck!! I can't imagine what my body was needing:eek:!

So funny... I have no idea why a body would 'crave' preservatives, but I also had a 'wierd' one... prepackaged popcorn shrimp. How strange is that? I don't think I ever bought a box before I was pregnant, and I'm certain I haven't since... but I think I ate at least a half dozen (by myself) around the 4-5 month mark. Other than that, I really didn't crave anything, but my mom was a home ec teacher and drilled the Canada Food Guide into me, so I was getting a nutritionally balanced diet. I guess what my body was craving was 'fun'? :p

Not sure where the OP is from but I believe she could be referring to the recent listeriosis outbreaks in Ontario and Quebec, and who knows where else. Secondary, but what was my concern with all 3 of my pregnancies was the extremely high amount of sodium in these foods. Fresh proteins would be a better way to go....:)

Oh, could be, I never even thought of that. We had it out here as well, but it was specific to a couple of brands, so they all got pulled and we were advised not to eat anything produced by those particular packagers. I don't recall it being linked to soft cheese here.

I completely agree with you about the sodium. Pre-packaged foods are really bad for it. Blood pressure can be a significant factor during pregnancy, also, so sodium levels are even more of a concern than usual. I also agree that fresh is always the best way to go - not only for proteins, but for everything else as well. :) (and not just when you're pregnant)

OMG pregnant women are nuts lately about the preservatives in cold cuts. My DIL was like a maniac about what she couldn't eat. Those of us with grown children should be amazed that they survived at all.

Ha ha ha I remember reading a joke one time about how you can tell whether a woman is on her first, second, or third baby... With the first one if they drop their soother, she picks it up, carries it to a sink, and washes it thoroughly with hot soapy water, then rinses it multiple times to ensure that there is no soap residue on it before giving it back to her baby. With the second, she grabs it and rinses it briefly under the faucet and shakes off the excess water then hands it back. With the third, she spits on it, wipes it off on her sleeve and shoves it back in the baby's mouth without even looking up. :p

All right, the deal with the lunch meat and soft cheeses has to do with the possibility of listeria. It is a bacteria that can sometimes be found in these foods if they are not handled properly. For normal healthy adults it can just cause minor flu like symptoms, but for pregnant women and children it can be a much more serious issue!

Archived