If you want 100 shares of Carnival stock

DqALEX

• 2 months later...
As of today you've made $550. Buy now!

This is a dangerous point to buy. $30 is a key resistance point. Look at a chart from Oct 08 to today, and you can see CCL bounce off that ceiling many times.

I own 100 shares, but I won't buy more until it breaks through $30 cleanly.

This is a dangerous point to buy. $30 is a key resistance point. Look at a chart from Oct 08 to today, and you can see CCL bounce off that ceiling many times.

I own 100 shares, but I won't buy more until it breaks through $30 cleanly.

Closed today (Friday) at $30.35. How high's clean?

When you look at the chart you can see how it hugs 29.99 in the middle of the day, but it then leaps out a whole $0.50, almost instantly.

That was bullish.

Personally I will watch it Monday, if it still looks strong over $30, then I will buy more.

I think you can see the struggle CCL is having here at the $30 mark. It actually opened below $30 today, and is having that tough time I talked about.

I would be happy to see CCL build a shelf here at 29-30... I wont buy more shares here... but don't listen to me, I am VERY conservative.

• 3 weeks later...

Just new at this but bought at $19.54 a while ago and just sold recently at $29.54. Was very happy. Now I need to buy back in before my next cruise but WHY would I buy now when it's over $30?

Love this site; please keep me posted on when it drops and wehn I should buy back in.

• 3 weeks later...
I thought I read somewhere that CCL was dropping the $100 OBC for it's shareholders next spring?

You might have read that somewhere - though I would tend to think it was someone's guess, rather than a real "leak" of corporate information. That rumor has surfaced every year here on CC since we purchased CCL stock, and thus far, no changes have come to pass. KEEPING FINGERS CROSSED w/regard to this all the time anyway! It's a GREAT perk, and I likely would not own the stock without it!!!

Tom

We will be enjoying the first Stockholder OBC in November on the Conquest. Then, we will have $50 OBC for our February Ecstacy cruise. And, hoping it stays in place for our September Legend cruise. Hey, we bought at $18.06 a share. I'm doing the happy dance!!!!!!!

0002014B.gif

You might have read that somewhere - though I would tend to think it was someone's guess, rather than a real "leak" of corporate information. That rumor has surfaced every year here on CC since we purchased CCL stock, and thus far, no changes have come to pass. KEEPING FINGERS CROSSED w/regard to this all the time anyway! It's a GREAT perk, and I likely would not own the stock without it!!!

Tom

Thank you for posting this Tom! I'm sure the question of whether to renew it is brought up every year, but nothing is decided until the meeting.

I bought stock just for the OBC and have no problem admitting that to all the wannabe stock advisers :p

Thankfully I bought low :cool: but I'm sure I won't be smart enough to sell high lol

It has been an amazing ride for those who purchased stock back when this thread was first started. Fortunately, for cc'ers who thought $32.74 (price of original post) was a great deal, ccl stock is back to that level and giving a tiny profit. However, Tuesday the 22nd is the next earnings conference call and I'm expecting big movement that day. Now if only I knew if that movement will be up or down.:D

It has been an amazing ride for those who purchased stock back when this thread was first started. Fortunately, for cc'ers who thought $32.74 (price of original post) was a great deal, ccl stock is back to that level and giving a tiny profit. However, Tuesday the 22nd is the next earnings conference call and I'm expecting big movement that day. Now if only I knew if that movement will be up or down.:D

I agree, it has been a nice move, but the whole market has been amazing in the last couple of months.

I bought my first 100 Jul 16 at $26.88 and I bought another 100 yesterday at $33. I think CCL will beat the estimates and guide upward. The early saver, even with the $500 non-refundable deposit has done well. I base that only on discussions here. Also Fuel prices have (for the most part) stayed under that magic $70 per barrel price.

Once it went through that huge resistance at $30, it looks really good to go up. I only wish they would bring back the dividend. BUT I guess I get my dividend when I sail.

I agree, it has been a nice move, but the whole market has been amazing in the last couple of months.

I bought my first 100 Jul 16 at $26.88 and I bought another 100 yesterday at $33. I think CCL will beat the estimates and guide upward. The early saver, even with the $500 non-refundable deposit has done well. I base that only on discussions here. Also Fuel prices have (for the most part) stayed under that magic $70 per barrel price.

Once it went through that huge resistance at $30, it looks really good to go up. I only wish they would bring back the dividend. BUT I guess I get my dividend when I sail.

We bought after CCL showed some recovery & stability near the bottom. However, as the stock has been so volatile, we have bought & sold additional shares with market swings while retaining the original 100 and have done ok.:)

I wish I could share your enthusiasm for Tues. but the spring conference call resulted in share prices dropping like a stone after the earnings release was favourably received by the market. It seemed the longer CCL talked, the more nervous they made investors.

We bought after CCL showed some recovery & stability near the bottom. However, as the stock has been so volatile, we have bought & sold additional shares with market swings while retaining the original 100 and have done ok.:)

I wish I could share your enthusiasm for Tues. but the spring conference call resulted in share prices dropping like a stone after the earnings release was favourably received by the market. It seemed the longer CCL talked, the more nervous they made investors.

Well Goldman agrees with you... Today they UPGRADED CCL to a SELL. Ya, I said Upgrade... it was a "SELL RIGHT NOW, DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT" rating before.

They had a price target of $22. Boy did they get that wrong... I juist don't think the analyst understands the cruise ship business. They are directly comparing it to hotel chains.

I might be wrong, but I don't think there are any huge internet forums discussing staying in different Marriotts.

Goldman link

Well Goldman agrees with you... Today they UPGRADED CCL to a SELL. Ya, I said Upgrade... it was a "SELL RIGHT NOW, DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT" rating before.

They had a price target of $22. Boy did they get that wrong... I juist don't think the analyst understands the cruise ship business. They are directly comparing it to hotel chains.

I might be wrong, but I don't think there are any huge internet forums discussing staying in different Marriotts.

Goldman link

I actually wish that Carnival had a presence hear on CC similar to Starwood at Flyertalk. Although I own a Starwood timeshare and am not a fan of their management of their various ts Homeowner's Associations, I must give them props for how they handle the flyertalk forums. They have 2 employees who post regularly and try to deal with the various issues that their loyal customers experience. If Carnival, or any cruiseline for that matter, took a similar approach, I am certain that the bashing of posters who post negative comments would seize here on cc.

I can't agree more though that the supposed experts have a lot to learn about this industry - but then so do I.:D

BTW although CCL has done nicely for us, RCL has absolutely rocked and I only regret that I didn't load up on their stock when we bought at $7.

Archived