Customs at Key West

TMS MT

We cruised on Enchantment in January and everybody had to go through customs before they got off in Key West. It took about an hour and a half, with people milling all over the place waiting to get off. We ended up with only about 4 hours in Key West because of this. Now we are cruising on Majesty and it too will stop in Key West. On Enchantment anybody with a shore excursion got off first, so I may want to consider doing an excursion just so we don't have to stand around for so long. Does anybody know if Majesty has people with shore excursions in Key West go through customs and get off the ship first?

The difference betwen Majesty and Enchantment in Key West is that Majesty does not sail away until around six PM, so you will not have to hurry so much to get off the ship. As I recall Enchanment sets sail about 1:30 or so...a very short port call indeed.

I forget how Enchanment manages their customs procedure because it has been awhile since we sailed on Enchantment to Key West, but with Majesty, we have never "stood around" for customs. People are called by floors or given a time by floors to show up. Hubby being impatient, insists on going to the appointed place as early as possible and then we leave the ship right after our Sea Passes are punched.

Majesty lets you leave once the card is punched. You do not have to wait for everyone to have their cards punched. Maybe Enchantment makes you wait for everyone which is too bad because your stay in Key West is much shorter.

Also, in answer to being allowed to leave first from Majesty based on shore excursions, I just don't recall that in the three times we have sailed to Key West on Majesty. Again, my guess would be that there is less urgency because Majesty stays much of the day. If you are concerned about getting off the ship fast, just line up as early as you can for the passport check and Sea Pass punch. They don't really check your room number, just your passport and SeaPass.

No one gets off the ship until everyone has cleared customs, including those on excursions. So booking an excursion will do you no good.

The Customs procedure is very quick and painless on Majesty. The inspectors do this every week and they have a good system. Also, like HeavySurf said, the Majesty is there until 6. Key West is 4x1.5 miles. You have plenty of time.

Archived