Economy And Cruising

Parrot Mom

How is the economy going to affect your booking cruises? Will you downsize to a lower grade cabin instead of a suite or wait for last minute bargains? Have already booked t/a for next November at excellent price, but would like tochange to another cruise line with better itinerary and the prices are double..

We've been discussing this on another thread and the consensus seems to be that cruising will be affected but the bigger impact will be from the insanely high airfares and all their add ons. I'm trying to figure out how families are going to afford to fly to Europe for Med cruises. Most aren't realizing that airlines are adding on fuel surcharges that can be as high as $500 per person, per flight. That's totally insane !!!!! And now, when you realize that many cruise lines have decided to keep their ships in the Med for longer periods of time, you really have to wonder. Just look at Celebrity. They've already changed their itineraries and have pulled their ships from Australia and New Zeland. I can see them retiring ships and shortening cruises.

Who knows what will be the plan for many would be travelers..

But In my most H.O. I see it as a winning situtation.. Those that can afford it,, or even those not too worried, will still cruise. Those that can't, won't.. But with the industry posting some very nice returns and earnings.

Not untill they actually start having empty beds will the price really drop drastically. again,, IMHO...

Hello,

There are a very significant number of Americans and Canadians who through good fortune, hard work, and such government programs as Social Security and Medicare, have the means to continue to go on cruises. Saving and investing have also been important in their lives and the fact that many were able to educate their children (California is probably the best example) when it was relatively affordable to do so.

The above group will continue to go on cruises. And the cruise industry will respond to high airfares by moving more ships to ports that are accessible, such as Celebrity's use of Baltimore and Charleston SC.

My DW and I will continue to go on cruises but after our cruise to South America in March of 2009, and to China in September of 2009, we will look for cruises closer to home.

Fred

How is the economy going to affect your booking cruises? Will you downsize to a lower grade cabin instead of a suite or wait for last minute bargains? Have already booked t/a for next November at excellent price, but would like tochange to another cruise line with better itinerary and the prices are double..

Even though the economy is the way it is I'm still cruising. I just book early to get the best prices and book with a group to get a lower deposit and room rate. I've always picked an inside cabin to save money. This time around I booked with a group and got a good deal on an ocenview room. I just look for discounts wherever I can get them.

Archived