Questions about going transatlantic?

Where have you been? This has been discussed at some length on the roll call board. Check it out.

Thanks for the response, unberwoob. I went back many pages and found information at posting #756. Newfoundland was the biggest attraction of this particular schedule for me as the place where my great-grandfather's family settled after emigrating from Ireland. I met family of my mother's and grandmother's generations on their visit to Massachusetts when I was very young and have always wanted to go there. I've been away from these boards far too long; thanks for the assistance.

FCC

I'll be on the Indy TA with Irene and Miles next month - thanks for the helpful weather information. This is going to be a bit of a packing challenge of a cruise.

Agreed about the challenge of packing. I also have been watching the huricane season and thought it might me letting up by now but looks like it is still going strong. Maybe by the time we cross on the Indy TA things will have calmed down.

Days are getting closer to out cruise and meeting everyone.

Irene & Miles

Thanks for the response, unberwoob. I went back many pages and found information at posting #756. Newfoundland was the biggest attraction of this particular schedule for me as the place where my great-grandfather's family settled after emigrating from Ireland. I met family of my mother's and grandmother's generations on their visit to Massachusetts when I was very young and have always wanted to go there. I've been away from these boards far too long; thanks for the assistance.

FCC

Why not sign up for the meet and mingle and join the roll call list. We would love to have you in the roll call board, which is quite active.

Dennis

We sailed this route in November last year on Narigator. Weather leaving Southampton (all one word btw) was pretty miserable in November (that's why we go to Florida). It gradually got warmer as we sailed south. We were very fortunate and had a very smooth crossing. We needed lightweight jackets in the first 2 ports and then in Madeira and the Canaries it was warm, about 65-75 F. I didn't take gloves and hats but had those type of jackets that have a removable fleece inside an outer shower proof jacket. We never needed both bits together.

From Lisbon all the way westwards was mostly sunny with one day a bit stormier. A wonderful trip. If you have a balcony it helps to be on the Port side heading west as the sun will be to the south of the ship.

Cinnamon

Hey buddy! What is up?

drop me a line sometime!

jc

We did the TA on Sept 9, Barcelona to Bayonne, N.J.We went to Ponta Delgada The seas were very calm. Weather was unbelievably magnificent. We did the 4 wheel jeep drive excursion in Ponta Delgada with the cruiseline. It fills up quickly so if you want to do it, book it and then you can always cancel. (24 hrs. before excursion). It was great. We had about 8 jeeps in a caravan and we saw it all.The jeeps held 6 -8 people. Being in a jeep we were able to go to places that buses couldn't get to. The guide was great. Would highly recommend this excursion. Feel free to ask me any questions. Lois

Although the literature, including single-sheet pages, on the 9/2/09 Jewel of the Seas west transatlantic include St John, Newfoundland, the itinerary printed for us on our 9/27/08 New England/Canadian Maritimes cruise omits this stop. Has any reader heard of a reason for this omission? Our questions to the C&A advisors on board were that "it was canceled."

St.John's was removed from the Jewel's 2009 Transatlantic itinerary some months ago - well before she sailed on this year's westbound TA. The reason given was that the change was necessary to effect fuel savings by allowing the ship to sail at lower speeds between Reykjavik, Iceland and Boston, MA. It was the subject of discussion for several weeks and some of those who were booked on this cruise subsequently cancelled. Many of us are still booked on this cruise because the rest of the itinerary (Le Havre, Cherbourg, Cobh, Belfast, and Reykjavik) is very much different from the TA itineraries we have sailed in the past. We stopped in St. John's while we were on last year's Celebrity Constellation transatlantic and this year's TA on Jewel of the Seas and while we really enjoyed both visits, we are not terribly disappointed that we won't be going there for a third time. Of course we really enjoy the days at sea on a TA and next year we will be at sea for five straight days. Check out our roll call and you will see that there is a large number of cruisers who are already signed up for this cruise and who are making plans for a pre-cruise stay in London etc.:)

St.John's was removed from the Jewel's 2009 Transatlantic itinerary some months ago - well before she sailed on this year's westbound TA. The reason given was that the change was necessary to effect fuel savings by allowing the ship to sail at lower speeds between Reykjavik, Iceland and Boston, MA. It was the subject of discussion for several weeks and some of those who were booked on this cruise subsequently cancelled. Many of us are still booked on this cruise because the rest of the itinerary (Le Havre, Cherbourg, Cobh, Belfast, and Reykjavik) is very much different from the TA itineraries we have sailed in the past. We stopped in St. John's while we were on last year's Celebrity Constellation transatlantic and this year's TA on Jewel of the Seas and while we really enjoyed both visits, we are not terribly disappointed that we won't be going there for a third time. Of course we really enjoy the days at sea on a TA and next year we will be at sea for five straight days. Check out our roll call and you will see that there is a large number of cruisers who are already signed up for this cruise and who are making plans for a pre-cruise stay in London etc.:)

Thanks, negc, for your input. We will be reconsidering our decision to forego the 9/2/09 TA.

FCC

Why not sign up for the meet and mingle and join the roll call list. We would love to have you in the roll call board, which is quite active.

Dennis

Great idea! and thanks for the suggestion. Our first M&M was on the 9/27/08 Jewel of the Seas New England/Canada cruise, and it was a good time. Although we didn't plunge into the mingling, it was fun to see friends reunite. Looking forward to many more M&Ms.

FCC (MaryAlice)

Thanks everyone who replied, there is really good advice there and now I'm really really looking forward to the trip :D It's my first time to the US and only our second cruise so there are bound to be a few other questions between now and then. :o

Thanks again :)

Claire x

Archived