Rio

ClaudiaF

Meow,

We had a representative at our hotel in Rio who was only to happy to send us off in a car to Stern's. It was our first encounter with this company and talk about hard sell!! The prices were too exhorbitant so after a cool drink we got them to take us back to the hotel. We ended up buying a couple of beautiful loose gems at the airport in Iguassu (Brazil) which have been valued here at home for so much more than what we paid for them and of course we paid so much less than what they were asking for similar gems at Sterns.

We have also encountered this same company in Manaus and again we used their transport to take us to the Resort Hotel where they have their business. Again the prices were ridiculous but we did enjoy the free drink and our time at the hotel.

Jennie

Jennie

hi all..does anyone recall the name of the guy from H Stern in Rio

for tours?

Claudia,

A couple of years ago we did a Celebrity cruise from Buenos Aires to Rio (for Carnaval) and back to BA. Onboard there were representatives from Sterns and 2 other companies (I no longer remember the names). They were very nice and not pushy at all - I guess they knew better. All these companies offered complimentary tours of Rio (of course, with a stop in their store) but we did not feel obligated at all to buy. In fact, my wife did buy some beautiful costume jewelry in the "basement", still some of her favorites, in one of the stores (not Sterns). The tours were with a driver and guide (a young woman student) and we went to places like the botanical garden and had lunch at Porcao in Botafogo (with view of Sugarloaf) as we had been to Rio several times before. We felt very safe with them and got a local point of view tour. I think it works better if you had been to Rio before and just want to go to some special places, rather than a comprehensive tour.

We were only too happy to tip the guide and treat them both to lunch - even then it was far less than a ship tour would have been; and we got to go were we wanted to go.

I would go to Sterns in Ipanema just to see the store with some Carnaval costumes, have lunch in the area (seafood or Porcao) and then have them take you back to the ship. You do not have to buy anything at all; they do have a souvenir shop at Sterns as well. You'll feel safe with them.

It is one of the most beautil cities in the world! Enjoy your trip.

PS.

I agree with Jennie that their jewelry is overpriced (probably, but I am certainly no expert). However, I am sure you would get good quality with a guarantee. To some who are not experts that may be worth something.

Paul

If the H. Stern boutiques in Brazil are like the one here, their prices are absurd. They feature a lot of quartz, which is one of the cheapest gemstone families. Also, beware of buying loose stones. They may very well be glass. A quick test is to put the stone against your cheek. A natural stone will turn warm whilst glass will stay cold.

Archived