Road to Hana

TravelingFamily5

It's not being widened, but it does have a good road surface now if you haven't been in a long time. (long time ago was famous for badly paved portions)

The link explains that there were a couple earthquakes and they closed it a couple years to shore up possible rock falls.

awesome! It's too bad that when I was there last summer '07 I drove all the way up and had to turn back around. I remembered it took over 8 hours that entire day because of sight seeing, eating, etc..... I don't think I'm goin back to Hana anytime soon or for awhile! Hana reminds me of Hwy 1 off the Central California coast and i'm not goin back on that road either.

We just returned from a cruise on the POA (9-27 to 10-4) and did the Road to Hana excursion offered by the ship. There was one place where a temporary bridge had been setup as they were working on fixing the permanent bridge, so this may haave been why it was closed for a while.

Although I enjoyed the trip and the scenery my husband hated it. He was absolutely miserable and made his dissatisfaction evident. The roads have not been widened and are very narrow. The AC on our bus was not working correctly and it was extremely hot. Our bus driver was extremely knowledgeable about the area and the history of the islands.

We just returned from a cruise on the POA (9-27 to 10-4) and did the Road to Hana excursion offered by the ship. There was one place where a temporary bridge had been setup as they were working on fixing the permanent bridge, so this may haave been why it was closed for a while.

Although I enjoyed the trip and the scenery my husband hated it. He was absolutely miserable and made his dissatisfaction evident. The roads have not been widened and are very narrow. The AC on our bus was not working correctly and it was extremely hot. Our bus driver was extremely knowledgeable about the area and the history of the islands.

That's part of why it's still closed, but it had been closed since the earthquake in October 2006 due to damage, falling rocks and debris, and then later because of the possibility of more of the same. There had been talk of never reopening it to the general public because of the conditions of part of the road. Seems wiser heads prevailed and decided to actually improve the road conditions as much as possible. People will still need to drive carefully and not after dark.

beachchick

We're planning on driving the RtH on the first morning that our cruise ship arrives in Maui.

So, leaving port in Kahului, do you recommend driving the backroad to Hana then following the northern coastline on the return trip to port? I guess that would be counter clockwise??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I think counter clockwise is good unless there was bad weather the day before. Because if there is bad weather the place that might get washed out/closed is right before hana, would be maddening to drive that far just before the good stuff and have to turn back.

I highly recommend getting an early start as best you can. That way you have time to kick back at hamoa beach, venus pool, etc..

Nothing to beat Hway 1 from Carmel to Big Sur! Yes -- we have driven the Road to Hana. But please do come back and enjoy the view.

awesome! It's too bad that when I was there last summer '07 I drove all the way up and had to turn back around. I remembered it took over 8 hours that entire day because of sight seeing, eating, etc..... I don't think I'm goin back to Hana anytime soon or for awhile! Hana reminds me of Hwy 1 off the Central California coast and i'm not goin back on that road either.

Is it really that hard of a drive? I am all for renting a car and doing the drive ourselves. I don't want to stress my DH with all the driving. My attitude is lets just go and see what its like, what can be the worse to happen? If we don't like the turns and curves we stop and find somehwere to spend the day. Does this sound reasonable?

We are in our early 50's and drive Detroit freeways all the time. LOL

That is going to be our plan completely. Stop along the way going and coming back, when and where we want to, and not rush, as we are staying in a condo on Maui that week that we will drive it. But be forewarned, our rental company has us sign an agreement that we will NOT drive the round trip on the back side of the mountain. If you do it and you get stuck, they will NOT come and get you and if there is damage to the car, your own insurance and their insurance (whichever one you are using) can refuse to cover you cause you signed the agreement. Actually, the plan is eat breakfast at Charley's before we head out on the road and then eat supper at Mama's after we get back. These are do not miss restaurants and it works out perfectly. Bigred

To Mali06 & Mike,

With the upgrades to the road, is it really a big risk to take the rental car on the back route?

Also, going counter clockwise, how long will it take approx. to get to Hana from Kahului?

Mali06 - those restaurants sound interesting - where are they, approximately, on the RtH route?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Hi Kayo Kruiser: Well, Charley's is in Paia at 142 Hana Hwy just at the beginning of the highway. It is partially owned by Willie Nelson and is quite regularly voted best breakfast in Maui. Mama's Fish House is at mile marker 8 on the Hana Hwy. Is famous for their seafood and their ocean views. We will do supper there when we return. Being a seasoned world traveler, I would not personally go anywhere that the rental car companies will not cover. It's just not worth the risk to us. If you have two drivers, and can switch off during the ride and don't stop at all of the places you want to see going TO Hana but save some for on the way back, you will have a great time and not be bored. Good luck which ever way you drive it. Bigred

I'm not a fan of counter-clockwise (that is, from Kahului heading upcountry and then down to Kaupo, etc.) for a couple of reasons.

1) This is pretty important to me - you're always on the outside of the road, the way down there side, the mygodtheroadisnarrow side. There are some turns, especially between Kaupo and Kipahulu, that are pretty impressive and on a very narrow road. I like hugging the cliff rather than hugging air.

2) If you get an early enough start (a big if) you will be ahead of the crowd on the Paia-Hana-Kipahulu stretch of the road the whole day. "On the road as early as possible" is almost mandatory.

3) if you do counter clockwise you'll be in the heavy return traffic the whole way from Hana to Paia, and getting to the interesting stops along the way when you're already tired. The VAST majority of drivers do not go the whole way around but venture as far as Hana or O'heo gulch and then bo back, under the mistaken belief that the road beyond is evil incarnate. It isn't. It's narrow for a bit, bumpy for a while, and remarkably interesting -and faster by an hour from Kipahulu to Kahului.

I'm really happy it's open. When we were on Maui in June for a couple weeks I didn't even bother with Hana because the south road was still closed. It's a great treat.

rwegoneyet, ,let me help. First, google on Maui Map and open any of them. From Kahului you go almost directly east to Hana, through Paia etc. to Hana, which is near the far east tip of Maui. The road then swings southward through Kipahulu (near O'heo Gulch) and then around the south side of the island, where it heads west through Kaupo (only a store!) then up to Ulupalukaetc, then Kula and back down to Kahului.

The "road to Hana" is the first stretch to Hana. The way I described is clockwise around that part of Maui. The other direction is counterclockwise. The road was closed due to damage from an earthquake just past Kipahulu, southbound. So when you're in Kipahulu or O'heo Gulch you again have the option of retracing your route or heading the southern route back to Kahului. I prefer the latter for different scenery, far fewer crowds, and the fact it's also about an hour faster back to the stoplight at Kahului (where the two directions merge). It's a twisty narrow road for a couple of miles. If you're worried about whether it's closed, check at the visitor center at O'heo Gulch. They have a sign with current road conditions. I've never seen it closed due to weather.

Archived