Smart casual and up?

lysolqn

Will be on Constellation for a two-week Canada/NE cruise and are a bit confused about the "and up" part of the smart casual equation. Don't mean to be rude, but please respond only if you've sailed since the new dress code was introduced. How "up" from smart casual did pax dress? DH will have his tux for formal nights but isn't sure if he should bring suits/ties, or if slax and a dress shirt will be fine on smart casual nights. Do the majority of pax appear to be leaning toward smart casual or "and up"? Thanks.

I was on Mercury last month. The gentlemen's dress code for Smart Casual and Above are: pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirt must have sleeves. I didn't notice male passengers in suits and ties on these evenings, but I suppose that anyone can do so.

For ladies: skirt or pants complemented by sweater or blouse.

Have a great time on Constellation!

Donald.

Just got off the Century and for smart casual nights I wore navy blue or black dockers with nice golf shirts which about 50% of the men wore. The rest of the men wore button shirts both long and short sleeves, silk Tommy Bahama or Hawaiian shirts with and without coats. I saw no ties or suits on SC nights.

On SC nights in the Muranos specialty restaurant I wore a long sleeve dress shirt with no tie but a coat and I would say the night we ate there it was about 50% with coats and ties.

I feel that the dresscode "Smart Casual" depends on the itinerary. I was on the Westbound TA-Constellation, 2 weeks ago, and Smart Casual bordered on Informalwear. I personally tend to dress on the Informal side...but it definitely wasn't strictly casual clothing.

I feel that the dresscode "Smart Casual" depends on the itinerary. I was on the Westbound TA-Constellation, 2 weeks ago, and Smart Casual bordered on Informalwear. I personally tend to dress on the Informal side...but it definitely wasn't strictly casual clothing.

and for the last two weeks it was mostly back yard casual. Standards really changed when the experienced cruisers left and a much older, and less seasoned cruisers took over. The ship was also dead after 10 pm.

and for the last two weeks it was mostly back yard casual. Standards really changed when the experienced cruisers left and a much older, and less seasoned cruisers took over. The ship was also dead after 10 pm.

Arno, I have always felt that each itinerary takes on it's own atmosphere and ambiance. Taking a B2B proves that point.

We will cruise on the Equinox next year, in Aqua Class, and my assessment of the male dress code is slacks and sport shirt with collar and sleeves ( long or short) for smart casual. Is this the assessment or experience of others since the promulgation of the new dress code? Simply stated, jacket and tie are out for smart casual.

Lastly. formal is not an issue for us, since we always dress black tie.

I totally agree with you. But is it OK to wear this sports jacket and docker for smart casual and up?

378424_Black?wid=230&hei=230&op_sharpen=1

Thanks

Yes. A sports jacket and dockers would be covered by the "and Above" part of "Smart Casual and Above." A jacket is not required but if you want to wear one, do it.

Dave

Me I dress to suit me and that always means and above. I have spent a lot of money on evening and cocktail dresses so can't justify making them redundant!

I love to dress for dinner and whilst I wear long for the formal nights I wear cocktail for the above nights. I don't really mind how others dress and whilst the Australia/New Zealand cruise may be more casual than others I will continue to dress to suit myself and hopefully no one will mind! I am extending my holiday in Australia by 5 weeks and will be attending some social events over the Christmas Season. All I have to worry about is the baggage weights as Singapore Airlines have a £29 per K excess charge. Bought some baggage scales a good investment!

Sue

Hi there people

We are 4 Australians going on a B2B2B cruise on the 21 st of Nov

Can someone tell me what sort of pant is a Docker?

We don’t have a pant of that name but I am sure we have a similar one

Thanks for your time

Ray

Ray,

Dockers refers to a line of casual pants manufactured by Levi Strauss & Company. See: http://us.dockers.com/home/index.jsp. Hope this helps.

Dave

Some will always go to the lowest common denominator and others the highest. It makes sense to me to take into consideration that we are dining in a lovely formal dining room and not at a backyard bar-be-que. Most people have some common sense and dress appropriately.

Dockers is a brand name and they make all kinds of pants.

That looks like a Members Only jacket.

It's Docker's microfiber jacket that I found on Kohl's web site.

Hello Ray,

Here're Docker Cotton pants that you wish know.

They have either flat-front or pleaded-front. Docker is a brand name just like Pamper (diaper) or Xerox (photo copy), other clothing companies sell under differert names like chino etc.

162404?wid=230&hei=230&op_sharpen=1More Views

Dockers® Flat-Front Iron-Free Khaki Pants

Don't even think about getting the iron out of the closet — with these easy-care pants, you'll never have to use it again! Featuring a soft cotton construction that's completely iron-free for improved out-of-the-dryer smoothness. With a sleek permanent crease down the leg. And classic fit with flat-front styling. Plus, a comfortable tab closure at the waist. With slant front pockets and button-through back pockets for a polished finish. In black.

• 4-pocket
  • Zipper fly
  • 100% cotton
  • Machine wash

Some will always go to the lowest common denominator and others the highest. It makes sense to me to take into consideration that we are dining in a lovely formal dining room and not at a backyard bar-be-que. Most people have some common sense and dress appropriately.

Dockers is a brand name and they make all kinds of pants.

I've always wondered what "dockers" were as well...and have not realised they are just what we would term casual trousers.

Like you Ma Bell... I cannot see the point of going into dinner in a lovely dining room with beautifully set tables and dining staff coming around in dinner jackets to take your order... sommeliers offering wine etc etc.... the background music occasionally provided for your delight, like a nice upscale restaurant experience which would cost big money anywhere, and there are folks sitting like they have popped out to eat in Mcdonald's...sorry but that is my opinion.

We don' t eat out at the ship's level of service or choice of food every night of the week so why would I want to pay VERY expensive cruise prices to show up like I was unable to match the ship's dining experience ?

We feel we want to do justice to all the staff who are making an effort to offer an above average dining experience ... so we respond by trying to take a bit more care and effort by dressing appropriately for the place, the service, the food presentation and the other folks who also appreciate the effort these things take to achieve .

I've always wondered what "dockers" were as well...and have not realised they are just what we would term casual trousers.

Like you Ma Bell... I cannot see the point of going into dinner in a lovely dining room with beautifully set tables and dining staff coming around in dinner jackets to take your order... sommeliers offering wine etc etc.... the background music occasionally provided for your delight, like a nice upscale restaurant experience which would cost big money anywhere, and there are folks sitting like they have popped out to eat in Mcdonald's...sorry but that is my opinion.

We don' t eat out at the ship's level of service or choice of food every night of the week so why would I want to pay VERY expensive cruise prices to show up like I was unable to match the ship's dining experience ?

We feel we want to do justice to all the staff who are making an effort to offer an above average dining experience ... so we respond by trying to take a bit more care and effort by dressing appropriately for the place, the service, the food presentation and the other folks who also appreciate the effort these things take to achieve .

The Smart Casual and above pretty much means you can wear anything from slacks and a sport shirt up to a coat and tie if you prefer. It doesn't allow for shorts, jeans or T shirts but I saw all of these on our Century cruise last month on SC nights and no enforcement by the DR staff. But I have quit letting what others wear in the DR effect my cruising experience.

The Smart Casual and above pretty much means you can wear anything from slacks and a sport shirt up to a coat and tie if you prefer. It doesn't allow for shorts, jeans or T shirts but I saw all of these on our Century cruise last month on SC nights and no enforcement by the DR staff. But I have quit letting what others wear in the DR effect my cruising experience.

It doesn't affect my experience one little bit except to make me wonder why on earth folks would not try to make more of an effort to match their surroundings ??.... after all it isn't a place where the tables are never cleaned and piled with used dishes that have not been cleared away, it certainly costs us an arm and a leg just to get to the ship far less what it actually costs you on the ship on top of the travel involved , and the money it costs overall coming from here is not peanuts! So we think it is an experience to try to live up to, not treat it as " just a cheap couple of weeks away."

I know about the new SC rules.. we'll still do our best to do better than they require at minimum to make us feel the huge amount of money we invest in any cruise holiday we take has not been wasted.

Archived