High wattage hairblowers on X ships...

lysolqn

The leatherbound directory in the cabins on X ships indicates that no electrical appliances over 1500 watts may be used. Has anyone ever used a 1875 or 2000 watt hairblower onboard? Do they work at full power, is the power reduced, or do they not work at all? Thanks.

The leatherbound directory in the cabins on X ships indicates that no electrical appliances over 1500 watts may be used. Has anyone ever used a 1875 or 2000 watt hairblower onboard? Do they work at full power, is the power reduced, or do they not work at all? Thanks.

I use a Yellowbird and it uses tons of power. I have never had a problem on an M class ship and I run it off a splitter to which I also have attached other appliances. The "blow power" is great!!

I use a Yellowbird and it uses tons of power. I have never had a problem on an M class ship and I run it off a splitter to which I also have attached other appliances. The "blow power" is great!!

These outlets have circuit breakers - probably 15 amp Maybe 20 Amp

A 2000 watt hair dryer will heat up wires in the wall and could cause a fire -

There is a reason it says no bigger than 1500 watts

"BUT... BUT...." who worries about a little thing like a fire on a ship when there are more IMPORTANT matters like getting hair dry.... or curly ..or straight to be considered. Everyone in the world today is pretty much self-centered (Me included) and what matters to them is what affects them personally. Note that they tout obeying rules & regulations up the wazoo when referring to the vaunted "Dress Code" but a thing that can affect the safety of all passengers are ignored. The world today in a nutshell:confused:

^^^ hey, no need to jump down anyone's throat. the OP simply asked about her hair dryer. there are many people who simply need something stronger than what the ship offers. this isn't being self centered. and besides i never even knew of this and always brought my regular hair dryer aboard. if it was a huge problem and was a BIG danger in causing fires then celebrity would make something like that more known.

Hi herman g :)

When we took our first cruise during the seventies I packed my hair dryer but there was a note in the cabin that the use of hair dryers was forbidden because they were a fire hazard. Once I saw that note, I didn't use it because I would have been endangering the welfare of everyone on the ship.

So I made an appointment with the ship's hair salon and had it done there.

Today people who cruise have an advantage that we didn't have during our first cruise because the ship has dryers in every cabin that are compatible with their electric service.

The hair dryers that they provide in the bathroom are basically WORTHLESS.

I'm not going to put all that effort into getting dressed for dinner and put make up on if I have to walk into the dining room with wet, frizzy hair. It's just not a look.

As for hair dryers out on the market today, I believe most are 1875 or higher.

Hi herman g :)

When we took our first cruise during the seventies I packed my hair dryer but there was a note in the cabin that the use of hair dryers was forbidden because they were a fire hazard. Once I saw that note, I didn't use it because I would have been endangering the welfare of everyone on the ship.

So I made an appointment with the ship's hair salon and had it done there.

Today people who cruise have an advantage that we didn't have during our first cruise because the ship has dryers in every cabin that are compatible with their electric service.

My point exactly - if there is a HD - OK so it is not a super turbo jet dryer but it is a dryer - deal with it

My point exactly - if there is a HD - OK so it is not a super turbo jet dryer but it is a dryer - deal with it

If you have more than five hairs on your head, the dryers provided on the ship are worthless - unless, perhaps, you want to dry the bathroom mirror off after a shower; and, they're not particularly good for that either.

Hi herman g :)So I made an appointment with the ship's hair salon and had it done there.

"An appointment with the ship's hair salon" doesn't cut it (no pun intended!) for those who wash their hair daily.

^^^ i have veryyy longggg thick hair, so i will need something stronger than what the ship offers. my mom doesn't have nearly the amount of hair on her head that i do and she can't even use that thing.

and no, an appt. at the salon can't be made everyday for those who wash their hair every day. it's too expensive and time consuming.

On all the last cruises we were on they had a separate handheld hairdryer in the drawers as they knew the one in the bath was not strong enough. Oceanaia and Azamara had them in all cabins, just like the fridge. Is this just another spot that X falls a little short.:confused: I would HOPE that they'd be OK, if not then blame X for the dangers!

I, too, have noticed the extra hair dryers available.

I have let my hair grow out, and for the first time ever, am having to pack my hairdryer. There are way too many women with hair needs cruising these days, so a twice daily trip to the salon to dry hair is inconcievable. And, yes, twice daily, at least for me. Once in the morning, and then again before dinner.

So I'll be using my hair dryer and also my curling iron. (Sometimes I wonder why I wanted to grow my hair out...)

Shay

Just curious...what does a was and set cost on the ship?

Marianne

Hi cavmom :)

A wash and blow dry on the cruises we took during the past year was $39 but they sometimes have specials during port days.

One of my favorite treats at sea is a Frangapani (not sure about spelling) treatment which includes a very relaxing scalp massage and leaves your hair feeling like silk.

I am surprised that if it is truly considered a hazard to have an appliance at a higher wattage than 1500 that it is not listed somewhere on the website. The list of items that are prohibited clearly states irons and steamers (along with electrical transformers - I never thought of packing one.:confused:) I searched through many pages on the website and couldn't find one mention of hairdyers or a limit in wattage for appliances. Is there any mention of this in the literature that you receive with your cruise docs?

I am betting an 1875 watt hair dryer is probably "effective watts" or something like that. 1875/115=16.3 amps. I doubt a blow dryer is drawing that kind of amperage because it would blow the circuit breakers in pretty much everyone's home. Plus it would need a 12 guage cord

I am betting an 1875 watt hair dryer is probably "effective watts" or something like that. 1875/115=16.3 amps. I doubt a blow dryer is drawing that kind of amperage because it would blow the circuit breakers in pretty much everyone's home. Plus it would need a 12 guage cord

1. Would not want to answer to guest relations when one of the Turbojet Hairdryers blows a circuit breaker.

2. If the documentation says no transformers irons etc - WHY do people think the because they need a more powerful Hairdryer or curling iron it is ok to break the rules. Just like smuggling booze aboard - great if you get away with it -BUT if they get caught they squeal like pigs about how UNFAIR X is - Hmnnn

Archived